IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > 域名

域名 Discussion for Chinese IDN domain names. Chinese domains include .cn, .com, & .net.
This section is for discussion only Please do NOT post Chinese domains for sale here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th September 2007, 12:44 PM

john p is an unknown quantity at this point
Simplified or Traditional ?

Hi,

I have a few questions regarding chinese IDN domains,
and whether to use Simplified or Traditional characters.

- afaik Simplified is used on the Chinese mainland - Traditional in Macau, HK
and Singapore.

- When I do a research on google I get the same results for both versions.

- Baidu automatically changes Traditional into Simplified search results.

- But on Overture I get far better results using Traditional characters.

So which version should I use when registering a chinese IDN ?

I also read that if you register a Domain using Traditional characters,
no one else can register the Simplified version and vice versa -
so technically you get two domains. Is this correct ?

Thanks.
John
Old 9th September 2007, 12:48 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm
Re: Simplified or Traditional ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by john p
Hi,

I have a few questions regarding chinese IDN domains,
and whether to use Simplified or Traditional characters.

- afaik Simplified is used on the Chinese mainland - Traditional in Macau, HK
and Singapore.

- When I do a research on google I get the same results for both versions.

- Baidu automatically changes Traditional into Simplified search results.

- But on Overture I get far better results using Traditional characters.

So which version should I use when registering a chinese IDN ?

I also read that if you register a Domain using Traditional characters,
no one else can register the Simplified version and vice versa -
so technically you get two domains. Is this correct ?

Thanks.
John
Hey John,
If you want to reach a wider audience, register simple chinese.

In some cases, registering the traditional chinese will block registration of the simple chinese and vice versa, and nobody can get the other domain - not even you.

If you register Hong Kong domains, they will give you all variations of the name - simple and traditional.

Old 9th September 2007, 12:55 PM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

Yes, broadly speaking, simplified for the mainland, traditional for HK and Taiwan.

Taiwanese overture is here:
http://inventory.overture.com/d/sear...estion/?mkt=tw

Hong Kong overture is here:
http://inventory.overture.com/d/sear...estion/?mkt=hk

There isn't one for China .. go figure..
Old 9th September 2007, 01:23 PM

john p is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys.

I used the "Overture China" link at the top of the forum and
didn't realise that this only shows results for HK.
That explains the higher results for Traditional Chinese.

cheers
John
Old 9th September 2007, 01:31 PM

mgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enough

Simplified has a much bigger market.

Even in Hong Kong they are pushing Mandarin alot these days. Simplified is seen alot more these days with lots of shop signs etc now can be seen in simplified, whereas before they would have been 100% traditional.
With alot more Mandarin entering HK these days i do not think it will be long before simplified is the main script in HK also, unfortunately..

This is also reflected in the United Nations who have made a decision to use simplified Chinese as the only Chinese characters after 2008.
Nowadays the UN accepts two versions of Chinese characters, namely the traditional Chinese and the simplified Chinese.
After 2008 they will only use Simplified Characters.

Hong Kong 7,000,000
Taiwan 24,000,000
China population 1,400,000,000

For Simplified keyword popularity, use this tool by baidu (China'a most used SE): http://index.baidu.com/
Old 9th September 2007, 02:43 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

I think undoubtedly that we will end up with a single Chinese Script.

It dont believe it will be uniquely Simplified although probably 90-95 percent will go that way. Watch out for the ones that swing back. Cities that have been in existence for thousands of years could easily revert to Traditional forms.
Old 9th September 2007, 02:56 PM

zenmarketing is an unknown quantity at this point

This is the type of question that is perfectly suited to our wiki resource, IDN.org. I have summarized this discussion and created a quick page with all of the pertinent information in response to this commonly asked question:

http://idn.org/Chinese
Old 9th September 2007, 05:35 PM

Asiaplay is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

- Traditional characters will not disappear (and if their ever ends up being only one type of written Chinese, I believe it would be Tradtional)...
People in Hong Kong and Taiwan see simplified characters as being for peasants (a little how a native English speaker perhaps would see pigeon English).
Simplification of characters has helped general literacy in China - but it has also corrupted the Chinese language to a large degree.

Note that although the UN is moving to a single Chinese script it is more Cantonese it has dropped.
Also this is as, it is a large expense & cost to have it as an official UN language (which means ALL UN documents must be translated into Traditional characters) when it is perhaps justifiable to have just one Chinese script - and given population figures it is of course obvious why Simplified characters came up the winner for UN documents).

However note for decades there has also been talk in China even, that at some point they should be reverting back to Traditional characters - but I do not see this happening for a long time (however prove of the credibility & importance that China also applies to Traditional characters, can be seen by the fact that in China, every week school students have one class which teaches them Traditional characters - so even in China they are not ignored... remember prior to 1930s all Chinese culture & heritage, in poetry, arts, painting, religion and so on, is based on Traditional characters - with those gone, so is 5000 years of Chinese culture & history!!!).

Also note that in China, many companies will put their company name in Traditional Chinese characters on their business cards or office signboard - as this is seen to be higher class & shows they are is cultured & educated.

However I agree - for IDN and general use...
- for China use Simplified characters (namely .cn),
- for Taiwan & Hong Kong use Traditional characters (namely .hk & .tw)
- for Macau (Traditional vs Simplified - this can be debated... as although historically Traditional characters are what has been used in Macau, now the Macau "permanent resident" population is now probably close to 50% or more of Chinese from Mainland China origin & also most of their business comes from Mainland Chinese tourists - therefore I myself would be inclined to register Simplified Chinese characters in Macau also).
For .com, .net, .biz etc., if you can only register the one variant - then I would register the Simplified characters version, due to the fact that the China market is obviously the largest single market of the four, in terms of population and target users compared to the other 3 markets.

Just some add on comments - Cheers, Asiaplay

Last edited by Asiaplay; 9th September 2007 at 05:55 PM..
Old 10th September 2007, 01:11 AM

mgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enough

I am sure traditional script will never be adopted again on the mainland.

While simplified may be seen as for 'peasants', Hong Kongers understand the importance/reliance on the mainland (which is why many place a large importance on speaking Mandarin), Also the Central Government is pushing Mandarin adn it is in their future plans to include HK in the standardisation.
Also for the younger generations, without preconceptions (of simplified for peasants) where simplified is is easier to learn it will be preferred in some cases.

Quote:
(however prove of the credibility & importance that China also applies to Traditional characters, can be seen by the fact that in China, every week school students have one class which teaches them Traditional characters - so even in China they are not ignored...

I have taught around China, and can say that no school teaches traditional characters as per say. Maybe for ancient texts etc. But it is not taught to learn the script, more to learn the poetry/art etc that was written in it.

Even in Guangdong, among all the Cantonese speakers I know very few can read well traditional script, and most have little desire to learn. Only those in business and the older generation.
Around the rest of China, about zero is known of traditional characters.

Quote:
Also note that in China, many companies will put their company name in Traditional Chinese characters on their business cards or office signboard - as this is seen to be higher class & shows they are is cultured & educated.
This is just a design thing i think. And again applies to the older generations, and this is used alot alot less for companies in the last couple of decades.

Quote:
Mr. Zhou Youguang, a reputed Chinese linguist, points out that the future application of simplified Chinese will justify the simplification of Chinese characters, which has won majority approval throughout the world. At the same time, as China becomes more influential in the globe, a larger number of people will learn Chinese. Under this circumstance, simplified Chinese will gradually become the exclusive standard of Chinese characters.

Regarding the application of simplified Chinese in other regions congregating Chinese people except for the mainland, experts indicate that many schools in Hong Kong have promoted putonghua education. Though the HK Special Administrative Region government has not made a specific policy, the public is paying more attention to putonghua education. In addition, some Taiwanese also use simplified Chinese.

I think ultimately simplified will win out in the end. Which of course is a great shame and would be a great loss.
Old 10th September 2007, 02:44 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Go for simplified, fewer strokes, saves printer ink/toner. :o
Old 10th September 2007, 03:58 AM

Hi All,

- time will tell (it will not be lost however for a long time in Hong Kong and Taiwan)...

Comments were more so Rubber Duck can understand that having a single Chinese script is unlikely (and there are possibilities that, if that actually happened ,that it would be Traditional which wins out in the end).

However (comments were made more to teach / enlighten some of those here on this topic & so they could understand how strongly 99% of Traditional character users feel on this topic... and not under estimate there use in Hong Kong & Taiwan)...

Also to be honest, I agree if there ever is a change to Traditional character use in China (which is I think is possible)... it is unlikely to be while I am still alive to see it.

Cheers - Asiaplay

PS: Mgrohan.... it is not a separate subject in schools in China - it is taught as a lesson within Chinese literature etc. and as to how simplification system actually works (so it is unlikely you would notice it when teaching English in China... and I agree that it is really only University graduates who can really read traditional characters well in China - and then it also depends on how lazy they are... like English among University Graduates, the girls generally are better than the guys... )

I however disagree that it is only the older generation who uses Traditional Chinese Characters on Business cards & company signboards (that is totally incorrect) - but no issue... just here to discuss - cheers & thanks for your comments.
Old 10th September 2007, 04:49 AM
Veteran

Here, i found a few interest youtubes on how some chinese characters evolved from the time of Oracle bones (6000 BC-8000 BC) till simplified.

Horse - http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ow40yYo6VGk

Tortoise - http://youtube.com/watch?v=JJNY8RU61W4

Electricity - http://youtube.com/watch?v=hHrV6nFiQK8

btw, i think these are also kanji characters.
Old 10th September 2007, 06:25 AM

Touchring... cool is a whole series of them... I have a great book on these as well.

Simplified characters... yeah... around 1000 or so are kanji exacts (which makes writing easier for Japanese people when the go to learn Chinese - they are just that little bit ahead of others with no character skills )

Cheers - Asiaplay
Old 10th September 2007, 06:46 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaplay
Touchring... cool is a whole series of them... I have a great book on these as well.

Simplified characters... yeah... around 1000 or so are kanji exacts (which makes writing easier for Japanese people when the go to learn Chinese - they are just that little bit ahead of others with no character skills )

Cheers - Asiaplay

Check out the rest. There are a few dozen characters.
Old 19th September 2007, 07:40 AM

unsucceed is an unknown quantity at this point

maybe this site is a good : http://www.iciba.com
邻里中心.com [neighborhood centre] 无线射频.com [RFID.COM]