IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th September 2007, 01:23 PM
Banned

goidn is an unknown quantity at this point
Monty owns i-phone.com ++

You'd be surprised what else he owns:: Lotsa idn
Old 10th September 2007, 01:39 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy
Re: Monty owns i-phone.com ++

Quote:
Originally Posted by goidn

list
Old 10th September 2007, 01:44 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:

List.

I hope some of these rich dudes will be lightening my load sometime soon :-)

Old 10th September 2007, 01:51 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Unlike the Pump and Dump hoists surrounding dot Mobi, there is an eery still around IDN. Dont let that fool you into believing nothing is happening.
Old 10th September 2007, 01:51 PM
Banned

There no clear TM on the iPhone name, even after $100 mil spent by Apple, of which #37.5m for the domain itself.
Old 10th September 2007, 01:59 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Unlike the Pump and Dump hoists surrounding dot Mobi, there is an eery still around IDN. Dont let that fool you into believing nothing is happening.

Every time I post a sales thread, nothing happens! And these are domains which are rated between 8 and 10 by Arabic people...

In fact, the sales inside this forum have sailed to a grinding halt since the past 3 months. People don't offer anything anymore except really crappy domains, and when something good is offered nobody bites unless you give it away. But they have no problem giving lots of money to Snap for domains of lesser quality...

Old 10th September 2007, 03:01 PM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
But they have no problem giving lots of money to Snap for domains of lesser quality...
This is as old as this forum .. some are under the misguided impression that if it is not worth paying the renewal fee for, gets dropped, snap pick it up ... suddenly it acquires this mysterious 'glow' of imminent wealth.
Old 10th September 2007, 03:24 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Every time I post a sales thread, nothing happens! And these are domains which are rated between 8 and 10 by Arabic people...

In fact, the sales inside this forum have sailed to a grinding halt since the past 3 months. People don't offer anything anymore except really crappy domains, and when something good is offered nobody bites unless you give it away. But they have no problem giving lots of money to Snap for domains of lesser quality...

Yes, and if you look back through this thread you will find one prime example of a guy that has only ever really only ever bought from Snapnames bleating abou the fact he didnt get the chance to buy privately. Trust me, most domainers including IDNers are complete tossers. Hold your domains and wait for the traffic. Local markets aftermarkets will eventually emerge. Maybe some top ASCII guys will see the light and invest heavily, but dont lose faith, the end of the journey is just around the next bend. The Holy Grail is the traffic, and those with the best names will be seeing evidence of that emerging.
Old 10th September 2007, 03:36 PM

burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point

We have all had this same complaint. No one wants to sell a 'premium' and no one wants to pay for one. Good names go unsold, even at low prices. Same as it ever was....

I "gave away" my last good one to Bill and that was that. At least it went to a buddy. I keep or drop. No more auctions.
Old 10th September 2007, 03:45 PM
Veteran

Same here. If at some future date we cannot meet renewals we will drop the second rate stuff, but don´t hold your breath. When was my last attempt at an auction?

How long can a man keep his composure when everyone just takes the piss? The number of times I have handed out list to prospective buyers not even to recieve an acknowledgement just defies belief.

This is about quality and we will hold the quality.
Old 10th September 2007, 03:51 PM
Banned

Back to Monty.

A few year back I uploaded 100+ names to Moniker.
There were 7 generics among them.
The next day I got 7 offers on those.

I sold 1 one of them. The other 6 are still 'frozen', meaning they're invisible to the surfers and no one can bid on them.

I got friendly with one of the reps who's no longer there. We went surfing & had a drink.
Here's his story:
That one name was bought by Monty, or rather by one of the fake LLPs he set up in Pompano Beach.
And Monty was the one who bid on all those generics.
As a matter of fact, Monty scans all new portfolios and bids on everything he likes.

If there is no deal on a particular domain he makes that name 'invisible' till he gets it.

There are currently thousands of 'invisible' names on Moniker.
In fact, Moniker operates as a private net where Monty swims.

Occasionally he loses a deal. Apparently, he is a cheapskate & doesn't like to hire lawyers.
He represents himself every time there is a conflict with a client.
Old 10th September 2007, 05:31 PM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yes, and if you look back through this thread you will find one prime example of a guy that has only ever really only ever bought from Snapnames bleating abou the fact he didnt get the chance to buy privately.
Who?

Quote:
The number of times I have handed out list to prospective buyers not even to recieve an acknowledgement just defies belief..
I stopped giving out lists a long time ago

I actually planted a few .com's in a few lists just to see if the .net's would be picked off .. whadaya know ...

Last edited by mulligan; 10th September 2007 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10th September 2007, 06:16 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

Quote:
Back to Monty.

A few year back I uploaded 100+ names to Moniker.
There were 7 generics among them.
The next day I got 7 offers on those.

I sold 1 one of them. The other 6 are still 'frozen', meaning they're invisible to the surfers and no one can bid on them.

I got friendly with one of the reps who's no longer there. We went surfing & had a drink.
Here's his story:
That one name was bought by Monty, or rather by one of the fake LLPs he set up in Pompano Beach.
And Monty was the one who bid on all those generics.
As a matter of fact, Monty scans all new portfolios and bids on everything he likes.

If there is no deal on a particular domain he makes that name 'invisible' till he gets it.

There are currently thousands of 'invisible' names on Moniker.
In fact, Moniker operates as a private net where Monty swims.

Occasionally he loses a deal. Apparently, he is a cheapskate & doesn't like to hire lawyers.
He represents himself every time there is a conflict with a client.
Interesting
Old 10th September 2007, 07:29 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:

Just been having a catch up reading.

so to summarise... we are where we were a few months ago, except the morale is in the toilet.

interesting.

so is it time to bail out yet?
Old 10th September 2007, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale

so is it time to bail out yet?

According to Dabsi, it is - except strangely, she's not selling.

Old 10th September 2007, 08:21 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Just been having a catch up reading.
so to summarise... we are where we were a few months ago, except the morale is in the toilet. interesting. so is it time to bail out yet?
Guess this is final shakeout period to seperate the men from the boys.
So at the same time probably worth going back thru all that has transpired over that past decade with ICANN and Verisign working to bring the IDN system forward in a plan that would allow it to operate in the existing DNS structure. The system was designed with a lot of input by some pretty keen engineers. The unicode/punycode system that was designed from the bottom up, with intention to give maximum flexibilty and simplicity to encomapassing near unlimited loads of languages and scripts. And what made sense was that the entire system operates on the basis of the existing a-z, 1-9,0 and- that has already proven sound and workable.

What I see now are the "back seat" drivers throwing out ideas and alternate schemes. Some of it might work, and I think ways to accomodate idn.idn are viable for some languages. And to be politically correct ICANN is giving "them" their fair share of face time and that has included ongoing and upcoming trials and tests. No doubt the holy grail of the intenet would be to put unlimited foreign language scripts and urls into the root, but it is doubtful that any scenerio like that would ever be supported whole hog for all languages and scripts. There is far to much complexity and unknowns in even contemplating this across the board. And politcally many languages will have to be left out or put on the back burner for future consideration. How will that be determined?

Last edited by bwhhisc; 10th September 2007 at 10:03 PM..
Old 10th September 2007, 09:27 PM

burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point

Dabsi is not bailing out and only a few here have even considered that.

Some here consider only non-Latin IDN to be worth anything. She proposes the opposite view.

One thing that haunts me is that, rather than acknowledging the argument and debating it, most here simply toss ad hominems at Dabsi.

We are all in this together. Many of us started in 2005 and earlier - much earlier. I believe that we simply should discuss the possibility that idn.idn may bring about a new round of goldrushes for a host of new gTLDs.

We saw how .biz and .org launched round after round of language-specific goldrushes. Why would ICANN not do this? It is guaranteed money. Giving away the gTLD to current IDN holders would add nothing to the bottom line compared to launching wave after wave of country specific dot com and then dot net registrations. They are not shy about adding new extensions. They are building support (with our help) for IDNs. We should consider this a real possibility.

If this does happen, some here claim that dot com is a global brand and that this would have no impact. Others believe that these separate gTLDs would dilute the value of ascii gTLDs and that development would be key to success. Finally, some here believe that idn gTLDs would sound the death knell for all but Latin IDNs.

I believe that all these opinions can coexist, in space, if not time. Just as the acceptance of IDN has been measured in years (for many reasons), idn.ascii was first on the block and the global dot com brand will always some success. That success may wane over time, but ascii dot com will undoubtedly remain a global force. The same argument has to be made for ascii.ascii domains to be logically sound. At some point, development will also play a role in the success of a domain and extension. At some point in the future, idn.idn (as separate gTLDs) would have the upper hand against idn.ascii, just as idn.ascii may have the advantage over ascii.ascii now.

I would prefer to call this a nightmare scenario. However, it is possible. If we don't discuss it here, where can we discuss it? We all deserve to know the risks. We are also the best people to discuss the solutions. For example, have your 'buy' lists ready for idn.idn - just in case. If we see it happen with one language, we know it will happen for all.

We are some of the best people in this business and we are the most able to make a killing if the worst happens. We can pair up the idn.idn with our own best idn.ascii domains. We can sell the idn.ascii to the idn.idn holders.

Take a lesson from New Orleans. We should, at the very least, be prepared.
Old 10th September 2007, 09:56 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

interesting post Burns.

I guess the question I should be asking is how do you measure success, and failure - and when do you call it?

Either you keep renewing for the rest of your life, muttering "not long now", or you have some sort of cut off.

Lets face it, if you have a self sufficient portfolio, then yes you can sit back and wait for ever, why not?

but if you haven't, and many haven't, when do you call it a day? there has to be some measure right? some deadline?

I'm no pessimist, but i'm no rose tinted glasses wearing optomist either... bottom line is only a fool keeps running forward without a game plan, without an end game.

I'm just curious as to what peoples end game looks like..
Old 10th September 2007, 10:07 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=burnsinternet] We can pair up the idn.idn with our own best idn.ascii domains. We can sell the idn.ascii to the idn.idn holders. [QUOTE]

What is so terrible about idn.com co-existing with idn.idn.
Dozens of extensions work side by side today, why is truly so different?
Old 10th September 2007, 10:07 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
interesting post Burns.

I guess the question I should be asking is how do you measure success, and failure - and when do you call it?

Either you keep renewing for the rest of your life, muttering "not long now", or you have some sort of cut off.

Lets face it, if you have a self sufficient portfolio, then yes you can sit back and wait for ever, why not?

but if you haven't, and many haven't, when do you call it a day? there has to be some measure right? some deadline?

I'm no pessimist, but i'm no rose tinted glasses wearing optomist either... bottom line is only a fool keeps running forward without a game plan, without an end game.

I'm just curious as to what peoples end game looks like..
The game only started when IE7 was released in 2006 and IDNs, for the vast majority of people outside this forum, will only become more than a "future technology" when nearly all the people on the planet can type them into their browser. And in most markets, that of course relies on IE7 adoption reaching critical mass.

Once that happens, you then have to wait for IDN sites to be launched, publicity to happen about this "great new technology" etc etc.

So for my money, we are still 2-3 years away from making strategic decisions about our IDN portfolio and what the "end user" really thinks about them, and what their value will eventually become.

For now, renew, and absorb the pain.