IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > 域名

域名 Discussion for Chinese IDN domain names. Chinese domains include .cn, .com, & .net.
This section is for discussion only Please do NOT post Chinese domains for sale here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th March 2006, 01:55 AM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice
Post List of all still available one char Chinese

It took me one week to go thought a 700 page standard dictionary of Chinese and select all the interesting one character words that were still not registered.
(on .com and .net, since they are all registered/not avail on .cn)

Them I checked them against Google, Yahoo, Got BabelFish Translation and OT tw and hk values. I excluded all with less than 1 million Google hits.

I got a 20 page list, registered 19 of the best ones but the rest is still available.

I am almost broke. I am selling my report to make some cash to register more. Price for exclusivity is 1k. Friday I’ll start selling it without exclusivity for $50. The price will decrease $5 each day for 10 days. After that it’s free, although it might be useless by then.

Note: In order to be free, on the 03-18-2006, I need to make at least $150 buck on it.

Disclaimer: It is provided as is. No guarantees. Domains were checked 3 days ago.

Olney: Is this ok? If not, please delete and inform me why not. Thanks.

Last edited by jose; 17th March 2006 at 06:31 PM..
Old 8th March 2006, 07:26 AM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road
Re: List of all still available one char Chinese

If you checked using overture hk and tw, does that mean this is a list of the traditional chinese characters and not simplified?
Old 8th March 2006, 03:40 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

gammascalper: It's both simp and trad. Finding simp on hk and tw OT is allways very good news, even thought the figures may be very small.
Old 8th March 2006, 04:50 PM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road

Thanks jose. That's good information. It looks like you spent alot of time and effort to compile this list.
Old 16th March 2006, 10:56 AM

59domain is an unknown quantity at this point

Looking forward to look at the list
Old 19th March 2006, 05:26 PM

Lmg67 is an unknown quantity at this point

is the list available now? if so, i'd love a copy. you can email it to me, my email address is listed.

thanks, great work. did you make some money from it?
laurie
Old 19th March 2006, 07:04 PM
Veteran

Update: no one bought the list, so I didn't make the minimum value required to make it free to all.

However and as you can see from this topic:

http://www.idnforums.com/forums/1563...name%3F-2.html

the value of the list is now much lower, since I registered some of the still good ones available and many other people registered many others. It’s really a race to get hem all.
Yet, the list still has some more than one million Google results and some OT (2/3 digit) JP (mainly).
Old 25th March 2006, 02:11 AM
Veteran

Exclamation Re: List of all still available one char Chinese

Update on the list:
I am sorry but I have been busy in the last couple of days. Lots of people sent me PM asking for me to sell the list.

To whom shall I send it in order to be fair to everyone? I mean, the first one to get it might register the best ones first. I am open to suggestions...

I have just rechecked the first 10 domains on the list and only one was already registered:
勃 [bo2] /flourishing/prosperous/suddenly/abruptly/
It was registered on the 22-mar-2006

So, this seems to indicate that 9/10 might still be available, but I can’t promise anything.

Some people also asked me to count the domains on the list. I have: the list still contains 295 one char Chinese domains. Keep in mind that if you count the different tradicional and simplified representation, for example: 傳 传 [zhuan4] /biography/, the number will grow much bigger. (I only counted once the example shown)

Last edited by jose; 25th March 2006 at 02:15 AM..
Old 25th March 2006, 03:18 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Jose- why dont you put it up on a 48 hour best price wins auction...then that person can reg with at they want and maybe put it up on a sloppy 3rds auction.
Old 25th March 2006, 04:32 PM
Veteran

Thanks for the hint bwhhisc. I already have thought about that. The problem is that I think every auction implies that the person interested should be able to examine in detail what he/she is bidding on. With domains there's no need because there's no much to know about a domain than it's name.

To my buyers I was going to send the list first and ask for the payment afterwords, just in case the list fails to fullfill what promised... and becuase I was pretty sure it would not.

However and if everyone agrees that's not an issue and I'll start the bidding in a couple of days.
Old 25th March 2006, 10:14 PM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point

Unlike other domainers, I do not particularly like single Chinese character domains if they do not have very obvious meaning by themselves.

But since everybody feels interested in single characters, I will spend a few hours to find out what have been registered and what have not, and by whom.

My initial search show Jose's list is probably too late to be useful. I will post the result only when most of the characters are taken.

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@

Last edited by Giant; 26th March 2006 at 01:33 PM..
Old 26th March 2006, 07:29 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
Unlike other domainers, I do not particularly like single Chinese character domains if they do not have very obvious meaning by itself.

But since everybody feels interested in single characters, I will spend a few hours to find out what have been registered and what have not, and by whom.

My initial search show Jose's list is probably too late to be useful. I will post the result only when most of the characters are taken.

Well, there's always the greater fool theory. A meaningless single character bought in ignorance can always be sold to another ignorant person for $20-$80. We've seen this happening the past 2 mths.

Henceforth, a single character will always be worth more than reg fee (at least at the current moment), regardless of meaning.

In any event, a single meaningless chinese character has more substance than one of those 2-character letter/number .coms being peddled for couple thousand dollars.

Last edited by touchring; 26th March 2006 at 07:40 AM..
Old 26th March 2006, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Well, there's always the greater fool theory. A meaningless single character bought in ignorance can always be sold to another ignorant person for $20-$80. We've seen this happening the past 2 mths.
Yes, a false impression of the value of these domains is creating a real market for them.

Quote:
In any event, a single meaningless chinese character has more substance than one of those 2-character letter/number .coms being peddled for couple thousand dollars.
Well, I have to disagree with you on this.

English letters by themselves have a lot of flexible meanings, that's why single-letter or double-letter domains are so expensive.

Example:

HR.com can represent Human Resources or thousands of other terms, but what can you identify 以.com with? "以" has no any meaning at all by itself.
If you are building houses (or any business) and you tell me your website is 以.com, please do not expect me to still remember it the very next day.

HR.com or BBC.com is a piece of fine art. Worth more than $100K? Absolutely!

以.com? Worth $7? I don't think so! :-)

@
Old 26th March 2006, 02:30 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
Yes, a false impression of the value of these domains is creating a real market for them.

Well, I have to disagree with you on this.

English letters by themselves have a lot of flexible meanings, that's why single-letter or double-letter domains are so expensive.

Example:

HR.com can represent Human Resources or thousands of other terms, but what can you identify 以.com with? "以" has no any meaning at all by itself.
If you are building houses (or any business) and you tell me your website is 以.com, please do not expect me to still remember it the very next day.

HR.com or BBC.com is a piece of fine art. Worth more than $100K? Absolutely!

以.com? Worth $7? I don't think so! :-)

HR.com or BBC.com is not "just" a few thousand dollars, but rather, a few hundred thousand dollars to a million dollars. I'm talking about letter and number combo domains.
Old 26th March 2006, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

I checked single char's. Anything with even a half-reasonable OV score+bid that was available couldn't be regged due to the other script variant locking it out.
Old 26th March 2006, 06:27 PM
Veteran

Drewbert: LOL. I wonder what were you expecting?! The best ones were registered back on 2000! My list contains one char with better the 0 OT (either from TW or HK or JP). The best ones have 4 digit figures and the must part is on the 50 to 500 OT range.
Old 27th March 2006, 12:19 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

That's what I'm saying.

Do you know those ones on your list can be registered, or are they blocked?
Old 27th March 2006, 01:02 AM
Veteran

I was hitting a lot of variants when I was trying the top ones, two month ago. For the 4letter range OT and below variants are very rare.

.cn blocked all 1 char and I think .jp also(?!) so that makes them more valuable. Remenber that 1 letter domains were also blocked and Verisign wants to sell them now for zillions.

Example of variants I hit:

維 维 [wei2] /to preserve/to maintain/to hold together/dimension/ Ov_358+681
衛 卫 [wei4] /to guard/to protect/to defend/(surname)/ Ov_trad_3643+727
亞 亚 [ya4] /Asia/Asian/second/next to/inferior/
葯 葯 [yao4] /medicine/drug/
醫 医 [yi1] /medical/medicine/doctor/to cure/to treat/
種 种 [zhong3] /kind/type/race/breed/seed/species (taxonomy)/
資 资 [zi1] /resources/capital/to provide/to supply/to support/money/expense/

Last edited by jose; 27th March 2006 at 01:09 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 28th March 2006, 04:12 PM
Veteran

List sold! Thanks all.
Old 16th April 2006, 06:59 AM

Jose already sold his list, I think it's time for me to list all remaining single character domains so that our members can register them if they feel interested.

There are still more than 400 characters available, but it's up to you to decide if they are worth registering. Since I understand Chinese and to help you save time, I will mark about 100 of them that I think have values.

I will list them at the Members Only section on Monday April 17, 2006 at 9 pm Eastern Time (Toronto).

@

Last edited by Giant; 16th April 2006 at 07:04 AM..