IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th March 2006, 08:39 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
It is impossible for China to split the global Internet domain name system

Thanks to Sarcle for posting this article at DNF. If there are Doubting Thomases amongst you then this should clarify things. It comes from the Horses Mouth in Unambigious English.

http://www.interfax.cn/showfeature.asp?aid=10717

"The report about .CN domain name was misinterpreted by the People's Daily, which also brought us a lot of trouble and inquires," said Liu. "It is impossible for China to split the global Internet domain name system and operate our own root servers separately."
Old 8th March 2006, 11:48 AM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough
Re: It is impossible for China to split the global Internet domain name system

Yes it's funny. Some still like the feeling of their own verbal masturbation to see that is their last train of thought leaving the station. Some think they can steamroll us with their own bullshit there are no facts left for them to counter with now, it is all over as long as bureaucracy doesn't tear this apart.

I am looking for my island now. It's time for me to tend my own garden.
Old 8th March 2006, 11:54 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcle
Yes it's funny. Some still like the feeling of their own verbal masturbation to see that is their last train of thought leaving the station. Some think they can steamroll us with their own bullshit there are no facts left for them to counter with now, it is all over as long as bureaucracy doesn't tear this apart.

I am looking for my island now. It's time for me to tend my own garden.
Yes, but most of the most prolific of those torrents of verbal excretia, appear to have dried up a little lately!

Islands, yes something not too low lying, good climate, not too small. Is Hawaii taken?
Old 8th March 2006, 12:04 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Yes, but most of the most prolific of those torrents of verbal excretia, appear to have dried up a little lately!

Islands, yes something not too low lying, good climate, not too small. Is Hawaii taken?

The ones that still want to play the "hate idn" game are the ones that have an IQ of 10. I almost feel bad setting them straight as they are far to stupid, and they know it, to grasp any of the technical stuff that idn involves.

Like I said, we are golden now with this new report. It's all just a matter of them implementing it in a time effecient manner.

As far as Hawaii, as long as I can grow my own coffee I will be happy. You of course, Dave, will have your own private landing strip when you feel like visiting for our next plan of taking the world by the "short and curlys"!
Old 8th March 2006, 04:41 PM

OldIDNer is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you dwrixon.

We are having a long discussion about this here btw:

http://www.domainstate.com/showthrea...5&pagenumber=1
Old 8th March 2006, 05:10 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
"The report about .CN domain name was misinterpreted by the People's Daily, which also brought us a lot of trouble and inquires," said Liu. "It is impossible for China to split the global Internet domain name system and operate our own root servers separately."
Looks like the beans are being spilled. Read behind the lines. Actually, China has started splitting the root in the "virtual sense" since 1st March, without operating their own root servers separately.

Last edited by touchring; 8th March 2006 at 05:12 PM..
Old 8th March 2006, 05:16 PM

The good thing about this is that they desire to work with ICANN.
Old 8th March 2006, 06:04 PM

idnceo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldIDNer
Thank you dwrixon.

We are having a long discussion about this here btw:

http://www.domainstate.com/showthrea...5&pagenumber=1
I liked the discussion there, in my opinion many guys are right and more visionary on betting a lot for ccTLD as a domain that will get a better value withing China, Japan, etc.

A music.cn movies.cn medicine.cn business.cn for me will rock better than a chinese IDN .com at the long term, in some other words like car.com is better the .com for obvious reasons. I dont know if i explain my point but thanks for bringing that discussion here, there are way too many pro .com in here who doesnt understand the point of the potential of ccTLD .cn in the view of Asian native speakers, they have lived too long in .com and they cant share the nationalism position. Good that China got big balls to fight the american ICANN. Long life to .中国 !
Old 8th March 2006, 06:55 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnceo
I liked the discussion there, in my opinion many guys are right and more visionary on betting a lot for ccTLD as a domain that will get a better value withing China, Japan, etc.

A music.cn movies.cn medicine.cn business.cn for me will rock better than a chinese IDN .com at the long term, in some other words like car.com is better the .com for obvious reasons. I dont know if i explain my point but thanks for bringing that discussion here, there are way too many pro .com in here who doesnt understand the point of the potential of ccTLD .cn in the view of Asian native speakers, they have lived too long in .com and they cant share the nationalism position. Good that China got big balls to fight the american ICANN. Long life to .中国 !

I wouldn't dare so quickly make a conclusion, there's no clearcut winner for the case of China, especially, for CNNIC TLD, there are 3 idn extensions - so these 3 will compete with each other for marketshare - it's still faster to type alt-shift+.com than .zhongguo1 or .gongsi1.

.Com has a bigger marketshare than .cn in China, there are many reasons which i would not go into detail.

Should anyone be not convinced, go take a look at this rank page - http://www.alexa.com/site/ds/top_sit...lang=zh_gb2312

For information, i invest in both chinese tlds and cities.com.

On afterthought, the real losers are english.cns.

Last edited by touchring; 8th March 2006 at 07:02 PM..
Old 8th March 2006, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
On afterthought, the real losers are english.cns.
I wouldnt be too quick with that either. My cns get type-ins and are profitable. Many of us have resold names for good profit.
Old 8th March 2006, 07:27 PM
Veteran

It won't happen overnight, but it will happen slowly, as people start switching to IDNs, english.cns will start to lose relevance. Meanwhile, cns would retain value for at least the next 5-6 years (i do not see idns becoming dorminant until then).

If you know chinese, you will know that something like 减肥.公司 is 10 times easier to remember, and will get more type-ins than weightloss.cn.

Last edited by touchring; 8th March 2006 at 07:44 PM..
Old 8th March 2006, 07:31 PM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a good thing the Chinese commented on People's Daily right away. Prevents the other countries from having any ideas.

In a perfect world, ICANN should not be under DOC or any other government or semi-government agency.

Sort of like the UN :-)
Old 8th March 2006, 07:48 PM

Quote:
If you know chinese, you will know that something like 减肥.公司 is 10 times easier to remember, and will get more type-ins than weightloss.cn.
Maybe, but as China will likely go in the direction of international economic power (or certainly want to), they (businesses) may want to market to english speaking people and they can use english .coms and .cns (china's cctld) as the vehicle etc.
Old 8th March 2006, 08:37 PM
Veteran

For international market, they would probably use a .com and have a different website in English.

At the moment, at least for the next few years, companies might just forward idn.com or idn.idn to their existing .com or .cn websites. They would probably advertise both urls on their ads.

Note that i'm just guessing, how it will work out, we shall find out. The process might take longer than many of us here can tolerate.
Old 8th March 2006, 08:42 PM
Veteran

Quote:
For international market, they would probably use a .com and have a different website in English.

At the moment, at least for the next few years, companies might just forward idn.com or idn.idn to their existing .com or .cn websites. They would probably advertise both urls on their ads.

Note that i'm just guessing, how it will work out, we shall find out. The process might take longer than many of us here can tolerate.
Yes, I am sure that is how it will work until the SEO factor kicks in and they wake up to find someone is eating their lunch!