IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd October 2007, 02:46 PM

Pete is an unknown quantity at this point
Spaces in the URL ?

Anyone know if implementing empty spaces in multiple words URLs was ever considered by IANA/Icann? Something like mynicedomain.com could be "my nice domain.com"; basically, wherever surfers put a space wouldn't matter, it would still resolve to the same domain, provided the space is located before the extension.
Would make browsing a bit more natural and more keyword specific.
Old 2nd October 2007, 03:05 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: Spaces in the URL ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
Anyone know if implementing empty spaces in multiple words URLs was ever considered by IANA/Icann? Something like mynicedomain.com could be "my nice domain.com"; basically, wherever surfers put a space wouldn't matter, it would still resolve to the same domain, provided the space is located before the extension.
Would make browsing a bit more natural and more keyword specific.
Nice idea, but this is a browser issue. If you want to get it implemented, write to Microsoft, who are currently snaffling all this traffic themselves.

Good Luck!
Old 2nd October 2007, 03:27 PM

Wouldn't this be done at the registrar level with nameprep?
Old 2nd October 2007, 03:33 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:
Wouldn't this be done at the registrar level with nameprep?
Nope, normalization is done at the browser level with stringprep.

Old 2nd October 2007, 03:39 PM

That normalization has to follow the rules and standards of icann for the particular extension I believe.
In the absence of them, the browser vendor does what it wants I guess, but I was wondering if an official protocol or RFC was ever proposed on the topic of whitespace.
Old 2nd October 2007, 03:43 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That normalization has to follow the rules and standards of icann for the particular extension I believe.
In the absence of them, the browser vendor does what it wants I guess, but I was wondering if an official protocol or RFC was ever proposed on the topic of whitespace.
Stringprep is defined in an RFC, and it is not extension specific.

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3454.txt

Old 2nd October 2007, 03:51 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Don't see why. According to Microsoft they wrote IE6 to resolve Unicode, presumably without checking with ICANN as to whether Unicode would ever be inserted into the root. So according to Microsoft, IE6 does resolve IDN, just does not encode to the punycode which is compatible with what everyone else is working on!
Old 2nd October 2007, 04:01 PM

RFCs are guidelines that vendors follow, or don't.
If they don't, then they might have compatibility issues, but that has never stopped MS before.

So basically, url whitespace was never seriously proposed for implementation at icann?
Old 2nd October 2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
RFCs are guidelines that vendors follow, or don't.
If they don't, then they might have compatibility issues, but that has never stopped MS before.

So basically, url whitespace was never seriously proposed for implementation at icann?
ICANN has zero to do with URL whitespace. The removal of spaces before sending a DNS query would be entirely vendor specific - browsers could just go ahead and do it whenever they feel like it, right now if they want. And ICANN doesn't implement anything except bureaucracy.

Old 2nd October 2007, 04:19 PM

xxbossmanxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to xxbossmanxx Send a message via MSN to xxbossmanxx Send a message via Skype™ to xxbossmanxx

"ICANN doesn't implement anything except bureaucracy."

ha ha nice. You almost made me spit my coffee on the lcd laughing.