IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th October 2007, 08:19 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
IE7 Auto Updates Japan

It would seem that it did start in Japan at 2 o'clock in the morning but was turned off again at 3 o'clock in the afternoon, after complaints. So we got 13 hrs worth of Auto Updates.

Looks like it is not going back on until later possibly 2008.

I guess, however, IE7 is going to be a big topic of discussion now!

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 6th October 2007 at 08:46 AM..
Old 7th October 2007, 12:27 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: IE7 Auto Updates Japan

Their erratic behaviour has me wondering what exactly is Microsoft's problem?

Looking around the web there is not much to go on but the indications are that the panic behaviour with IE7 might have as much to do with very slow adoption of Vista.

I think their fear must be is that if they have spent 5 years developing Vista and it is regarded as a bust, then there is a huge vacuum that might potentially be filled with an alternative. If Linux adoption for example increased to fill the gap whilst Microsoft waste another decade developing an even more cumbersome piece of bloatware, then not only would they lose the Operating System Market, but their Office Suite business could be swept away in the wake.

With their abject failure to make an impression in the advertising market against Google or to strike a note in the music industry with Zune, their only option left might might be give it all away before it just turns to dust and blows away in the wind.

Getting much higher adoption rates for IE7 might now just be regarded as the only sensible strategy for getting the Vista bandwagon which appears to be bogged to the axles back on the trail.

Remember, whatever they tell you, their real agenda is likely to be completely different. This seems to be an inherent trait of the MS culture.
Old 7th October 2007, 05:14 PM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that paranoia and anger at MS have clouded your objectivity there RD. MS is just a big lumbering company, it isn't any more racist or duplicitous or evil than any other large company. Let's face it, when it comes to getting IE7 out the door in Japan, MS is just a big steaming pile of dog poop.

I personally don't use vista at home, but of course use it at work, it's ok. In terms of sales though, Vista is doing very well actually, you can judge it from the MS stock price.

It's unfortunate that japanese people don't just go and switch to an available IDN browser like FF or Opera but given the circumstances there isn't anything we can do but wait for these guys to pull the trigger.
Old 7th October 2007, 06:03 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
I think that paranoia and anger at MS have clouded your objectivity there RD. MS is just a big lumbering company, it isn't any more racist or duplicitous or evil than any other large company. Let's face it, when it comes to getting IE7 out the door in Japan, MS is just a big steaming pile of dog poop.

I personally don't use vista at home, but of course use it at work, it's ok. In terms of sales though, Vista is doing very well actually, you can judge it from the MS stock price.

It's unfortunate that japanese people don't just go and switch to an available IDN browser like FF or Opera but given the circumstances there isn't anything we can do but wait for these guys to pull the trigger.
Not convinced about that. I would advise people to take a look at the legal cases with the EU before giving them a clean bill of health. Basically, Microsoft have tried to carry on as though they are not subject to European Law at all, even though they almost certainly earn more there than from the US market. They must do because the population is much higher and they charge nearly double.

In terms of penetration it would seem Vista is now at 7%. Hardly a stellar performance, when it the only serious upgrade option available. There seem to be huge reluctance to move from XP to Vista which is substantiated by Microsoft agreeing to supply XP for an additional 5 months.

In my work environment they are now slowly updating to IE7, but Vista is not even on the Radar Screen. Most would move to another operating system tomorrow if they felt they had that level of freedom. The truth is that we are all locked in to some extent by compatibility issues that MS have deliberately created. What is required is for government departments to bite the bullet and push for a move to open source. Trust me it is being talk about, even if it is not yet firmly on the agenda. It will only take one politician to get burnt for having his hand in the till and it will be game over.

In terms of adoption of other systems, they will listen to the likes of ICANN. If we get much more publicity from ICANN stating that Opera is the ideal solution people will start to use it. It might be hard to imagine alternative browsers in some markets but I can assure you the figures for Eastern Europe are entirely genuine. They all have FF installed in CZ. You might think it cannot happen in Japan, but it could very easily indeed.

This weekends fiasco is just further evidence that MS could not organise a piss-up in a brewery, but it really matters not. As Frank said, punycode cometh, if MS do not provide the conduit then someone else will. Frankly, let MS do their worst, then we can all piss ourselves laughing.
Old 7th October 2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Not convinced about that. I would advise people to take a look at the legal cases with the EU before giving them a clean bill of health. Basically, Microsoft have tried to carry on as though they are not subject to European Law at all, even though they almost certainly earn more there than from the US market. They must do because the population is much higher and they charge nearly double.

In terms of penetration it would seem Vista is now at 7%. Hardly a stellar performance, when it the only serious upgrade option available.
I think the case says much more about the anti-business proclivities of the EU than of the morality of Microsoft. MS has bent over backwards to comply with the EU. I don't see Google or Apple on the docket yet and they can easily be accused of the same kind of "tactics" that MS is getting bashed for within their respective fields. Yet none of these companies are evil, they are just fiercely competitive - something the EU doesn't seem to have much appreciation for.

As for Vista performance, uptake is going as predicted, it is not underperforming relative to expectations. Upgrading occurs over a long period of time, something that the markets seem to understand anyway. Frankly I don't see a compelling value prop in Vista myself, because as an end user I still have all the power I need with XP. But when I buy my next PC within 2 years, I bet it will come with Vista pre-loaded. But to your other point RD, users can always switch to Mac. With emulation programs these days, no Mac user needs to suffer from incompatibility with Windows programs.
Old 7th October 2007, 09:46 PM
Veteran

I think the problem for MS is that we all understand only too well.
Old 8th October 2007, 01:04 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

It's called kharma.

They used to buy up competitors, fire all the staff and kill off their product lines.

Payack sure is sweet.

Last edited by Drewbert; 8th October 2007 at 01:13 AM..
Old 8th October 2007, 05:52 AM

It's just business. ya'll are just haters. :p
Old 8th October 2007, 11:07 AM
Veteran

Could be this that has prompted action.

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world...ic/7033415.stm

Maybe MS is trying to do the right thing and mitigate the damage done by a hole ridden IE6.
Old 8th October 2007, 11:13 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Could be this that has prompted action.
Marketing at its best!

And the solution to your virus problem....now free from your friends at Microsoft.
Ya gotta love a government sponsored marketing plan.
Old 8th October 2007, 11:43 AM
Veteran

Did China go Auto Updates?

Was it cancelled as per Japan?