IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th October 2007, 09:23 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Wankers!

http://slashdot.org/articles/07/10/11/1837232.shtml
Old 11th October 2007, 10:31 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
Re: Wankers!

MANY NARROWMINDED DITWADS RESPONDING... here's A few. Kind of sad really.
What next will they think of? The idea of a "Russian *Internet*" or a "Chinese *Internet*" just makes me laugh!! As for accusations of "cultural imperialism" - can I just point out that English speaking people developed the Internet at their own time and expense (and a lot of tax-payers money) - so they are entitled to have it in English if they want .. this is daft - just plain daft ... when we look back at this moment and realise that we opened the can of worms that led to a 21st C. "Tower of Babel" - we will weep ... END QUOTE

THIS GUY COMPARES SURFING THE INTERNET TO LANGUAGE SKILLS TO PILOT AND LAND COMMERCIAL AIRLINERS :p
I don't think the computing world is ready for this yet, and it may never be a good idea. Internationalization in software and operating systems is in a horrible state of excess complexity right now. When everything top to bottom runs unicode UTF8 as its default mode, then MAYBE.

But even then, there is a single language for Aviation communications (happens to be English) but that is done so that there is some hope that everyone will know what everyone is talking about, because everyone can learn the aviation subset of a single
natural language. Also, most programming languages retain a small set of keywords in a single natural language, so that most people will have a chance of learning that small set. Simplicity-and-universality-first arguments maybe should win the day for domain names too.

"Nationalized" domain names are one more step in the very unfortunate trend toward balkanization of the Internet. The Internet is to some extent and should continue to be one place where all people around the world start working and communicating and trading and problem solving together. A Lingua Franca is clearly needed if this is to remain true. END QUOTE
Old 12th October 2007, 01:52 AM
Banned

goidn is an unknown quantity at this point

At the end of XIX c. the Russians decided to have a diff rail tracks than everywhere in the world.

It was just 2 inches narrower.

Trains crossing the border had to stop for 4 hours to have the wheels changed.

I think they're still doing it.

Oh yes. Russians also claim that Russia is the elephants' birthplace.
And they invented radio.
Old 12th October 2007, 04:43 AM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know which is sadder...these simian-like twists of logic or the excuses used in defense of the Iraq invasion. Both make me sad, the world slides more in the direction of "idiocracy" every day.
Old 12th October 2007, 05:12 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Something deeply disturbing about an education system that turns normal well balanced children into putrefied festering slime balls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
MANY NARROWMINDED DITWADS RESPONDING... here's A few. Kind of sad really.
What next will they think of? The idea of a "Russian *Internet*" or a "Chinese *Internet*" just makes me laugh!! As for accusations of "cultural imperialism" - can I just point out that English speaking people developed the Internet at their own time and expense (and a lot of tax-payers money) - so they are entitled to have it in English if they want .. this is daft - just plain daft ... when we look back at this moment and realise that we opened the can of worms that led to a 21st C. "Tower of Babel" - we will weep ... END QUOTE

THIS GUY COMPARES SURFING THE INTERNET TO LANGUAGE SKILLS TO PILOT AND LAND COMMERCIAL AIRLINERS :p
I don't think the computing world is ready for this yet, and it may never be a good idea. Internationalization in software and operating systems is in a horrible state of excess complexity right now. When everything top to bottom runs unicode UTF8 as its default mode, then MAYBE.

But even then, there is a single language for Aviation communications (happens to be English) but that is done so that there is some hope that everyone will know what everyone is talking about, because everyone can learn the aviation subset of a single
natural language. Also, most programming languages retain a small set of keywords in a single natural language, so that most people will have a chance of learning that small set. Simplicity-and-universality-first arguments maybe should win the day for domain names too.

"Nationalized" domain names are one more step in the very unfortunate trend toward balkanization of the Internet. The Internet is to some extent and should continue to be one place where all people around the world start working and communicating and trading and problem solving together. A Lingua Franca is clearly needed if this is to remain true. END QUOTE
Old 12th October 2007, 05:41 AM

burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point

This is good news, guys. Keep them out of it until it is too late. They aren't buyers and they won't be competitors. I love seeing those kinds of posts!
Old 12th October 2007, 06:53 AM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:
There was an article here on Slashdot last week on multilungualism, and all the anglo slashdotters were talking about some wonderful "universal" language (which of course, meant english because none of them ever bothered to even try to learn anything else), and then they get seriously confused when they go to another country and discover that, shock, gasp, the local not only speak another language, but they also use another script entirely, and this, especially in countries with big populations where there are enough resources to have there own digital script systems, such as Chinese, Japanese, Hindi, Arabic or Cyrillic means that the previously imperious "universal language" advocate is suddenly up shit street without a paddle.

What this means is that just because all you know is English, doesn't mean that all the others are going to suddenly run to learn your language and kiss your ass. Those days are over.
Old 12th October 2007, 07:23 AM

rkae is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to rkae Send a message via Skype™ to rkae

Haha. I always thought that the slashdot crowd is more intelligent than that. Guess I was wrong. Still I found some amusing comments:

Quote:
This is a fair comment - how do we deal with languages we don't know and can't even type?
Quote:
Let's see, I'd say somebody should really come up with a way to get to a site on the Internet without having to type some moon language that has letters that aren't even on my keyboard. Maybe there could be some other input device we could use, maybe this little hand-held rodent-looking device just to the side of my keyboard. I've always wanted a use for it.

Maybe if I did a search for something, and the answer is in one of those "other" languages written by those "other" people, maybe I could somehow click some kind of--I don't know--maybe a representation of that site, using my rat or squirrel or whatever these new-fangled devices are called. Then of course I'd like to be able to save this transportation capability for future use; if only there were a way to save some kind of cyber-bookmark in my browser, to keep my place without having to type in all those funny characters ever again. I think I have some ideas, but I need to contact my patent attorney first.

Oh, no. Wait. I just thought of something bad. You know, when I actually get to this site, it's probably going to be really hard to understand what's written on the page. Funny squiggles and such. I suppose there's really just no reason for me to go to such a page, if I can't read it anyway, so why even bother? Plus "they" probably don't know anything good anyway, but there's always a chance that "they" might be more intelligent than we thought. If only there were some site that provided a service that could help me translate this page, then maybe, just maybe, I'd be Ok with allowing these foreign-speaking visitors to spread their native language like some kind of disease all over "my" Internet. If only...
Old 12th October 2007, 07:58 AM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:
Oh, no. Wait. I just thought of something bad. You know, when I actually get to this site, it's probably going to be really hard to understand what's written on the page. Funny squiggles and such. I suppose there's really just no reason for me to go to such a page, if I can't read it anyway, so why even bother? Plus "they" probably don't know anything good anyway, but there's always a chance that "they" might be more intelligent than we thought. If only there were some site that provided a service that could help me translate this page, then maybe, just maybe, I'd be Ok with allowing these foreign-speaking visitors to spread their native language like some kind of disease all over "my" Internet. If only...

This is satire at it's best :-)

Honestly, though, the people who are bitching about not being able to type Japanese characters to visit a Japanese site are the same ones who would never type the ascii characters to visit the same Japanese site anyway. What the hell is there for them to see when they get there, a language they don't understand?

Old 12th October 2007, 08:05 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm

Honestly, though, the people who are bitching about not being able to type Japanese characters to visit a Japanese site are the same ones who would never type the ascii characters to visit the same Japanese site anyway. What the hell is there for them to see when they get there, a language they don't understand?

More excellent nominations for the TRAFFICS "We get it Award"
Old 12th October 2007, 03:08 PM

burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point

That was great!
Old 12th October 2007, 03:26 PM

idnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm

Quote:

We could launch an education site... called funnysquiggles.com!
Old 12th October 2007, 05:44 PM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnowner
We could launch an education site... called funnysquiggles.com!
I can't believe it's available. 100% brandable.

Has Namepros closed its doors?
Old 12th October 2007, 05:46 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanni
I can't believe it's available. 100% brandable.

Has Namepros closed its doors?
And whilst we are on the subject of Oxymorons!