IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th March 2006, 06:03 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Expanded Service at DNF

Adam has indicated that he is willing to expand the width of service available at DNForum. I understand that we will get our own Auction and Appraisal area, and perhaps a unified subsection just for IDN. Watch that space!

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 9th March 2006 at 06:13 PM..
Old 9th March 2006, 06:08 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough
Re: Expanded Service at DNF

Hooray! Adam is doing a great job introducing idns to the ruffians. I see he even purchased one himself.
Old 9th March 2006, 06:13 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcle
Hooray! Adam is doing a great job introducing idns to the ruffians. I see he even purchased one himself.
Looked like a pretty fair investment to me as well!
Old 9th March 2006, 06:15 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Looked like a pretty fair investment to me as well!
Quite! That really was quite a bargin. Some of us need to remember the public release of IE7 is only a short while away.
Old 9th March 2006, 06:23 PM

idnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcle

Which one did he buy? Or is that confidential?
Old 9th March 2006, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnowner
Which one did he buy? Or is that confidential?
办公楼.com (Office in Simplicated Chinese) - $200 - sold
xn--55qx2a251c.com
Google Search Results : 2,270,000
Old 9th March 2006, 08:13 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

I'm getting 7 960 000 google search results on that.
Old 9th March 2006, 10:52 PM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

The general tone has changed a bit as far as management it's a huge start.
Old 10th March 2006, 04:08 AM

GranttheKiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Guys - Aren't you better off running auctions here or at least having token auctions there and using the auctions there to push traffic/future members this way!

Olney has put a lot of work into this site and I'm sure he doesn't want to lose all his valued members to another forum just because they start taking a mediocre "you're ok too" interest in you.

Loyalty is key and despite Olney being a gentleman about the concept, I'm sure he can't be too over the moon with this idea.

Sure...flog a couple of names off at DNforum, but use the exposure to get the punters over here to the "specialty site".

If you're going to sell over there at least put something like "see more of my great domains available for sale at IDNFORUMS.COM in your signature.

After all you guys practically own this site. Keep the quality up, increase traffic here and don't waste your time with the threeword.commers and the increased competition you're going to face from the born again "naysayers" who are going to start regging second or third rate IDN.coms and use the following you create to hold them out as being "premium" domain names and flog them off side by side with you.

99% of the traffic over there doesn't give a ^$(#^ about you guys.
Old 10th March 2006, 04:24 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranttheKiwi
Guys - Aren't you better off running auctions here or at least having token auctions there and using the auctions there to push traffic/future members this way! Olney has put a lot of work into this site and I'm sure he doesn't want to lose all his valued members to another forum just because they start taking a mediocre "you're ok too" interest in you.
"A high tide rises all ships." I think most would be in agreement that there is room and a place for both forums, plus all the others starting up, even in foreign languages like idnclub. As Dave has noted, IDNF is kindred to the spiritual home of IDNers and that will not change. We can make a bigger impact sooner though by being active in all the forums.

DNF sports over 25,000 registered domainers, and even if a third are active that is a lot of people to help spread the word to and build momentum for bringing even more people into IDNing. That in turn will also bring more members over to this forum as well. There are no issues that I know of to have certain types of auctions running in 2, or even 3 forums at same time.

Here's to success for all!
Old 10th March 2006, 07:31 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranttheKiwi
Guys - Aren't you better off running auctions here or at least having token auctions there and using the auctions there to push traffic/future members this way!

Olney has put a lot of work into this site and I'm sure he doesn't want to lose all his valued members to another forum just because they start taking a mediocre "you're ok too" interest in you.

Loyalty is key and despite Olney being a gentleman about the concept, I'm sure he can't be too over the moon with this idea.

For this site to flourish, IDN must be a commercial success.

There are very few players who visit this forum that have invested large amounts buying domains of any kind in the secondary market.

It will be some time before there is any kind of end user market in IDN.

It is essential therefore to broaden appeal of IDN to ASCII domain speculators. You won't acheive that by advertising domains only here.

Some of us are doing a great deal and sacrificing good names to get momentum into the market, but we have to have the discretion of operating where it is commerically viable.

By supporting the iniatives a DNF, we are without doubt bring IDN to a wider audience. That can only be good for all of us, especially Olney.
Old 10th March 2006, 12:07 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Well said Rubber Duck.
Old 10th March 2006, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Well if you auction naes in THAT forum instead of THIS one, you won't get MY money becuase I left dnforum YEARS ago.
Old 10th March 2006, 06:45 PM
Veteran

You are right. I'm looking at DNForum and seeing a bunch of think heads, especially when it comes to any kind of international issues such as IDNs. Selling to the Japanese is not only likely to be profitable but definitely more of a pleasurable experience dealing with an educated buyer.
Old 10th March 2006, 08:24 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

There is no reason that some auctions can't be placed in multiple forums. If you want to sell your IDNs for the most $$, you will need to advertise it to the broadest audience. There are no doubt a lot of domainers at DNF who are relooking at IDNs...and realizing they were not on the train when it left the station!
Old 11th March 2006, 02:12 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Grant thanks for sticking up for here.
The fact is this forum was started because we were a bit tired of the negative responses on the other sites about IDNs. IDNForums has really already been accepted as the authority site on IDN Domains.

There is a huge difference in what the sites offer. Here we are believed to have a collection of members with the best IDN portfolios in the world. Other than perhaps Job Collect, GNO (or GMO) & DigiRock if you search for most of the top IDN Domains you could want in Japanese you will most likely run into a registration by our members. What this means is that the knowledge on here surpasses any on any other site.

On here you can learn the knowledge to increase the value of your portfolio. I've tried to offer examples, strategies, plus a look at my entire portfolio to members. I think that once the market truly opens most of the members here will increase their personal value a bit.

DNF on the otherhand has the biggest collection of domainers, brokers, & domain investors. Most of them only really trust DCG's judgement on things. If he accepts IDNs then others will at least spur some interest. There's only so much info that can be offered that wasn't already written here. They can stay 6 months behind on the progress or just eventually find here.

Since many of us are already members on DNF, NamePros we know that at least DNF has many members that deal with higher budgets. There is nothing that will be taken away from here. There still isn't many that are offering new unique things for IDNers. Being a developer I still realize a lot that is still needed for the site, IDN portfolio holders, & for the Japanese community. I'm committed to all. This site is just the first I still got plenty of work to do.