IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > النطاقات العربي

النطاقات العربي Discussion on Arabic Domains

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th October 2007, 09:32 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: Arabic dream has become a reality !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
You've just coined a new word, congrats! Arbitrary leading to obituary :-)

Is it taken?

The way it works is ICANN makes the rules and Verisign follows them.

Whey the fuck Mozilla have a problem with that is beyond me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose
Perhaps ICANN can put some pressure on Verisign to publish a policy to registrars regarding which types of mixed script registrations are acceptable and which are not.

Isn't that the perfect task for the IDN association?

OPERA RULEZ!

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 15th October 2007 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 15th October 2007, 10:10 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Is it taken?

The way it works is ICANN makes the rules and Verisign follows them.

Whey the fuck Mozilla have a problem with that is beyond me!

Why ICANN has a problem making Verisign disallow phishing domain registrations is beyond me.

Agreed, mozilla is being a bit of a vigilante in this situation.

Old 15th October 2007, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexd
Just tried the Greek page there ... http://παράδειγμα.δοκιμή on Opera, and the address in the toolbar actually shows as ....

http://παράδειγμα.δοκιμή/Αρχική_σελίδα ( Αρχικη Σελιδα meaning Home Page ).

If Opera can get this working, whats the problem with Firefox and IE giving us the same thing ??

It does look like a step in the right direction.

Alex
Safari also shows punycode instead of unicode for Greek, Cyrillic and Hebrew.

Time to start stirring the pot somewhere. I sent a bug to Apple via the BUG button in Safari 3 for the Greek URL above. If a few other people do the same, it might float to the top.

Last edited by Drewbert; 15th October 2007 at 10:23 PM..
Old 16th October 2007, 12:01 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by g
idn.com(idn) will put an end to this problem as you will write the name easily in one direction.
Or maybe they can handle the R-T-L probelm by just reassigning the ending extension "moc." :p
Old 16th October 2007, 12:49 AM

burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point

I took a new PC, fresh from the packing box, plain vanilla XP SP2 and IE7. Changed that language settings. The only URLs that do not show up are Korean, Japanese, and Chinese because the Language Packs were not installed. With LPs installed, all works perfectly.
Old 16th October 2007, 11:08 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Its about time MS stopped all this language pack nonsense. Just install all Unicode fonts as default and stop the world's population from seeing question marks and square boxes when they should be seeing real words and symbols. Its not like modern PCs can't handle large number of fonts. This isn't 1995 anymore MS!
Old 16th October 2007, 11:25 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru
Its about time MS stopped all this language pack nonsense. Just install all Unicode fonts as default and stop the world's population from seeing question marks and square boxes when they should be seeing real words and symbols. Its not like modern PCs can't handle large number of fonts. This isn't 1995 anymore MS!
It is in Seattle. They need all the room they can get to accommodate their bloatware!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
Or maybe they can handle the R-T-L probelm by just reassigning the ending extension "moc." :p
Don't put ideas in their heads!

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 16th October 2007 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 16th October 2007, 11:46 AM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc

This is a browser specific feature, and could certainly be implemented very easily. Probably a low priority for any browser product manager, though.

Old 16th October 2007, 01:02 PM

g is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This is a browser specific feature, and could certainly be implemented very easily. Probably a low priority for any browser product manager, though.

it is actually not a right to left problem or even browser problem

.com appears on the right or on the left according to your setting

it appears on the right at arabic based forums but on the left here

the annoying thing is in the keyboard when you have to shift languages before typing the .com

any how I used to be annoyed of typing www then . then the term then . then com .. now everybody is used to it

it only needs education and the idn.com is working perfectly anyway
Old 16th October 2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g
it is actually not a right to left problem or even browser problem

.com appears on the right or on the left according to your setting

it appears on the right at arabic based forums but on the left here

the annoying thing is in the keyboard when you have to shift languages before typing the .com

any how I used to be annoyed of typing www then . then the term then . then com .. now everybody is used to it

it only needs education and the idn.com is working perfectly anyway

We are talking about the visually displeasing problem of:

com.niamod

instead of how it should be:

moc.niamod

Old 16th October 2007, 01:18 PM

g is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
We are talking about the visually displeasing problem of:

com.niamod

instead of how it should be:

moc.niamod

I don't get it

here it appears idn.com

in arabic forums it appears com.idn

if .com appeared moc it will look distorted and it will not be recognised as .com
Old 16th October 2007, 05:28 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by g
I don't get it

here it appears idn.com

in arabic forums it appears com.idn

if .com appeared moc it will look distorted and it will not be recognised as .com

As someone who doesn't read LTR, i assume that people that read LTR will automatically read RTL for ABC?
Old 16th October 2007, 05:41 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
As someone who doesn't read LTR, i assume that people that read LTR will automatically read RTL for ABC?
Those that read RTL (Arabic, Hebrew) do not read English as RTL. "moc." is gibberish.

That said, you can type Arabic domain names just as easily as Russian or Chinese regardless of the RTL issue. You would start with the Arabic portion, switch languages to English (Alt-Tab or equivalent), and type .com. Works fine. May not look pretty, but it's functional.
Old 16th October 2007, 05:56 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive
Those that read RTL (Arabic, Hebrew) do not read English as RTL. "moc." is gibberish.

That said, you can type Arabic domain names just as easily as Russian or Chinese regardless of the RTL issue. You would start with the Arabic portion, switch languages to English (Alt-Tab or equivalent), and type .com. Works fine. May not look pretty, but it's functional.

oh, my typo, but if it works fine, ok. so no big issue except key swtich.
Old 16th October 2007, 06:21 PM

dabsi is a tad dodgydabsi is a tad dodgydabsi is a tad dodgy

Until Arabs have agreed on an extension, ICANN will not be existing anymore.

Look at the Arab League.....Again we'll be facing 'Island solutions' having UAE with their own solutions, EGYPT with a Pharaon extension an the Maghreb keeping French.

DABSI
Old 16th October 2007, 07:36 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabsi

Look at the Arab League.....Again we'll be facing 'Island solutions' having UAE with their own solutions, EGYPT with a Pharaon extension an the Maghreb keeping French.

DABSI
Thanks Dabsi,

As ever you have pin-pointed the issue, even followed some of the logic, but plucked totally the wrong conclusion from fresh air.

It is obvious that dot com will have a field day, here as in Russia. Verisign will destroy disorganised opposition.
Old 16th October 2007, 08:35 PM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabsi

DABSI

And that's why the gTLDs will work regardless of the crap ccTLDs! Woo Hoo!
Old 17th October 2007, 12:24 AM

TinaDam is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, I noticed that you have some good discussions concerning the browser functionality and user expectations when it comes to IDN TLDs....as tried out at the various IDNwiki's that you can access from the IDNwiki gateway at http://idn.icann.org

I am wondering if you would participate in the wiki discussions as well? Reason ebing that we would like to be able to gather all the experience users are having when using the IDN TLDs so that we can make that information available to the application providers as well as to the generel public when reports are being made.

We anticipate several rounds of such reports, but the sooner the better

Also, in case you have any questions about IDN TLDs, please dont hesitate to ask me - here - directly - or on the IDNwiki's.

Kind regards,

Tina Dam
Director, IDN Program
ICANN

Email: tina.dam@icann.org
Cell: +1-310-862-2026
Office: +1-310-301-5838
Old 19th October 2007, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaDam
Hi all, I noticed that you have some good discussions concerning the browser functionality and user expectations when it comes to IDN TLDs....as tried out at the various IDNwiki's that you can access from the IDNwiki gateway at http://idn.icann.org

I am wondering if you would participate in the wiki discussions as well? Reason ebing that we would like to be able to gather all the experience users are having when using the IDN TLDs so that we can make that information available to the application providers as well as to the generel public when reports are being made.

Also, in case you have any questions about IDN TLDs, please dont hesitate to ask me - here - directly - or on the IDNwiki's.

Kind regards,

Tina Dam
Director, IDN Program
ICANN

Hi Tina,

it is a great pleasure to see you here.
I am sorry to say that your announcements weren't clear enough and made a lot of confusion among arabic users.
I tried to participate in discussion in wiki but I couldn't reach any link or how to read these discussion or how to participate.
the arabic translation wasn't friendly enough to explain to arabic user what is going on.
I will open a new thread in this arabic section to discuss it.
Hope to always hear from you.
thank you
your help is much appreciated
Regards,
Gee
Old 19th October 2007, 08:52 AM
Administrator

bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bramiozo Send a message via Skype™ to bramiozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaDam

Kind regards,

Tina Dam
Director, IDN Program
ICANN

Why not officially couple idnforums.com to the ICANN idn.gateway in combination with specific forum sections ?