IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names

IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/)
-   النطاقات العربي (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%86%D8%B7%D8%A7%D9%82%D8%A7%D8%AA-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%B9%D8%B1%D8%A8%D9%8A/)
-   -   Arabic dream has become a reality !! (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/13875-arabic-dream-has-become-a-reality.html)

g 15th October 2007 12:44 PM

Arabic dream has become a reality !!

واخيرا تحقق الحلم العربي

حدث تاريخي ونقطة فاصلة في مرحلة تطوير المواقع والانترنت

A turning point in the history of arabic internet

read more details here

http://www.xn--mgb5a8an.com/article26.htm

jacksonm 15th October 2007 12:50 PM

Re: Arabic dream has become a reality !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by g
واخيرا تحقق الحلم العربي

حدث تاريخي ونقطة فاصلة في مرحلة تطوير المواقع والانترنت

A turning point in the history of arabic internet

read more details here

http://www.xn--mgb5a8an.com/article26.htm

Any chance to get a summary in English?

bwhhisc 15th October 2007 12:51 PM

Gee- can you translate or give us the highlights in English. Thx.

g 15th October 2007 12:55 PM

idn.idn is working

http://icann.org/announcements/announcement-15oct07.htm

I just copied the arabic article from icann

http://xn--mgbcd4a2b0d2b.idn.icann.o...ŠØ³ÙŠØ©

you can try them now

http://مثال.إختبار/

jacksonm 15th October 2007 01:00 PM

Don't forget to add your whitelists for the test domains to firefox if you want to see IDN.IDN in the address bar.

domainguru 15th October 2007 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksonm
Don't forget to add your whitelists for the test domains to firefox if you want to see IDN.IDN in the address bar.

True enough, but for the general public using Firefox that have no idea about whitelisting? They will wonder what the heck IDNs are all about and turn their back for the next few years.

Shame on Firefox for adopting their ridiculous whitelisting policy!!

g 15th October 2007 01:06 PM

I don't care what appears in the address bar

it is the first time for me guys that I write down arabic url and it resolves to a website

I will surely keep this moment for long in the memory to tell the kids :)

jacksonm 15th October 2007 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by domainguru
True enough, but for the general public using Firefox that have no idea about whitelisting? They will wonder what the heck IDNs are all about and turn their back for the next few years.

Shame on Firefox for adopting their ridiculous whitelisting policy!!

Let's call it what it is: A pissing contest with Verisign.

domainguru 15th October 2007 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g
I don't care what appears in the address bar

it is the first time for me guys that I write down arabic url and it resolves to a website

I will surely keep this moment for long in the memory to tell the kids :)

You should care. Hundreds of thousands of people across the globe will access these test URLs and lose confidence in the whole IDN thing. They get promised domains in their own language and all they see is xn--.xn--, how disappointing is that?

Maybe if this testbed shines an embarrassingly bright spotlight on Mozilla's whitelisting policy, some good will come out of it.

g 15th October 2007 01:12 PM

Quote:

You should care. Hundreds of thousands of people across the globe will access these test URLs and lose confidence in the whole IDN thing. They get promised domains in their own language and all they see is xn--.xn--, how disappointing is that?

Maybe if this testbed shines an embarrassingly bright spotlight on Mozilla's whitelisting policy, some good will come out of it.

I care about many things not only how it appears in the address bar but also emails and www thing ....etc

but I was talking about enjoying the present moment

domainguru 15th October 2007 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g
I care about many things not only how it appears in the address bar but also emails and www thing ....etc

Sure, its a major event, and happy about that, but for me, definitely partially spoiled by the pissing contest.

jacksonm 15th October 2007 01:29 PM

Quote:

Sure, its a major event, and happy about that, but for me, definitely partially spoiled by the pissing contest.

I agree.

Perhaps it would be constructive for some of the members of this forum who are native speakers of the test wikis to deliver the following message:

"While this is an extremely important milestone on the road to IDN.IDN implementation, the event is somewhat soured by the fact that Firefox has been forced to implement a whilelisting policy in response to Verisign's refusal to prevent mixed-script IDN registrations. The situation is compounded by the fact that Firefox does not provide an easy way for users to enable whitelists or even know that whitelists are required for that matter. Perhaps ICANN can put some pressure on Verisign to publish a policy to registrars regarding which types of mixed script registrations are acceptable and which are not."

I'm sure that somebody can word it better than I can, but this message should be translated and delivered.

touchring 15th October 2007 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g

Hi g, is there an arabic version of .com?

g 15th October 2007 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by touchring
Hi g, is there an arabic version of .com?

yes arabic .com and .net are solid with no other versions and all website developers ,who are not aware of idns ,are using them

كوم .com
نت .net

if they offer new registrations at .com(idn) , then .com(idn) will be the arabic king and our idn.com will be the queen or less ... but it is a rare possibility as people here mentioned because of confusing similarity.

if they offer free or paid aliasing with .com(idn) then our idn.com prices will explode and you will see jumping in traffic and revenue ....

if they will leave idn.com as it is and offer new idn.idn registrations. it depends on the new idn.idn choosen and how arab will accept the sound of it .... but no doubt idn.com will be on the top for long unless they cancel them .... :)

Fka200 15th October 2007 05:05 PM

Great news. Nice to see the sites are all working!

touchring 15th October 2007 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g
yes arabic .com and .net are solid with no other versions and all website developers ,who are not aware of idns ,are using them

كوم .com
نت .net

if they offer new registrations at .com(idn) , then .com(idn) will be the arabic king and our idn.com will be the queen or less ... but it is a rare possibility as people here mentioned because of confusing similarity.

if they offer free or paid aliasing with .com(idn) then our idn.com prices will explode and you will see jumping in traffic and revenue ....

if they will leave idn.com as it is and offer new idn.idn registrations. it depends on the new idn.idn choosen and how arab will accept the sound of it .... but no doubt idn.com will be on the top for long unless they cancel them .... :)

ok, how about the left to right or right to left problem for idn.com. Is this a problem at all?

Fka200 15th October 2007 05:17 PM

Quote:

ok, how about the left to right or right to left problem for idn.com. Is this a problem at all?

I was just thinking of the R-T-L problem yesterday. It's a real nuisance... I was thinking of it while trying to design a new logo and it really sucks having the TLD to the right when it should be on the left of the domain name.

touchring 15th October 2007 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fka200
I was just thinking of the R-T-L problem yesterday. It's a real nuisance... I was thinking of it while trying to design a new logo and it really sucks having the TLD to the right when it should be on the left of the domain name.

They will dname كوم . to .com, to avoid a phishing nightmare - which can potentially end careers.... This is more than just money, it is about failing on the job entirely.

ASCIIer thinking that .idn will be independent from .com is only wishful thinking.

Fka200 15th October 2007 05:37 PM

Quote:

They will dname كوم . to .com, to avoid a phishing nightmare - which can potentially end careers.... This is more than just money, it is about failing on the job entirely.

ASCIIer thinking that .idn will be independent from .com is only wishful thinking.

I agree. I can't wait till نت (net) extension is IDN'd. كوم sounds like sh!t. I've spent the last 4 months researching this TLD issue, and I've come to interesting conclusions. From asking random people on the street to a bit more ridiculous things (in the Middle East of course).

g 15th October 2007 05:49 PM

Quote:

it is an annoying thing but it is much more with .net than .com which you can instead press cntrol/enter

aliasing will revive the .net which is hardly receives any typins these days because of this right to left thing

Quote:

not only ASCIIers ... but also late comer natives as I see with arab who wish to catch better names if there is any new landrush

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fka200
I agree. I can't wait till نت (net) extension is IDN'd. كوم sounds like sh!t. I've spent the last 4 months researching this TLD issue, and I've come to interesting conclusions. From asking random people on the street to a bit more ridiculous things (in the Middle East of course).

be careful many here own alof of sh*t you are describing....

you also are listing many of them here

http://www.xn--mgbajs8hhhot.com/arabic-domains.html

it is really very disappointing to read a message like this from an educated IDNer !

peace