IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th October 2007, 09:16 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Welcome Tina

That is if we are not having our legs pulled!
Old 16th October 2007, 09:17 PM

hangman21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Welcome Tina

welcome
Old 16th October 2007, 09:23 PM

tee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
That is if we are not having our legs pulled!
I'll second that.
Old 16th October 2007, 09:33 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation

Welcome Tina,

Great to see you on our humble forum
Thank you for taking the time to join.

Regards,
Michael.

P.S can someone ask for photos? JK, i believe it is Ms. Dam
Old 16th October 2007, 09:51 PM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough

Well, I might as well hop on the bandwagon and welcome Tina as well. Just hope it's truly her.

Welcome!
Old 16th October 2007, 11:50 PM

TinaDam is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the welcome! that was nice.

Offcourse it is me - that is, there might be someone else with the same name....so...oh well, anyways, go join the discussions on http://idn.icann.org ok? and let me know if you have any questions.

Tina

Last edited by TinaDam; 16th October 2007 at 11:59 PM..
Old 16th October 2007, 11:55 PM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I believe members will have plenty of questions
Welcome to the site.
Old 17th October 2007, 12:03 AM

IDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to IDNer

Welcome Tina.

I believe that most member here will like to know what's going on about the IDN.IDN and Dingbats domain...
Old 17th October 2007, 12:07 AM

what's going on with IDN.IDN?

...if you can be more specific then that would help.

There are many things going on at different levels - here are a few main topics....is there anyone in particular interest?

- We launched the IDNwiki's for evaluation of the IDN TLDs that were inserted in the root last week.

- We have the policy development groups active on developing policies and processes for allocation of IDNs.

- We have the IDNA protocol under revision and the revision of the IDN Guidelines following that.

Tina

Last edited by TinaDam; 17th October 2007 at 12:09 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 17th October 2007, 12:25 AM

IDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to IDNer

Some topis:

IDN.com to IDN.IDN - Possible Scenario? -
http://www.idnforums.com/forums/1388...ighlight=Dname

What's the Hindi Word for Dot-Com?
http://www.idnforums.com/forums/1374...ighlight=Dname

Chinese idn.com to benefit if there is no dname. -
http://www.idnforums.com/forums/1388...-no-dname.html

Dingbats banned? -
http://www.idnforums.com/forums/1384...light=Dingbats

£.com €.com Support in IE7? -
http://www.idnforums.com/forums/7153...light=Dingbats
Old 17th October 2007, 12:37 AM

Reply to: IDN.com to IDN.IDN - Possible Scenario? -

I actually just replied to an email on the same topic from a user on this forum yesterday - so my reply might be somewhere else on the forum.

If/how you would translate an existing gTLD into an IDN TLD, and if so, would the operator be the current registry operator or a new entity are all policy questions.
These policy decisions are not made by ICANN staff but are being dealt with by the GNSO (with some assistance from the GAC, ccNSO and ALC that all are working on IDN policy questions).

The GNSO is the Generic Names Supporting Organization that is tasked under the ICANN Bylaws to generate policy recommendations for the gTLDs. More information can be found at http://gnso.icann.org (please let me know if you need more details about the work of ICANN’s supporting organizations and advisory committees).

(similarly there is a ccTLD Supporting Organization (ccNSO) and a Government Advisory Committee (GAC) working on the policies on the cTLD front).

IF it is decided that the exisiting operator of .TLD should operate some version of ".IDN-TLD" then there is the question of how that is done. Aliasing, which would mean that <domain.TLD> and <domain.IDN-TLD> goes to the same registrant - or some other way with sunrise rules, or first-come-first serve -- is all open questions as well.

I understand the concern and interest from those who have registered <IDN-domain.TLD>, but unfortunately I am not able to help with much guidance yet. We have to wait and see what the policy decisions are going to be.

---------------
What's the Hindi Word for Dot-Com?
http://www.idnforums.com/forums/1374...ighlight=Dname (What's the Hindi Word for Dot-Com?)

so, while this indeed was great coverage and a great story, I am not sure what other questions are to be answered in the thread on that topic (that I did not answer above)?

If you want normal use of IDNs then help us define what 'normal' is and go to that evaluation forum that is set up to cover user experience and expectations. That is, http://idn.icann.org

----------------

Dingbats banned? -
http://www.idnforums.com/forums/1384...light=Dingbats (Dingbats banned?)

I might need to take a closer look at this one. However, if all you are asking is why symbols can't resolve in your browser - then that is because your browser implemented the IDNA protocol that does not allow for resolution of symbols. The fact that the name is registered may have to do with the testbed that was initiated back in 2001 - however in this testbed it was never (to my knowledge) a promise that the IDNs would work. I beleiev that all gTLd registries are following the IDN guidelines under their contract with ICANN, today, that is, no registration of symbols. If you believe otherwise please let me know and I will passs that on to our complaince team for investigation.

So this was a rather quick reply to some of the topics asked for above - I hope it answered all questions, but please let me know if you have any follow-up questions or concerns.

Tina

Last edited by TinaDam; 17th October 2007 at 12:48 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 17th October 2007, 01:11 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I guess another thing that pops up is
Why do press releases refer to IDNs as "coming out by the end of 2008".
Together I'm sure we as a group have invested hundreds of thousands in what we believe to be IDNs.
Because of this many view current IDNs as a test, &/or something that could possibly be phased out even. These statements seem to come from ICANN itself so many believe they will wait till these "real IDNs" come out next year.

I only see this in English, here in Japan they promote the IDN.jp as this is what you've been waiting for.
Old 17th October 2007, 01:18 AM

zenmarketing is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Reply to: IDN.com to IDN.IDN - Possible Scenario? -

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaDam

I understand the concern and interest from those who have registered <IDN-domain.TLD>, but unfortunately I am not able to help with much guidance yet. We have to wait and see what the policy decisions are going to be.
Tina, welcome to the site. I have one question that's been on my mind for a while:

As registrants, what routes do we have available to affect these policy decisions?
Old 17th October 2007, 01:26 AM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome Tina. To be humble is to be great. You have done an excellent job.

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@
Old 17th October 2007, 02:09 AM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

Welcome Ms. Dam , we are pleased to have you amongst us
Old 17th October 2007, 02:11 AM

ca191s is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi!TinaDam

You are very good!

Doubtless

You brought some fresh airs

ca191s
Old 17th October 2007, 02:18 AM

Steve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enough

Welcome, Tina.

I would also like to reiterate what Olney has stated.

Many of the forum members here, have invested heavily in IDNS...
when many mainline domainers, were bocking at these domains, and those that would have a belief that they would/could be successful.

Without this commitment to IDNS, by the members here, and on other IDN forums, over the last few years, it is doubtful that they (IDNS) would be in the position they are today.

That certainly must count, in any future decisions, by ICANN or their governing bodies.

Kindest Regards....Steve.
Old 17th October 2007, 02:33 AM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clarke
Without this commitment to IDNS, by the members here, and on other IDN forums, over the last few years, it is doubtful that they (IDNS) would be in the position they are today.

IDNs are amazing for people who cannot speak English. I see a bright future with them. What Steve has said is absolutely true. Without us, IDNs would be nowhere near what they are today. If only I could forward you 10-15 PMs/E-mails I've received from others who truly "hate" IDNs... you would know what I'm talking about. We've developed these IDNs and caused a mini-awareness. It would be great if we could know what was going on and be included and thought of with any future decisions.
Old 17th October 2007, 02:40 AM

irc is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome Tina
As an idner,I hope you help promoting the development of IDNs fast.
Thanks.
Old 17th October 2007, 03:40 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
Re: Reply to: IDN.com to IDN.IDN - Possible Scenario? -

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaDam
Hello Tina and welcome to our forum. Very much appreciate you stopping by and answering questions.

1) Wondering if you have any guess of the timeline for policy decisions that will give us the final outcome regarding idn.com, idn.net etc. and idn.idn. Or will that be on a country by country basis.

2) Will Verisign be given the rights to any equivalent of .com in idn version?

3) Verisign put forth the proposal for DNAME. Can you tell us the pros and cons of DNAME implementation from your perspective?

4) Why is that there is little mention of the fact by ICANN that IDNs are "live and working" today within the existing internet system?

Thank you!