IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > النطاقات العربي

النطاقات العربي Discussion on Arabic Domains

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th October 2007, 02:00 AM

g is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished road
Propaganda after arabic idn.idn announcement!

many arab proposed that it will be idn.com(idn) .كوم & idn.net(idn) .نت

alarabyia.net arabic tv channel assuming that she will own العربية.نت
and they are advertising it here
http://www.alarabiya.net/articles/2007/10/12/40268.html

also read the comments ( around 155 comment ) you will find

some don't know what is going on
many assume it will be available to register to all ( some says " millions of arab will fight for premium names like egypt.com and tourism.com and it will be a massacre" )
some attacks another languages like hebrew and persian
some people don't like it and some advertising their own idns like
www.molinon.com يصير com.المعلنون.www
many extreme political and religious views involved......
many wish that arabic idn never happened and many others hope it fails.
some are mocking saying idiot.idn ....etc

it is the most interesting propaganda I have ever seen for arabic idns
Old 19th October 2007, 02:13 AM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough
Re: Propaganda after arabic idn.idn announcement!

LOL, I've said this a million times before: If only some members can see some of the e-mails/PMs/etc. I've received about IDNs. It's hilarious. If I haven't witness the growth of IDNs first hand, I would've probably bought into all the b$. But I have witnessed it, and I'm in 100%.

"الموضوع هذا قديم يا عربيه وتم اعتماد اللغة العربية منذ سبعة شهور بشكل رسمي ، وانتو كاتبين تحت التجربة ؟؟؟؟ وثانيا هي مش 10 لغات ، هي جميع لغات الاسكي كود البرمجية وعددها في حدود الثلاثين لغة وتم اعتمادها جميعا ."

(Updating this as I go along)

OK:

General info about what's going on:

A majority think it's a great idea and that FINALLY the internet will be easier to access. Some haters saying the internet should be left in English. Others are saying why aren't other languages getting their internet as well? And others are fighting saying their language is better than others.

There's a lot, but overall it seems very positive to me, but they all are using IDN TLDs as examples. No where on there is an IDN.ASCII .

Last edited by Fka200; 19th October 2007 at 03:27 AM..
Old 19th October 2007, 02:26 AM

tee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enough

thanks for info and please keep us updated, looks like the next few months will be interesting.

Last edited by bramiozo; 5th October 2008 at 09:59 AM..
Old 19th October 2007, 02:33 AM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee1
thanks for info and please keep us updated, looks like the next few months will be interesting.

Pass the butter
Old 19th October 2007, 03:06 AM

g is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished road

http://www.middle-east-online.com/?id=53477

http://www.radiosawa.com/arabic_news.aspx?id=1400024

http://www.sana.org/ara/15/2007/10/12/143368.htm

http://www.alriyadh.com/2007/10/13/article286417_s.html

tons of links to the news .... they are everywhere because of official icann announcement.

also more disucssion here
http://www.traidnt.net/vb/showthread.php?t=583682

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fka200

There's a lot, but overall it seems very positive to me.
have you read those comment like "finally america allowed us to use our language "

and others who say " they are trying to control and spying on us "

Last edited by g; 19th October 2007 at 03:11 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 19th October 2007, 03:21 AM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough

LOL yeah I was laughing my @$$ about those. People try to make conspiracy theories for EVERYTHING.

This guy is my favorite: "الف مبروك ****** الف مبروك ******** الف مبروك ***** الف"
Old 19th October 2007, 06:47 AM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by g
alarabyia.net arabic tv channel assuming that she will own العربية.نت
Quote:
Originally Posted by g
many assume it will be available to register to all ( some says " millions of arab will fight for premium names like egypt.com and tourism.com and it will be a massacre" )

Perhaps the biggest thing we have going against us with regards to aliasing is when powerful enough native groups discover that their languages were completely strip-mined starting 6 years ago and "nobody told them about it". They are going to be really damned upset.

Because of this, I see this ball could really still roll either direction.

Thoughts? Biased rationalizations?

Old 19th October 2007, 06:49 AM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
Perhaps the biggest thing we have going against us with regards to aliasing is when powerful enough native groups discover that their languages were completely strip-mined starting 6 years ago and "nobody told them about it". They are going to be really damned upset.

Because of this, I see this ball could really still roll either direction.

Thoughts? Biased rationalizations?

They can be upset but the same thing happened with the English language and domain names. They will have to just take it on the chin or break out the wallets.
Old 19th October 2007, 06:56 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegenius1
They can be upset but the same thing happened with the English language and domain names. They will have to just take it on the chin or break out the wallets.
And with the price of Oil the way it is, some of them will have very deep pockets!

I also think Pride will run way ahead of commercial realism in the Arab World.
Old 19th October 2007, 06:59 AM

Last edited by Fka200; 19th October 2007 at 07:06 AM..
Old 19th October 2007, 07:01 AM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

The question here is that will the fact that everything has already been strip mined by foreigner speculators be entertained by ICANN as a valid argument against aliasing and for a new landrush?

Old 19th October 2007, 07:10 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
The question here is that will the fact that everything has already been strip mined by foreigner speculators be entertained by ICANN as a valid argument against aliasing and for a new landrush?

No but the lack of solid information going out to native speakers in their own language is the main cause of the problem.

The fast ICANN gets the message out to where it needs to go, the fewer problems their will be.

Only distributing the information to the English speaking internet communities is a recipe for disaster.
Old 5th October 2008, 12:29 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

One year later.....

Gee, Sammy, Muhammad, Ala...any updates or news on Arabic idn.idn?
Old 5th October 2008, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc View Post
One year later.....

Gee, Sammy, Muhammad, Ala...any updates or news on Arabic idn.idn?
No news. I'm comfortable with .com/.net. If they get aliased, great... if not, back to the drawing board, IMO. Might be a hit or miss.

Let's see what happens at Cairo.
Old 5th October 2008, 12:30 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation

We keep saying IF they will be aliased. I understand there is no official confirmation with a date on it but how can they not be aliased? isn't it clear a domain in Arabic is 100% Arabic like an English name is 100% English?

If you add up the facts i think you will see it's not if, it's just when and looks like when in 2009 to be more accurate.
Old 5th October 2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 261275 View Post
We keep saying IF they will be aliased. I understand there is no official confirmation with a date on it but how can they not be aliased? isn't it clear a domain in Arabic is 100% Arabic like an English name is 100% English?

If you add up the facts i think you will see it's not if, it's just when and looks like when in 2009 to be more accurate.
One thing I've learned in life is to not believe until it's set in stone. I'm not holding my breath, but I do have faith that "aliasing" for .com/.net will be done sometime in the future. What I've got now is good enough to make me just sit and wait and try to see what exactly I've done with my life up until now.

Hell, I still wonder what exactly I want out of these IDNs. Is it a million bucks? Ten million bucks? Or the fame once people end up realizing how valuable these are?

Not even going to go there, but ah... we'll see . It'll be a good convo one day over dinner at an IDN convention--which I'm 100% sure will happen sometime in the near future.
Old 5th October 2008, 01:00 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Sammy- is there any information coming from the various gulf states registries? We know now per ICANN/GAC policy documents "each" country will be given ONE idn.idn at the initial rollout.

Given that these will be unique to each country, the long held notion that .com will be the only "universal" domain extension that will reach across ALL Arabic countries as the top extension for keywords. Given the choice that it can stay .com or be aliased to perhaps .كوم that seems to be a no brainer as the vast majority do not read English (which is true in the majority of worldwide languages).
Old 5th October 2008, 01:37 PM

I really stopped asking around May and just decided to see how things pan out naturally. It was useless stress and wasn't worth basing my investments on alias or not.

As for .كوم, I don't like it at all. IMO in terms of "Arabic" .نت (.net) sounds MUCH better and looks more "normal"... just an opinion of course.

I've been weary regarding Arabics in respect to certain aspects, but all in all, I think Arabic should be the one language where .com/.net will be successful and not exactly be threatened by ccTLDs.

As for the whole ONE idn.idn/country, I was talking to a lot of the people at ICANN and they were trying to figure out the politics with some countries such as India which has a bunch of used languages... so lets see how that turns out as well.

Sloppy reply, but it'll do for 6:42AM
Old 5th October 2008, 02:10 PM

There will be lots of exceptions I am sure. Especially for India with 1.1 billion population and 29 languages that each
represent more than 1,000,000 speakers each.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_India
Old 5th October 2008, 05:02 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

I noticed Arabic is one of the few languages that doesn't have an Arabic/Farsi only Domain Forum.