IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > IDN Domain Appraisals

IDN Domain Appraisals Appraisals by other members on International domain names.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th March 2006, 01:22 PM

burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point
санкт (saint) Wordstat 1,036,299

xn--80auioi.com (санкт.com) saint.com

May be a shorter term for Saint Petersburg? (not the TV show 'The Saint')

Wordstat 1,036,299 today
Yandex pages 40,177,013

US Ovt always shows it with Petersburg (санкт петербург) but lends a little credence to my theory that it is a shorter way to search for Saint Petersburg. Those numbers were too enticing to pass up. Any idea what it is really worth? Ballpark? Can I trust Wordstat showing it as a term by itself ranked above санкт петербург?
Old 10th March 2006, 01:29 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
Re: санкт (saint) Wordstat 1,036,299

I think its a good one on a couple of levels...maybe different than the city! Looking forward to our Russian friends opinions. My feeling is you latched a good one for those looking to learn or get more about Saints. And I don't mean the ones from New Orleans!
Old 10th March 2006, 01:32 PM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think санкт is a short version of санкт петербург. I think the short version is питер or simply петербург.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...ch&sa=N&tab=wi

Last edited by Explorer; 10th March 2006 at 01:36 PM..
Old 10th March 2006, 01:37 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

САНКТ is only used in Russian in the word "SANKT-PETERBURG", the name of the second largest city, and former capital.

It derives from the German name of the City, which was given to it by Russia's first Emperor who had a taste for all things European.

Otherwise, this word is NOT used at all.

Питер is the colloquial form and is used in conversation.

The abreviated form of Санкт-Петербург is СПб, for Москва Moscow, Мос. or Моск., all of which are mine.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 10th March 2006 at 01:44 PM..
Old 10th March 2006, 01:46 PM

Maybe I beg the question, but what gives with the Wordstat 1,036,299 if it is "NOT used at all"? As you can tell, I am still new to this, so please let me know what I am doing wrong. Thanks for letting me down easy, by the way.
Old 10th March 2006, 01:48 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

It is a german word used only in the name of the city in combination with Петербург. It has no value independently, and most people don't even know what it means.

Wordstat will attempt to conjugate and recombine words according it its own algorithm.

Think of the English expresion "ice cream à la mode". You've just registered "à la".

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 10th March 2006 at 01:56 PM..
Old 10th March 2006, 02:13 PM

OK Thanks for the clarification!
Old 10th March 2006, 02:17 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Blast- are you a Russian speaker. Also, does this word have anything just to do with "Saints", like the religious kind? Religion domains are often highly searched.
Old 10th March 2006, 02:21 PM
Veteran

It isn't easy dealing with foreign languages, there are many nuances. That's why we are here.

Don't worry, it happends all the time.

I'm not the best in Japanese, and had a few duds myself.
See http://www.idnforums.com/forums/1278-東京の-net.html

I'm sure everyone here had a few of those. Just keep looking! There is still gold out there in every language!

I've never heard it used in the "Saint" context.

Свято- is the prefix for holy- or saint-, written with a hyphen.
http://www.yandex.ru/yandsearch?text...%EE-&stype=www

The word by itself is святой or holy, saint.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 15th May 2006 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10th March 2006, 02:27 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

I say this term myself several weeks ago but passed it up. The zero Overture results with the term on its own made me conclude it is not a term used by itself. You always need to double check any term you get from Yandex with Overture. The form given in Yandex may be a possessive form or part of a 2 word phrase. Overture helps narrow down the popularity of the term. These two in conjunction will reveal the true gems.
Old 10th March 2006, 04:15 PM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road

Park it and see if it gets any traffic... some of the most unlikely terms receive traffic even though they seem to be nonsense. There's no downside to that now :-)

I have my big yandex, no ovt duds highlighted in red and emboldened in excel. Here are several to provide misery with company!

парусный (sailing - not!)
маркетинговое (marketing - not!)
латинского (latin - not!)
финансировать (to finance - useless probably)

Almost forgot to mention -- great explanation by blastfromthepast. Nice to have him and other native speakers around.

Last edited by gammascalper; 10th March 2006 at 04:19 PM..
Old 10th March 2006, 04:27 PM

It seems like my Cyrillic hits are maybe about 25% compared to my misses. Luckily, I think I have a few good ones. It is just SO DIFFICULT to pass up on those longshots.

OK, so what happens if a term shows up in US Ovt by itself but not in Wordstat by itself? Translators are no help. They seem OK otherwise, but how do you know? Is there a third place to check? Yes, I have examples (unfortunately).