IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 19th October 2007, 08:21 PM
thegenius1's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: IDNaffiliates.com - IDNebook.com
Posts: 3,928
iTrader: (38)
Rep Power: 976
thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1
Question Important Questions for Tina Dam

The other thread is getting pretty lengthy , i think it appropriate we start another with specific questions we would like to get answered.

Lets try to do this in a orderly fashion , i suggest we only post 5 questions at a time to give Ms. Dam time to review them and give us a answer. After she answers those you guys can then post again another 5 and so on.

Please # your questions in the order they are posted , ie : #1 ect.
__________________
ウェブサイト.com
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 19th October 2007, 08:24 PM
jacksonm's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,843
iTrader: (26)
Rep Power: 981
jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm
Re: Important Questions for Tina Dam

OK, here goes, once again:

One of the burning issues on my mind is that why is Verisign permitted to avoid publishing and enforcing an IDN policy which prohibits registration of unnaturally mixed-script domains? One of the key arguments against IDNs, as I am sure that you are aware of, is that they allow spoofing of existing .com domains - the issue is strongest with cyrillic and greek letters which resemble ascii letters. As I understand the situation, if ICANN allows a registry to offer IDNs then that registry must publish a policy such as this for registrars to follow. As a result of Verisign's refusal to stop registration of mixed-script spoofing/phishing domains, Mozilla has taken a vigilante approach to security and implemented a whitelisting mechanism into their Firefox browser, whereby only those registries which disallow registration of phishing domains are whitelisted and display unicode in the address bar - all others (.com, .net) will display punycode in the address bar.

Could you please give your thoughts about this situation?

.
__________________
.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 19th October 2007, 09:16 PM
Rubber Duck's Avatar
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Posts: 15,929
iTrader: (59)
Rep Power: 4507
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: Important Questions for Tina Dam

I don't believe that Verisign is continuing to register mixed script that are considered a risk. They have some legacy registrations that include such mixed scripts but that is an entirely different issue. Many of Verisign's registrations unlike newer entrants pre-date rule changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
OK, here goes, once again:

One of the burning issues on my mind is that why is Verisign permitted to avoid publishing and enforcing an IDN policy which prohibits registration of unnaturally mixed-script domains? One of the key arguments against IDNs, as I am sure that you are aware of, is that they allow spoofing of existing .com domains - the issue is strongest with cyrillic and greek letters which resemble ascii letters. As I understand the situation, if ICANN allows a registry to offer IDNs then that registry must publish a policy such as this for registrars to follow. As a result of Verisign's refusal to stop registration of mixed-script spoofing/phishing domains, Mozilla has taken a vigilante approach to security and implemented a whitelisting mechanism into their Firefox browser, whereby only those registries which disallow registration of phishing domains are whitelisted and display unicode in the address bar - all others (.com, .net) will display punycode in the address bar.

Could you please give your thoughts about this situation?

.
__________________
All offers to sell are void.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 19th October 2007, 09:47 PM
jacksonm's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,843
iTrader: (26)
Rep Power: 981
jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm
Re: Important Questions for Tina Dam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
I don't believe that Verisign is continuing to register mixed script that are considered a risk. They have some legacy registrations that include such mixed scripts but that is an entirely different issue. Many of Verisign's registrations unlike newer entrants pre-date rule changes.
xn--htel-55d.net
xn--prn-sed.net

xn--ht-fmc.com
xn--ht-fmc.net


Those can still be regged right now as far as I can see. Note they contain the cyrillic character "О" in place of the ascii "o".

.
__________________
.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 19th October 2007, 09:53 PM
Rubber Duck's Avatar
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Posts: 15,929
iTrader: (59)
Rep Power: 4507
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: Important Questions for Tina Dam

You cannot tell until you actually attempt to register them. Simply looking up what is available won't tell you. Like the Chinese Block you have to go through with the purchase just to be told you have been knocked back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
xn--htel-55d.net
xn--prn-sed.net

xn--ht-fmc.com
xn--ht-fmc.net


Those can still be regged right now as far as I can see. Note they contain the cyrillic character "О" in place of the ascii "o".

.
__________________
All offers to sell are void.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 19th October 2007, 10:01 PM
burnsinternet's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: http://idn.icann.org
Posts: 2,238
iTrader: (15)
Rep Power: 719
burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Important Questions for Tina Dam

This would be great stuff to add to the Wiki, RD! See it here:

http://idn.icann.org/Talk:IDNwiki

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 22nd October 2007, 05:55 AM
thegenius1's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: IDNaffiliates.com - IDNebook.com
Posts: 3,928
iTrader: (38)
Rep Power: 976
thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1
Re: Important Questions for Tina Dam

Any Others ?
__________________
ウェブサイト.com
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 22nd October 2007, 06:21 PM
bramiozo's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Haarlem
Posts: 2,251
iTrader: (30)
Rep Power: 928
bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bramiozo Send a message via Skype™ to bramiozo
Re: Important Questions for Tina Dam

My question about the effect of IDNA-revisions on the rights of IDN owners was still unanswered. Beside the uncertainty caused by the implementation of .idn there is the effect of revisions of the IDNA-protocol. We're already seeing the effect of a change in protocol for the symbol-domains, obviously the owners of these domains have rights over there domains just as we have rights over our present non-symbol IDN's but what if the IDNA-protocol is changed to the extent that current punycodes are simply not resolved into the specific (and intended) unicode ?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 7th November 2007, 11:01 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 45
iTrader: (0)
Rep Power: 438
TinaDam is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Important Questions for Tina Dam

I will be out of the office for a little while. Meanwhile, can I suggest that you take a look at the status report that was provided for the LA meeting, and also the status report provided there at the public forum? If there are any questions, then send them to me or even go to the wiki (if related to the wiki) and initiate conversations there.

http://icann.org/topics/idn and http://losangeles2007.icann.org/1nov/public-forum
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 7th November 2007, 11:09 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,864
iTrader: (60)
Rep Power: 2200
bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
Re: Important Questions for Tina Dam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaDam
I will be out of the office for a little while. Meanwhile, can I suggest that you take a look at the status report that was provided for the LA meeting, and also the status report provided there at the public forum? If there are any questions, then send them to me or even go to the wiki (if related to the wiki) and initiate conversations there.

http://icann.org/topics/idn and http://losangeles2007.icann.org/1nov/public-forum
Can you give us the quick overview of L.A. since most IDN meetings seemed to be "Closed" meetings.

Any notable progress or agreements in the works? Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 7th November 2007, 11:14 PM
burnsinternet's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: http://idn.icann.org
Posts: 2,238
iTrader: (15)
Rep Power: 719
burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Important Questions for Tina Dam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaDam
I will be out of the office for a little while. Meanwhile, can I suggest that you take a look at the status report that was provided for the LA meeting, and also the status report provided there at the public forum? If there are any questions, then send them to me or even go to the wiki (if related to the wiki) and initiate conversations there.

http://icann.org/topics/idn and http://losangeles2007.icann.org/1nov/public-forum
I asked questions on the Wiki, but no responses. I have been discussing things with other questioners from all over the world via email because no one answers their questions, either.

Most are about where to register IDNs and the status of ccTLD for Russia.

Any chance that .us will have IDNs? We are a country with no official language, as you know.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 1st December 2007, 12:42 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,864
iTrader: (60)
Rep Power: 2200
bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
Re: Important Questions for Tina Dam

Hi Tina, nice to see you back to visit the forum. Hope you can stay and chat.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 05:35 AM.

Site Sponsors
Your ad here
buy t-shirt
מחיר הזהב

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0
Copyright idnforums.com 2005

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54