IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > 日本語ドメイン

日本語ドメイン Discussion for Japan IDN Domain names. Japanese IDNs are available in .com .net & .jp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th March 2006, 02:43 AM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni
I've been dabbling in Japanese names...

I've been dabbling a bit in Japanese names and was wondering what's a good OVT and Google indicator for a good term?

For example, been finding a lot of OVT 2,000-7,000 domains with ranges in Google from 100K to 4MIL. Good, Bad or Ugly?

Any advice form the Japanese pros?

Also, so far from my pickings, no traffic from Japanese domains as opposed to Korean names with smaller ovt/Google numbers that get some traffic (albeit small).

Are Korean users more type-in educated? Or is it that Japanese users are typing in .jp (I only reg coms).

Plse share your experience to see if I'm on the right path.

TIA!
Old 11th March 2006, 03:03 AM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road
Re: I've been dabbling in Japanese names...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanni
I've been dabbling a bit in Japanese names and was wondering what's a good OVT and Google indicator for a good term?

For example, been finding a lot of OVT 2,000-7,000 domains with ranges in Google from 100K to 4MIL. Good, Bad or Ugly?
jp overture of 2,000-7,000 is quite low, unless the terms are extremely commercial. I would try to stick to the high end of that range. There are still many two-word terms with 10k+ ovt.

I think of it (very roughly) as an expected value:

overture score x average bids

I have some Japanese IDN with low SERP but high traffic (10-20 a day). So as far as Google results go, the more the better obviously, but that's not at the top of my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanni
Also, so far from my pickings, no traffic from Japanese domains as opposed to Korean names with smaller ovt/Google numbers that get some traffic (albeit small).

Are Korean users more type-in educated? Or is it that Japanese users are typing in .jp (I only reg coms).
I'm finding the opposite. On average, my Korean names receive much less traffic than Japanese.

That is kind of surprising, because I thought tech-savvy Korean users would be early-adopters of IE7 and FF. Some pretty commercial names, like 'airlines' in Korean have been pretty disappointing.

If Japanese start using IE7, they will do so enmasse, so I wouldn't worry about the lack of or low traffic at this point.
Old 11th March 2006, 03:34 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

It really depends on what the domain is. For example one of my IDN domains. For Financing Company.
I'm looking at it from the Japanese person's perpective.
It's only maybe a low 240 on Overture with $17 bids average on Overture.

I'm getting my porfolio ready for Sedo Japan or when any of the parking services start offering a solution for Japanese domains that make sense.

Some of my domains make more sense to native speakers, a lot I just can't explain to sound appealing in English, because it sounds long, or I can't offer explanation of future brandings.

For example
再就職.com - Career Restart
Careerup.com
ホテルズ.com Hotels

For me each one has value because I know they are all common in Japan but may not be searched for as much as other terms.
The Career Restart term is normal for people that are coming from a career & want to start a new career. There actually might be a better translation but I understand what the term means & how it's used but can't explain to English IDNers the value.

Career Up & Hotels would be a branding domain. Career Up is really a common catch phrase used in the Job market for Japanese.
Hotels is not searched much (Hotel is) but every single Japanese person knows that Hotels is the Plural or Hotel. You can't register Hotel in the dot JP it's reserved, but I own Hotels in all 3 extensions.

Go after your target is what I suggest. I went after Travel first, then luxury items, then alcoholic beverages, then loan related. I suggested making a theme & evaluate what will have the highest value in these themes. Register these first. Current trends & Current news related IDN domains would not be my choice if I look at you might have to sit on your portfolio for a year or two. Think about longevity.
Old 11th March 2006, 08:02 AM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni

Thanks Gamma and Olney for the very helpful posts. Truly appreciated!

Let me continue by saying that of course, I know nothing about the Japanese language or customs to really go after terms commonly used by locals.

My only guide is the dictionary I've found which is actually very helpful and it sometimes gives suggestions/phrases that seem to be commonplace in Japan.
And of course OVT and Google so I can at least be sure that the term I'm about to register is at least being searched for. This way I know I'm half-way right.

Quote:
On average, my Korean names receive much less traffic than Japanese.
Then, I'm definately regging the wrong terms

I'm going to post some of my names tomorrow to see what you guys think.

Thanks again for the pointers.

Cheers!
Old 11th March 2006, 08:22 AM

Clotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enough

At this early stage in the IDN game even your worst reg's will probably be better than 99% of what people are registering in Latin. That is if you are using a dictionary and cross-referencing it to Ovt and Google page results. These tools help ensure that you at least have something meaningful to the native population.