View Single Post
Old 8th April 2006, 02:52 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: New Venture! l’amour.net

Edwin,

Well, the relative value of the domains is a matter of conjecture which really is going to rely to some extent on the technical implementation.

From a branding/marketing perspective, I would prefer to have l'amour.com, but that is not actually very useful if it the inputting is convoluted.

I am utterly convinced that many terms in both French and Arabic will be worth more with the article included. You cannot necessarily transfer all the accepted norms from the US market and impose them on other cultures. Its all down to what people will accept and use.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin
I know it translates as "love" - I went to a French-speaking school for nearly 10 years, so I should know! But what I'm saying is that if you take a step back you'll see that it's one of the (many) cases where a straight translation doesn't tell the whole story.

It would be more accurate from a valuation perspective to say it means "the love" even though that's not the translation. Otherwise, how do you productively distinguish between "amour.com" and "lamour.com"/"l'amour.com" - the former is going to be worth many, many, many times the latter, yet they both "mean" love.

Perhaps saying "the domain means 'love' and has an article in front of it", while longwinded, would be most accurate...