IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > النطاقات العربي

النطاقات العربي Discussion on Arabic Domains

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th October 2007, 07:00 AM

g is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished road
Domain names issue arises in the arabic world

Domain names issue arises in the arabic world and arab discovered the value and importance of domain names.

The syrian electronic government withdraw .sy premium names from their previous owners!! . The government said they have no right to register them !!!

اثارة قضية النطاقات في العالم العربي والعرب يكتشفون قيمة واهمية اسماء المواقع

الحكومة السورية تسحب النطاقات القيمة من ملاكها لامتلاكهم النطاقات بغير وجه حق

اقرأ التفاصيل بالكامل علي البلوجر نطاق

http://www.xn--mgb5a8an.com/article27.htm
Old 24th October 2007, 07:49 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Domain names issue arises in the arabic world

Quote:
Originally Posted by g
Domain names issue arises in the arabic world and arab discovered the value and importance of domain names.

The syrian electronic government withdraw .sy premium names from their previous owners!! . The government said they have no right to register them !!!

اثارة قضية النطاقات في العالم العربي والعرب يكتشفون قيمة واهمية اسماء المواقع

الحكومة السورية تسحب النطاقات القيمة من ملاكها لامتلاكهم النطاقات بغير وجه حق

اقرأ التفاصيل بالكامل علي البلوجر نطاق

http://www.xn--mgb5a8an.com/article27.htm

The test for idn.cctld will come when people (or rather powerful people) start realizing they have value....
Old 24th October 2007, 08:31 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

I'm Lovin' it! :p
Old 24th October 2007, 08:55 AM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by g

This is excellent news.

Again, I will remind you why Arabic dot coms are my favorites: A market which reaches natively across ~23 countries!

Hail to the ccTLD nitwits across the Arabic world. Keep up the good work!

Old 24th October 2007, 09:12 AM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
This is excellent news.

Again, I will remind you why Arabic dot coms are my favorites: A market which reaches natively across ~23 countries!

Hail to the ccTLD nitwits across the Arabic world. Keep up the good work!

ccTLDs are the biggest joke in the Middle East. If gTLD doesn't get mapped out to IDN as an alias, IDNs will fail if the ccTLDs try to do it. It'll be hilarious (I talked to some people over the summer who have worked with the Middle Easter ccTLD registries supposedly--IDN nay sayers. One just asked me how IDNs were doing last week!).
Old 24th October 2007, 12:33 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fka200
I talked to some people over the summer who have worked with the Middle Easter ccTLD registries supposedly--IDN nay sayers. One just asked me how IDNs were doing last week!.

The fact of the matter is that they get search traffic just like any other domain. Do Arabs search using transliterated arabic, or do they search using arabic characters? (Rhetorical question)

People just hate change, then they get old and move out of the way whilst the younger people have adapted.

Interesting notes about resistance to change:

http://changingminds.org/disciplines...nce_change.htm

Old 24th October 2007, 12:45 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

This isn't even amusing. If you are going to understand the market it is important not to spend too much time in the sun.

Google is just about the only search engine that currently matters.

Nearly all Arabic Web Content is in Arabic and of that nearly 100% will be in Arabic characters.

No search terms other than Arabic in Arabic characters are going to match against Arabic script content, so even if they actually were inclined to use anything else it would not connect. So why would they do that? Take it from me unless they are looking for content on foreign web pages, nearly all search terms will be in Arabic characters and they won't generally be transliterations of English Terms.

Quote:
The fact of the matter is that they get search traffic just like any other domain. Do Arabs search using transliterated arabic, or do they search using arabic characters? (Rhetorical question)

People just hate change, then they get old and move out of the way whilst the younger people have adapted.

Old 24th October 2007, 12:46 PM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Yep. Things will change. From the whole Arabic article situation last week, 99% of the people b!tching were Arabic webmasters... the people who loved the idea were the actual internet browsers.

Problem is 99% of IDNs have parked pages. I'm sure we all control a majority of the IDNs on the forum. I'm trying my hardest to churn out bull websites just because I know I'd be sick and turned off of IDNs if I just kept seeing parked domains. I was thinking about proposing another IDN swap thread, but that didn't work out that well last time I did it (I think in February). It's better for the market if we make awareness through development and give users a reason to use IDNs.
Old 24th October 2007, 12:49 PM
Veteran

Generally speaking if you want to acquire pure gold, you need hard cash!
Old 24th October 2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fka200
Yep. Things will change. From the whole Arabic article situation last week, 99% of the people b!tching were Arabic webmasters... the people who loved the idea were the actual internet browsers.

Exactly. The webmasters resist because they see it as a major threat to their existing domain names. The status quo will shift.

Old 24th October 2007, 01:30 PM
Veteran

The concept of entrenchment here is a bit baffling.

We held Arab names for about 18 months before Arabic Keywords were even indexed.

Yes, the Arabic Web existed before than period. Much of it used to be in non-Unicode characters or even Latin Transliterations of Arabic. This was, however, completely blown away with the advent of Unicode, just as ASCII addresses will be completely blown away with advent of IDN. Any other interpretation is just plain wishful thinking.
Old 24th October 2007, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
The concept of entrenchment here is a bit baffling.

We held Arab names for about 18 months before Arabic Keywords were even indexed.

Yes, the Arabic Web existed before than period. Much of it used to be in non-Unicode characters or even Latin Transliterations of Arabic. This was, however, completely blown away with the advent of Unicode, just as ASCII addresses will be completely blown away with advent of IDN. Any other interpretation is just plain wishful thinking.
Been sitting in front of my computer for the last 5 hours (it's now 5:48AM in LA) doing research on transliterations and such. If anyone thinks IDNs are garbage, please... send them over.
Old 24th October 2007, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

>The syrian electronic government withdraw .sy premium names from their previous
>owners!! . The government said they have no right to register them !!!

That's pretty ball.sy
Old 24th October 2007, 09:37 PM

Charrua is an unknown quantity at this point

I understand the risk on registering domains in the arabic ccTLD i have some top premium idn in the arabic ccTLD i hate those news is more scary than everrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :p

Charrua.