IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th October 2007, 06:03 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Official Version of what GAC is up to in LA

http://gac.icann.org/web/home/IDN_CC...TERIM_APPROACH

Sounds as though some of them at least are enjoying the process to much to focus on what needs to be done.

Surely it is just a question of asking what they all want slung into the root, calling for objections, putting the contentious ones on the back burner and bloody well getting on with it sometime before the next Ice Age!

What baffles me is why they need another committee. The bloody GAC is a committee. Is it only a committee that takes decision on the need to form other committees?

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 28th October 2007 at 06:14 PM..
Old 28th October 2007, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy
Re: Official Version of what GAC is up to in LA

Seems like they're aiming for a board vote for approval of the first batch of IDN ccTLD's around June 2008 - assuming everyone agrees on the process?
Old 28th October 2007, 06:23 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

That would seem to be it.

I think a lot of countries are going to find this all a bit confusing. Many are just going to want know why they cannot have an obvious representation for their country in their own script NOW. What is the point of an interim process that is going to last 9 months when really all you need to do is hammer out and agree a bloody list? How contentious exactly can any of this really be? Bloody hell, I am no linguist, but I bet give an hour or so I could tell you now pretty much what they are going to come up with!
Old 28th October 2007, 08:27 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

QUOTE: "the implementation of its Recommendations could take between 2.5 - 7 years".
Old 28th October 2007, 08:43 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
QUOTE: "the implementation of its Recommendations could take between 2.5 - 7 years".
It that will take or has taken? Where do these people get off? I don't think they really have governments in Asia on board for a game of charades that is going to take that long. I would think if they give the impression it is going to take much longer some kind of crisis is inevitable. It would take the Chinese less than a week to blot out access to the ICANN registeries if they chose to go that route.

I would love to see the fur flying in LA. From what I have seen of the Video coverage of previous meeting few will be in a mood to stomach this kind of bullshit!
Old 28th October 2007, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

If it's truly going to take that long, I think the release of the idn.idn blogs and the "my language" t-shirts to be somewhat premature.
Old 28th October 2007, 10:46 PM

zenmarketing is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't you guys get it?

It's simple: The relevant committees need to form a committee to agree on a time where they can form a committee to discuss the possibility of adopting a resolution to bring together the stakeholders and determine, what, if anything, needs to be done, then draft an outline for a possible timetable for deployment -- but first they need to form a committee to discuss whether forming such a committee is necessary and how such a committee should be formed. Committee committee committee committee committee resolution committee comittee.

(This was the outcome of the last committee meeting.)
Old 28th October 2007, 11:20 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmarketing
Don't you guys get it?

It's simple: The relevant committees need to form a committee to agree on a time where they can form a committee to discuss the possibility of adopting a resolution to bring together the stakeholders and determine, what, if anything, needs to be done, then draft an outline for a possible timetable for deployment -- but first they need to form a committee to discuss whether forming such a committee is necessary and how such a committee should be formed. Committee committee committee committee committee resolution committee comittee.

(This was the outcome of the last committee meeting.)

DHS has probably got them stalling for time.

Old 29th October 2007, 01:15 AM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough

According to ICANN they are doing everything they can to get IDN ccTLDs out ASAP. They are still in the works of drafting regulations and what not and have a lot to "vote on." (I think the lady mentioned they will do some voting on Wednesday or something).