IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th October 2007, 01:42 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about
sal on new opportunities for domainers in 2007

http://www.conceptualist.com/?p=597

He's a clever guy and well respected in ASCII land. All good.
Old 29th October 2007, 02:37 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: sal on new opportunities for domainers in 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru
http://www.conceptualist.com/?p=597

He's a clever guy and well respected in ASCII land. All good.
A really intelligent guy, who felt he might be "overlooking" something would do some serious research. Afraid the jury is still out on this particular "guru".
Old 29th October 2007, 02:46 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
A really intelligent guy, who felt he might be "overlooking" something would do some serious research. Afraid the jury is still out on this particular "guru".
A really clever guy who felt he might be "overlooking" something might well have done some serious research but chosen not to tell everyone what he has found

For instance, if he was considering coming into the market whilst it was still relatively cheap. No point singing the praises of IDNs and creating a stampede is there? He would do that after buying up his stake, not after.
Old 29th October 2007, 02:53 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:
A really clever guy who felt he might be "overlooking" something might well have done some serious research but chosen not to tell everyone what he has found

For instance, if he was considering coming into the market whilst it was still relatively cheap. No point singing the praises of IDNs and creating a stampede is there? He would do that after buying up his stake, not after.
Déjà vu?

Old 29th October 2007, 03:13 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
I doubt that he aspires to be nothing more than thought-provoking, and if you've spent anytime reading his blog, he certainly does do that.

I'm sure you guys are going stir-crazy here.

Bottom line, theres 2 groups of people

1) those who havent got a clue about IDN's, who wouldn't invest because they don't know their subject matter

2) those who do know and see all the mess and uncertainty surrounding the .idn, and therefore are put off from investing seriously

it's not rocket science.
Old 29th October 2007, 03:25 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

Well, certainly Giant and I had an under the rader period and guess one or two others here have done this also.

Did you ever watch Eddy Murphy in Beverly Hill Cop when he was going "Deep, Deep Underground"? Well, he had nothing on these guys!
Old 29th October 2007, 03:55 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale
I doubt that he aspires to be nothing more than thought-provoking, and if you've spent anytime reading his blog, he certainly does do that.

1) those who havent got a clue about IDN's, who wouldn't invest because they don't know their subject matter

2) those who do know and see all the mess and uncertainty surrounding the .idn, and therefore are put off from investing seriously

it's not rocket science.

There's a 3rd group which i belong. The 3rd group sees the mess as chance to acquire more names.
Old 29th October 2007, 04:04 PM

tee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

it's not rocket science.
I think he is talking about those not currently in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
There's a 3rd group which i belong. The 3rd group sees the mess as chance to acquire more names.
as far as those of us in the market, there are some (ok maybe just me) that need somewhere to hangout and be part of a group.

tee1
Old 29th October 2007, 04:08 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

Quote:
Shhhhh , your post is like the high pitch alerting sound a dump truck makes when its backing up.
Old 29th October 2007, 06:26 PM
Veteran

Frankly, I really still don't get all this confusion thing. I am pretty much convinced that whole after-market thing is pretty much academic as far as quality names are concerned. Sure you will continue to see endless supplies of a names being flipped with half-credible translations, but which really don't mean much locally. Buyers are waiting for traffic, but they don't seem to understand that is really the objective of potential sellers as well. I am not going to sell now on traffic multiples, and when I do have significant traffic, I am not going to be selling at all.

There are going to be a few dozen here that can really sit back on their laurels knowing that their future is all but secured. The rest will have to content themselves with anecdotes of how they so narrowly missed out on making a fortune.
Old 29th October 2007, 07:14 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Frankly, I really still don't get all this confusion thing. I am pretty much convinced that whole after-market thing is pretty much academic as far as quality names are concerned. Sure you will continue to see endless supplies of a names being flipped with half-credible translations, but which really don't mean much locally. Buyers are waiting for traffic, but they don't seem to understand that is really the objective of potential sellers as well. I am not going to sell now on traffic multiples, and when I do have significant traffic, I am not going to be selling at all.

There are going to be a few dozen here that can really sit back on their laurels knowing that their future is all but secured. The rest will have to content themselves with anecdotes of how they so narrowly missed out on making a fortune.

a valiant effort Dave, but it is what it is. Like it or not, theres an army sitting on a fence who have the spending power to snap todays hi profile asciis who are sitting it out waiting to see what happens.

The buyers we seek have deep enough pockets to buy when the traffic arrives.

bottom line, they like us are waiting for traffic - and no amount of grand speeches and fluff will change that.
Old 29th October 2007, 07:33 PM
Veteran

They can only buy if those that are holding are willing to sell. It doesn't take much imagination to see a prime portfolio of around 4k names bringing in $25 dollars each. If I have that they can all go and whistle whatever is on the table. We will simply sit out for the Million dollar pay-offs. Also there are only going to be a few ASCII buyers who are going to be able to compete medium term. It will be interesting to see who is buying out who.

With Google endorsing the principle of the single character today, I am now feeling very very confident. It is quite clear that if you don't have those single Moniker domains, you are going to be seen as second tier.

Quote:

a valiant effort Dave, but it is what it is. Like it or not, theres an army sitting on a fence who have the spending power to snap todays hi profile asciis who are sitting it out waiting to see what happens.

bottom line, they like us are waiting for traffic - and no amount of grand speeches and fluff will change that.
Old 30th October 2007, 02:03 AM
Veteran

Quote:

Computer.com sold for $2.2 million. How much traffic does it bring? handphone.com gets redirected to a korean site. Isn't this a waste of PPC for a million dollars name?
Old 30th October 2007, 02:34 AM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni

Quote:
Computer.com sold for $2.2 million. How much traffic does it bring? handphone.com gets redirected to a korean site. Isn't this a waste of PPC for a million dollars name?
That's like saying that an empty lot, smack in the middle of downtown Tokyo would be a waste of money because it's not developed yet.
The traffic is already there. It's up to the investor to decide when and what to do with it.

ASCII have a track record as far as traffic is concerned. IDNs haven't.
Old 30th October 2007, 03:21 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanni
That's like saying that an empty lot, smack in the middle of downtown Tokyo would be a waste of money because it's not developed yet.
The traffic is already there. It's up to the investor to decide when and what to do with it.

Thks, what i am trying to say is that PPC is important to domainers, but to an end user, PPC is not a significant criteria. The relevancy and brandability of the name is more important.

I'll not be investing in IDNs if i only expect to sell to the Florida dudes. In fact, i don't expect to get my windfall from these guys.

These guys got no idea on how to make money beyond ASCIIs.

Last edited by touchring; 30th October 2007 at 03:26 AM..
Old 30th October 2007, 03:26 AM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Thks, what i am trying to say is that PPC is important to domainers, but to an end user, PPC is not a significant criteria. The relevancy and brandability of the name is more important.

I'll not be investing in IDNs if i only expect to sell to the Florida dudes. In fact, i don't expect to get my windfall from these guys.
Exactly !
Old 30th October 2007, 04:29 PM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road

Quote:
the Florida dudes.
These guys got no idea on how to make money beyond ASCIIs.
You sure about that? And, are you sure they all live in FL.?
Old 30th October 2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
You sure about that? And, are you sure they all live in FL.?
While those might not be 100% correct , his initial point is very correct.
Old 30th October 2007, 07:20 PM

The idea is this:

It took the corporate world years to understand the value of domains and their traffic, and the majority of them still haven't figured it out fully. [And most of the prodding and pushing came from groups and individuals, many of who are part of the "Florida dudes" you guys refer to and love to trash.]

Hell, ten years ago, if you owned a top mainstream generic, you couldn't monetize it's traffic to its full potential. The pool of traffic buyers was very limited.

Enter IDN, an unknown and technically non-existent quality; you expect everyone to jump in and hand you over millions, on the notion that someday they will fly?

Good Luck educating the Chinese, Arab, Japanese etc. corporate world.
Come back to me with the results.
Old 30th October 2007, 08:46 PM
Veteran

This is all true but even in those days these guys were buying a lot more aggressively and they were not doing it on traffic multiples.

The point is there are thousands of domainers out there that want to be the next Rick Schwartz or Frank Schilling but the bottom line is most of them just don't have the balls.

Rick and Frank probably don't need IDN. Good luck to them, they are missing out on a bonanza, but you cannot have a slice of everything.

Frank understands the potential for Internationalisation of the Internet and that IDN have a potentially big role. He choses not to get involved and that is his perogative. He is certainly not obstructive. On the other hand there is an individual that claims to be King of the Heap when it should be abundantly clear to everyone that he is standing on one rick in a field full of ricks, but apparently he is only interested in feeding his rick to white cows, because nobody wants to drink milk from the black and brown cows.

Quote:
The idea is this:

It took the corporate world years to understand the value of domains and their traffic, and the majority of them still haven't figured it out fully. [And most of the prodding and pushing came from groups and individuals, many of who are part of the "Florida dudes" you guys refer to and love to trash.]

Hell, ten years ago, if you owned a top mainstream generic, you couldn't monetize it's traffic to its full potential. The pool of traffic buyers was very limited.

Enter IDN, an unknown and technically non-existent quality; you expect everyone to jump in and hand you over millions, on the notion that someday they will fly?

Good Luck educating the Chinese, Arab, Japanese etc. corporate world.
Come back to me with the results.
Quote:

Again you miss the point. Nobody here is really expecting top dollar. At the moment prices are about 1% of ASCII prices, and buyers are still not interested. They are not even prepared to go the 1% to get the other 99% even on something that is starting to look like a sure fire certainty. It sounds ludacrous but under those circumstances the existing owners can only hold on until the traffic comes. If they are forced to dump then yes some of the lower grade stuff is going to get junked, but all that is really happening is hardening the resolve to hang on until the bitter end whatever. I can assure you that once my portfolio is providing even a modest income, selling will be a virtually a Taboo unless we are being offerred close to full value.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 30th October 2007 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost