IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Sales Report

IDN Sales Report Post sales of IDN domains

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th October 2007, 10:02 PM

seesawgame will become famous soon enoughseesawgame will become famous soon enoughseesawgame will become famous soon enoughseesawgame will become famous soon enoughseesawgame will become famous soon enoughseesawgame will become famous soon enoughseesawgame will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to seesawgame Send a message via Yahoo to seesawgame
Cool 丽江.com auction $1,015 at snapnames.com

丽江 wiki
http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E4%B8%BD%E6%B1%9F

Auction at Snapnames.com
Old 30th October 2007, 10:36 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
Re: 丽江.com auction $1,015 at snapnames.com

Just curious...on your link above to the city-

There is the shi 市 sign (丽江市) on the Wikipedia page for this Chinese city.

Have been told that the shi is good for Japanese cities, but not generally used for Chinese cities??

But I have seen it over and over and over with Chinese cities...all over Wikipedia as a matter of fact for most Chinese cities.

So...why have continually it been said that Chinese city domains don't use shi and have little value?
Wondering who is doing the editing at Wikipedia, or maybe this is indeed correct to write city name?

Last edited by bwhhisc; 30th October 2007 at 11:07 PM..
Old 30th October 2007, 10:55 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Pretty good for a doot net. Population is?!
Old 31st October 2007, 12:44 AM

mgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enough

Great domain, was watching this one.

A very beautiful tourist town in Yunnan, China. One of the most popular tourist destinations in SW China. Millions of Chinese and Foreign visitors there every year. One of my favorite places i have visited in China.

丽江市 with the 市 is the official authoritative name used. In normal speech it can normally be dropped, it will generally be used in writing. Both are good.
丽江 i would prefer in this case, as shorter and sweeter
Old 31st October 2007, 12:51 AM

markits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enough

Not a big city (300k in total and 100k in city). It is a famous tourist destination. I guess $1k is a bargain. I did not realise it was dropped. The winner was lucky.
Old 31st October 2007, 12:52 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
Just curious...on your link above to the city-

There is the shi 市 sign (丽江市) on the Wikipedia page for this Chinese city.

Have been told that the shi is good for Japanese cities, but not generally used for Chinese cities??

But I have seen it over and over and over with Chinese cities...all over Wikipedia as a matter of fact for most Chinese cities.

So...why have continually it been said that Chinese city domains don't use shi and have little value?
Wondering who is doing the editing at Wikipedia, or maybe this is indeed correct to write city name?

The official name comes with the shi, like people's republic of china. Which will be worth more?

Last edited by touchring; 31st October 2007 at 12:56 PM..
Old 31st October 2007, 10:55 AM
Administrator

bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bramiozo Send a message via Skype™ to bramiozo

It being the official way to write city names might be a plus as you seem to recognize but then you think can nullify that benefit by referring to the most extreme example you can think of ? The "people's republic of china" is not as pragmatic (and widely used) as "city" .
Old 31st October 2007, 11:18 AM

chineseidn is an unknown quantity at this point

Great name and it used to be a great laid-back town but a bit too much Disneyland these days.

But from a commercial point I wouldn't have mind having it myself.

It's packed with domestic tourists, especially during the Chinese holidays.

I personally prefer 丽江 over 丽江市
Old 31st October 2007, 12:33 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chineseidn
Great name and it used to be a great laid-back town but a bit too much Disneyland these days.

But from a commercial point I wouldn't have mind having it myself.

It's packed with domestic tourists, especially during the Chinese holidays.

I personally prefer 丽江 over 丽江市

The shi thing is difficult to comprehen unless you are familiar with the language.

Last edited by touchring; 31st October 2007 at 12:57 PM..
Old 31st October 2007, 01:36 PM

chineseidn is an unknown quantity at this point

Yangshuo is also very commercial but at least to me, and I have been to both places this year, still a bit less, but that's personal observation.

I'm not sure how difficult it is to comprehend the 市, even though I'm no native speaker.

For example if I ask someone (in Chinese) where they are from they tell me, from 上海, 成都 etc. I have never heard them use 市 in that respect.

According to Baidu index the 市-less version is more popular

上海

成都
Old 31st October 2007, 01:54 PM
Veteran

Quote:

上海

成都

Major cities shi tend to do better. Check out lijiang: http://index.baidu.com/main/word.php...F6%BD%AD%CA%D0
Old 31st October 2007, 01:56 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
My only comment on the "shi" is that for people searching for "City" related websites and services you get a more targeted search.

I have been told that for writing a city name the shi is often used. But for speaking you need use only the city name without adding "city" to end (for most cities, a few appharently have city in the title).

So...I think consensus is that city- no shi is preferable but city with shi has some value for website or city site purposes.
Old 5th November 2007, 09:47 AM

dnnames is on a distinguished roaddnnames is on a distinguished roaddnnames is on a distinguished roaddnnames is on a distinguished roaddnnames is on a distinguished roaddnnames is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to dnnames

Wow nice sale. Good to see IDNs moving so quickly up and up!!
Old 5th November 2007, 12:46 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnnames
Wow nice sale. Good to see IDNs moving so quickly up and up!!
Yeah, very quickly, be the 10th anniversary before we know it...
Old 5th November 2007, 12:58 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru
Yeah, very quickly, be the 10th anniversary before we know it...
Yeah, not really. If you use advanced search on Alexa, and search the URL for XN and then compare what you get for MOBI, it will be quite clear that investments with infinitely less traffic have covered the distance on a road to nowhere, at a much faster rate than the inevitable adoption of IDN. When the investors in those 500K dot mobi's wake up to the fact their extension have been rendered unusuable because they have been locked into a legacy standard, I guess a few of them will have something to say. Mind you the cognitive abilities of this bunch are not likely to bring things to a head for a little while yet!
Old 5th November 2007, 01:05 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

BTW, moonie.mobi is still available.