IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th March 2006, 09:28 AM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough
Correct punycode question..(Again!)

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me which is correct here?

大阪.com -->xn-- -4b1br1olr1e.com
大阪府.com -->xn--pssw0k9v1d.com

(Sorry for the enlarged text but its to illustrate what Im going on about)

I translate both of these (大阪 府 and 大阪府 (without the space)) as 'The Osaka prefecture'
The first one when put into a punycode converter returns no result, because of the space Im guessing. The second one, without the space, returns a punycode of: xn--pssw0k9v1d

When I put the characters into Domainsite to search for availability (An example, I know its long gone ;>)
大阪 府.com
大阪府.com
They both come back as taken but with entirely different punycodes.
And
大阪 府.com has 3 dashes with a space between the 2nd and 3rd dash, after the xn

I asked a similar question about this but I understood that the 3 dash punycode was incorrect and to remove the spaces between the Japanese characters to get the correct punycode. So why would the 3 dash punycode version show as 'Taken' if its not a correct punycode conversion?

This is of course only relevant to phrases more than one word or character long (I think!)
Old 12th March 2006, 09:33 AM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Correct punycode question..(Again!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan
I asked a similar question about this but I understood that the 3 dash punycode was incorrect and to remove the spaces between the Japanese characters to get the correct punycode. So why would the 3 dash punycode version show as 'Taken' if its not a correct punycode conversion?

This is of course only relevant to phrases more than one word or character long (I think!)
[/SIZE]
I assume that the one with the space between kanji is shown as taken because someone took it. As you see there was a lot of trial and error before you. :p

Count your lucky stars that you don't have a ton of these "spaced out" domains in your not-to-renew list. Believe me, some people have quite a few.
Old 12th March 2006, 09:40 AM

DavyBUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Also I believe DomainSite gives the Taken message if the entry is invalid in some way rather than giving any other message. DD24 gives a message that the entry is inavlid but DomainSite seems to give Taken....In my experience anyway...
Old 12th March 2006, 09:47 AM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyBUK
Also I believe DomainSite gives the Taken message if the entry is invalid in some way rather than giving any other message. DD24 gives a message that the entry is inavlid but DomainSite seems to give Taken....In my experience anyway...
Actually DomainSite gives you an "available" but just now I noticed that they started giving you an "errorprohibitedcharacter" message instead of the punycode. Here try inputting this nonsensical japanese domain 漫画 戸 with and without the space.
Old 12th March 2006, 09:55 AM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

Yes indeed, 漫画 戸.com returns a 'ERROR: PROHIBITED CHARACTER.com' result.
And
漫画戸.com returns as available at DS

However, DD24 returns a 'did not return a valid domain name. (557)" message when inputing 大阪(with space) without showing up as taken as per DS