IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th March 2006, 11:55 AM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough
High ovt .net's-Take it or leave it?

What do you think about high ovt .nets?
The .com and .jp already gone.

Does anybody feel that the ovt would have to be a certain score to even bother with it?
Old 12th March 2006, 12:05 PM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: High ovt .net's-Take it or leave it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan
What do you think about high ovt .nets?
The .com and .jp already gone.

Does anybody feel that the ovt would have to be a certain score to even bother with it?
Good question, often asked. Everyone comes down a bit differently. I think it depends where you are in the game. Perspective. I think that 2 years from now you will only dream of being able to register the .net's of high OVT japanese domains especially if they are single word, in many cases 2 word domains.
Old 12th March 2006, 12:14 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Even good .nets are getting rare. There was a lot of superb Kanji .nets available in early Dec, i regret not getting them.
Old 12th March 2006, 02:25 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

I would say take the high Ovt .nets. They are becoming rare in Russian, Japanese, and Chinese - so get them while you can. I would rather get a .net of a good keyword than end up with nothing.
Old 12th March 2006, 08:35 PM

idnceo is an unknown quantity at this point

i dont like them either but well if someone will give me more than the registration cost for the .net is good ROI.
Old 12th March 2006, 08:47 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
Wink Re: High ovt .net's-Take it or leave it?

Domainers don't like them, but once the .com is (gone) they are the best thing going. End users can get tons of traffic with them and even outperform a .com with the right website, contents, advertising and SEO. In practical sense, is anyone feel less about going to www.idntools.net because its a .net. Heck no, you go there cause he has the goods, who cares if its a .net! Thats the value to an enduser. Its in the name, and the content and the satisfaction of the customer going there. Also, anyone is welcome to send me any of your .net lists! We reg them daily when the .com is n/a.

Last edited by bwhhisc; 12th March 2006 at 08:53 PM..
Old 12th March 2006, 09:31 PM

idnceo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
Also, anyone is welcome to send me any of your .net lists! We reg them daily when the .com is n/a.
I guess that comment on available domain lists is also for me. I keep on my lists everything that i found interesting to keep a record of domains availability. But i agree .net will also return good ROI, in fact i found funny a lot of .net are on sale on DNF. and domainers keep buying them. Sure it is better to sell the .net to get funds and to keep the .com and .jp but the point is thats okay to register them if you find potential on them.
Old 13th March 2006, 04:51 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Theoretically, both a .com and a .net can reach the same rankings in the search engines based on their domain names. This is my understanding from reading, I am not an expert! Just passing on the info.

One of the algorithms that the search engines take into account when displaying results is the relevence. Therefore, if someone does a search for "business", a domain with "business" as the name (whether .net, or .cn etc.) would be ranked higher alone on that algorithm.

If the domain name is exactly the same as the "term or word" in the search, then the search engines feel that the matching domain deserves to be ranked very high for that search. That is why a name like "business" is worth tons more that "businesswholesale". The .com is best, but dont count out the .net for end users! Summing it up, anytime the domain name = the search for name...you will automatically have a high ranking in that search.

Now where are those .net lists you guys were sending me (now "us" I guess!). So I will forward the lists to idnceo from here! lol

Last edited by bwhhisc; 13th March 2006 at 04:57 PM..
Old 13th March 2006, 06:52 PM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnceo
I guess that comment on available domain lists is also for me. I keep on my lists everything that i found interesting to keep a record of domains availability. But i agree .net will also return good ROI, in fact i found funny a lot of .net are on sale on DNF. and domainers keep buying them. Sure it is better to sell the .net to get funds and to keep the .com and .jp but the point is thats okay to register them if you find potential on them.
From here on out, it will be a big eco-system with players who have skills and limited capital to those who have capital and no-skills. Those who are in to flip and make the quick buck to those who are buying for future type-in traffic to those who want to develop sites. Room for all manner of players and strategies to make money!