IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd November 2007, 01:46 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Peter Dengate Trush- New ICANN Chair

You will note firstly that this guy is an Intellectual Property Rights Lawyer. That is a major plus for us.

<<Peter practices civil litigation, specializing in intellectual property, competition, and Internet law. He has been involved in ICANN since its inception. As a member of the Boston Working Group, he provided comment in 1998 on the early drafts of the ICANN bylaws, and he co-chaired one of the pre-formation meetings of the Intellectual Property Constituency in Wellington, New Zealand.>>

Furthermore, he is clear on his priorities:

<<"I think our biggest challenges are about serving the global audience. At a technical level there is the challenge of introducing international scripts at the top level for both gTLDS and ccTLDs, as well as new processes for introducing what may be a large number of generic top level domains," Dengate Thrush said.>>

What more could we ask?
Old 3rd November 2007, 01:51 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm
Re: Peter Dengate Trush- New ICANN Chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
You will note firstly that this guy is an Intellectual Property Rights Lawyer. That is a major plus for us.
This could go either way. Please elaborate and rationalize your opinion, I'm interested.

Old 3rd November 2007, 01:59 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

An IP lawyer will have a life time of having vested interests in keep IP protected. That will be his perspective from the moment he gets up in the morning. Nothing is now going to slip past the Board that does not properly reflect the legitimate interests of the existing registries.
Old 3rd November 2007, 02:12 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
An IP lawyer will have a life time of having vested interests in keep IP protected. That will be his perspective from the moment he gets up in the morning. Nothing is now going to slip past the Board that does not properly reflect the legitimate interests of the existing registries.
Yes, I agree from that perspective.

I was thinking more along the lines of ICANN's attitude toward domainers in general. Will they start working overtime to try to kill domaining? I mean if you ask corporate America, they should automatically be granted rights to any domain which relates to their business, generic or otherwise. WIPO already leans quite heavily in favor of corporate America, as you can see from many of their decisions. If ICANN strengthens this view and encourages WIPO even further, then a lot of us could be in trouble.

Old 3rd November 2007, 02:18 PM
Veteran

ICANN are going to be too busy sorting out the Top Level over the next couple of years to revisit Second Level, which as far as dot com is concerned is a done deal.

I have no concerns whatsoever, that the US ASCII are going to be able steam roller claims over foreign generics. Lets face it, up until now they seem to have have had problems buttoning their shirt, let alone zipping their fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
Yes, I agree from that perspective.

I was thinking more along the lines of ICANN's attitude toward domainers in general. Will they start working overtime to try to kill domaining? I mean if you ask corporate America, they should automatically be granted rights to any domain which relates to their business, generic or otherwise. WIPO already leans quite heavily in favor of corporate America, as you can see from many of their decisions. If ICANN strengthens this view and encourages WIPO even further, then a lot of us could be in trouble.

Old 3rd November 2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
ICANN are going to be too busy sorting out the Top Level over the next couple of years to revisit Second Level, which as far as dot com is concerned is a done deal.

I have no concerns whatsoever, that the US ASCII are going to be able steam roller claims over foreign generics. Lets face it, up until now they seem to have have had problems buttoning their shirt, let alone zipping their fly.
No, I am not worried about the US making too many claims on foreign generics, although there will undoubtedly be some. The situation might get nasty in Arabic, though. Arabs seem to use generics very heavily for big and small business alike - for any key generic, you can find tens to hundreds of Arabic companies using it as their name. It will be interesting, for sure. I mean, hell, take Al-Jazeera (The Island). This is about as generic as it gets, yet Al-Jazeera TV created a long battle with the owner of aljazeera.com (A British Company) as they felt they had rights to this name. In all seriousness, the case should have been immediately tossed out of court as this name is without a doubt generic. Well, Al-Jazeera TV lost their reverse hijacking attempt, settled with aljazeera.net, and some good has came of this because now a lot of Arabs feel that since Al Jazeera TV uses .net then .net is also something worthy to use. Anyway...

Old 3rd November 2007, 02:42 PM
Veteran

I have boat loads of Arabic. This is not even an area, I have even remotely considered, let alone lost sleep over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
No, I am not worried about the US making too many claims on foreign generics, although there will undoubtedly be some. The situation might get nasty in Arabic, though. Arabs seem to use generics very heavily for big and small business alike - for any key generic, you can find tens to hundreds of Arabic companies using it as their name. It will be interesting, for sure. I mean, hell, take Al-Jazeera (The Island). This is about as generic as it gets, yet Al-Jazeera TV created a long battle with the owner of aljazeera.com (A British Company) as they felt they had rights to this name. In all seriousness, the case should have been immediately tossed out of court as this name is without a doubt generic. Well, Al-Jazeera TV lost their reverse hijacking attempt, settled with aljazeera.net, and some good has came of this because now a lot of Arabs feel that since Al Jazeera TV uses .net then .net is also something worthy to use. Anyway...

Old 3rd November 2007, 02:52 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

Quote:
as well as new processes for introducing what may be a large number of generic top level domains," Dengate Thrush said.>>
hrmmmm

doesn't mean there will be dname tho
Old 3rd November 2007, 03:48 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDNCowboy
hrmmmm

doesn't mean there will be dname tho
It is a shame any one ever mentioned DNAME.

You lot get more obsessed with things than the KKK mob.
Old 3rd November 2007, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Quote:
I'll call bullshit on that one. PDT is an IP lawyer like JB is an IP lawyer.

http://www.internetnz.net.nz/pubs/in...cann-bkgd.html

"Support for the work of the IDNO was given at the Summit."

That was PDT who stood and gave excellent support for a Registrant's constituency at an ICANN meeting in 1999.

He's not your run-of-the-mill "Microsoft has more rights than you" IP lawyer.