IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th November 2007, 04:47 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
So the Duck has been talking bollucks about the Dollar!

Stephen Jen has seen more than a few bouts of negative sentiment towards the US dollar but none as severe as today.

“This is the first time in my career that I am really worried about the dollar,” says the head of currency research at Morgan Stanley.

“I didn’t know it was going to go so far. The dollar is in trouble. What has so far been an orderly move can easily degenerate into a more violent event.”.....

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/785d6c26-8...0779fd2ac.html
Old 8th November 2007, 04:55 PM

Asiaplay is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: So the Duck has been talking bollucks about the Dollar!

Is killing the HK$ as well (which as you probably know is permantly linked) - sigh...

I am still trying to tie up the link between ya USD posts and IDNs (is it as I don't like to read the financial times I get confused???)... ohhh - guess it is as you pay for IDNs in USD and are therefore enjoying them getting cheaper for you...

Perhaps time for some Rubberduck US$1 drops for those adversely effected - like me - haha... ummm

Cheers - Asiaplay
Old 8th November 2007, 05:03 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Except the value of the HK$ has been consistently rising against the dollar for about 3 months!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaplay
Is killing the HK$ as well (which as you probably know is permantly linked) - sigh...

I am still trying to tie up the link between ya USD posts and IDNs (is it as I don't like to read the financial times I get confused???)... ohhh - guess it is as you pay for IDNs in USD and are therefore enjoying them getting cheaper for you...

Perhaps time for some Rubberduck US$1 drops for those adversely effected - like me - haha... ummm

Cheers - Asiaplay
Old 8th November 2007, 05:05 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Cheers - Asiaplay

It's causing hot money to rush into HK and Singapore, pushing up inflation to unimagineable levels.

The Chinese has subsidies for everything, prices for many things controlled by the government seem stagnanted the past 4 years.

There's no such price controls in HK and Singapore. Rent is doubling, tripling, prices for everything shooting through the roof.

When the American economies starts deflating next year, and the rich Americans need to pull back money to rescue their money losing businesses, the whole damn balloon will collapse in HK and Singapore.
Old 8th November 2007, 05:08 PM
Veteran

If you think this is inflationary for Singapore, watch and see what it does to the US!
Old 8th November 2007, 05:09 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
If you think this is inflationary for Singapore, watch and see what it does to the US!

The US gets less inflation than Singapore. You should ask Asiaplay what inflation in free trade small economies is like. Or maybe Macau is better place to experience inflation?

Even China has less inflation - i went there last week, evetrything is subsidized. The cab fare, 5 years ago, and 5 year later, still same price in RMB. The same with public transport. No wonder they can't stop consuming more oil - they subsidize the damn thing!

Last edited by touchring; 8th November 2007 at 05:14 PM..
Old 8th November 2007, 05:15 PM
Veteran

Watch and wait. I have lived through this in the UK in the 1970's. At the time it was referred to as the British Disease.
Old 8th November 2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
The US gets less inflation than Singapore. You should ask Asiaplay what inflation in free trade small economies is like. Or maybe Macau is better place to experience inflation?

Even China has less inflation - i went there last week, evetrything is subsidized. The cab fare, 5 years ago, and 5 year later, still same price in RMB. The same with public transport. No wonder they can't stop consuming more oil - they subsidize the damn thing!
Macau is crazy... 3 years ago a Secretary was paid 7K / month and happy - now leaves to get paid 15K for data entry :o ... that's inflation... and month on month is growing...
But is true - the smaller the pie / place - the faster inflation hits (especially when water and food are all imported as is true for Singapore and HK).

But anyway - still awaiting ya IDN cleanout Rubberduck (was impressed with the ascii one - thought that was a real statement).
Opps - just kidding - water bill arrived - wait a bit lol

Cheers to the things we can not change and smiles for those we can - Asiaplay

Last edited by Asiaplay; 8th November 2007 at 08:20 PM..
Old 8th November 2007, 08:24 PM
Veteran

As far as I am concerned we are cleared out, except for a few ASCII that need to go the journey.

Inflation is really about people being paid more than they are worth, not so much about those that are underpaid closing the gap. Even if wage increases run at 10% per annum in China for the next ten years, it is unlikely to make cost uncompetitive except with each other.

Quote:
Macau is crazy... 3 years ago a Secretary was paid 7K / month and happy - now leaves to get paid 15K for data entry :o ... that's inflation... and month on month is growing...
But is true - the smaller the pie / place - the faster inflation hits (especially when water and food are all imported as is true for Singapore and HK).

But anyway - still awaiting ya IDN cleanout Rubberduck (was impressed with the ascii one - thought that was a real statement).

Cheers to the things we can not change and smiles for those we can - Asiaplay
Old 8th November 2007, 08:33 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:
As far as I am concerned we are cleared out, except for a few ASCII that need to go the journey.

Send them my way! PM, I might be interested.

Old 8th November 2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:

Inflation is really about people being paid more than they are worth, not so much about those that are underpaid closing the gap. Even if wage increases run at 10% per annum in China for the next ten years, it is unlikely to make cost uncompetitive except with each other.
Guess is good that the expatriate population here never was too high a percentage in colonial days (was scary back then)... would have been plain scary for inflation if the percentage was higher... hahaa...

Cigar - not before the cognac surely sir???...
To think of it, cigars are cheaper these days... Yeah - those nice Cuban ones (which are hard to find in USA) go well with red wine... which I have once in a yellow haze moon.

Cheers - Asiaplay
Old 8th November 2007, 08:40 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:
To think of it, cigars are cheaper these days... Yeah - those nice Cuban ones (which are hard to find in USA) go well with red wine...
Most anything goes nicely with a good Amarone.