IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th March 2006, 11:07 PM

idnceo is an unknown quantity at this point
Japanese Idn.Idn Possible versions? .日本?.会社?。ネット?

Hi! I was discussing with some guys about the possible japanese IDN.IDN , do you guys have any official information about possible japanese extensions? I couldnt find anything official about this, i just find people guessing about it. If some of you already have some available -official or trustworthy- information -not rumors-, can you share it?

My worry is .com, will it become .会社 as some people are saying?I wouldnt think so. .jp is obvious will become 。日本 .If you dont get it, .会社 is not a good name for many domains, specially for people with domains like ローン会社.com as they will get ローン会社。会社 which sounds terrible in japanese, ローン.会社 would sound very good in this case. The same with 音楽.会社 that literally reads music company, instead it would sound much better music.japan 音楽.日本? テレビ.会社 is another than sounds very different テレビ.日本 , テレビ。.net would sound very good for this one. .会社 is a real name, not a short version of com/mercial like .com Anyway im sure it is not going to be this way of using .会社 and people are just creating rumors on .会社

.net as .ネット ? any official? or at least very trustworthy information if there is nothing official about this.

Last edited by idnceo; 12th March 2006 at 11:18 PM..
Old 12th March 2006, 11:18 PM

kenne is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Japanese Idn.Idn Possible versions? .日本?.会社?。ネット?

I really want to know too because it will really impact my portfolio...

Chinese IDN.IDN has exactly the same problem.

.com can be either ".公司" ".商" or ".世界", or something totally random like ".可" ; with each of these choices, some will be happy, some will be pissed off.

Personally, I feel that a random meaningless character ".可" will be the best. But I suspect the decision will be otherwise.
Old 12th March 2006, 11:29 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenne
I really want to know too because it will really impact my portfolio...

Chinese IDN.IDN has exactly the same problem.

.com can be either ".公司" ".商" or ".世界", or something totally random like ".可" ; with each of these choices, some will be happy, some will be pissed off.

Personally, I feel that a random meaningless character ".可" will be the best. But I suspect the decision will be otherwise.
Would .空 be better? Some other possibilities, .坑 .肯, .孔 :^)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnceo
Hi! I was discussing with some guys about the possible japanese IDN.IDN , do you guys have any official information about possible japanese extensions? I couldnt find anything official about this, i just find people guessing about it. If some of you already have some available -official or trustworthy- information -not rumors-, can you share it?

My worry is .com, will it become .会社 as some people are saying?I wouldnt think so. .jp is obvious will become 。日本 .If you dont get it, .会社 is not a good name for many domains, specially for people with domains like ローン会社.com as they will get ローン会社。会社 which sounds terrible in japanese, ローン.会社 would sound very good in this case. The same with 音楽.会社 that literally reads music company, instead it would sound much better music.japan 音楽.日本? テレビ.会社 is another than sounds very different テレビ.日本 , テレビ。.net would sound very good for this one. .会社 is a real name, not a short version of com/mercial like .com Anyway im sure it is not going to be this way of using .会社 and people are just creating rumors on .会社

.net as .ネット ? any official? or at least very trustworthy information if there is nothing official about this.

If JPNIC decides to follow China's step, and hijack .会社, then the remaining alternative is .コム.

Last edited by touchring; 12th March 2006 at 11:34 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12th March 2006, 11:33 PM

Cmon, Touchring, it is true and for me serious, because it certainly impacts the portfolio.
.会社 .日本 are words, not extensions. So you have to pronounce them, im sure you wouldnt like to be pronounced "photo company" but photo net or japan. The latin version sounds cool in japanese .jp and .com i like them when i pronounce in japanese but i know they will become .idn as well, so which one? thats the inquiry and worry..
Old 12th March 2006, 11:41 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Cmon, Touchring, it is true and for me serious, because it certainly impacts the portfolio.
.会社 .日本 are words, not extensions. So you have to pronounce them, im sure you wouldnt like to be pronounced "photo company" but photo net or japan. The latin version sounds cool in japanese .jp and .com i like them when i pronounce in japanese but i know they will become .idn as well, so which one? thats the inquiry and worry..

.jp will for sure become .日本.

.com might become .会社 or .コム. So i believe .コム is more cool? Imagine mixing .会社 with an adult name - looks odd right?
Old 12th March 2006, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Would .空 be better? Some other possibilities, .坑 .肯, .孔 :^)

.坑 is a good one - LOL

(钱.坑 = money.pit)
Old 12th March 2006, 11:43 PM
Veteran

Quote:
.坑 is a good one - LOL

(钱.坑 = money.pit)
There's also an adult meaning to that word. :O
Old 12th March 2006, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Imagine mixing .会社 with an adult name - looks odd right?
Thats the point, it looks odd and its pronounciation is also very odd with many domains.

Anyway the point is someone has trustworthy information? We can start guessing wether it will be .コム or anything else but it is tiring to guess. By the way, .コム doesnt look okay, so i wouldnt bet there. But at least it is meaningless compared to .会社 which would impact deeply the name of many domains. 

Official or trustworthy information, anyone?
Old 12th March 2006, 11:55 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Thats the point, it looks odd and its pronounciation is also very odd with many domains.

Anyway the point is someone has trustworthy information? We can start guessing wether it will be .コム or anything else but it is tiring to guess. By the way, .コム doesnt look okay, so i wouldnt bet there. But at least it is meaningless compared to .会社 which would impact deeply the name of many domains. 

Official or trustworthy information, anyone?
.会社 is used on the ICANN doc mr duck posted the other time.
Old 13th March 2006, 12:08 AM

Quote:
.会社 is used on the ICANN doc mr duck posted the other time.
If thats the case in the idn.idn for .com discussion, im screwed with many .com domains. Though that would make many of my .jp .日本 much better than many .会社

any other documents? I also read several saying .会社 but honestly i find .会社 very odd. Thats why i think is only guessing.
Old 13th March 2006, 12:11 AM

Personally I think if the people making the decisions are in their right mind, they should NOT use "会社".

.co.jp can be mapped to "会社" because it is restricted to Japanese businesses (as I understood it). But .com has nothing to do with "会社". It really is the short for "world commerce" not "company"
Old 13th March 2006, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Personally I think if the people making the decisions are in their right mind, they should NOT use "会社".

.co.jp can be mapped to "会社" because it is restricted to Japanese businesses (as I understood it). But .com has nothing to do with "会社". It really is the short for "world commerce" not "company"
I agree with you Kenne. Thats why im saying these documents or websites talking about .com as .会社 are rumors. I wouldnt like many .com domains to be bad now, as i said i think ローン会社.com would be now very bad compared to .jp, this one would be in .jp ローン会社.日本 and thats a lot of much better than ローン会社.会社 The same with many .com domains.
Old 13th March 2006, 12:23 AM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think there is a reason to panic and fear that Japanese IDN.coms will be worthless or have less value. .coms will always be .coms and ICANN/Verisign will try to map it the way to preserve its superiority.
Old 13th March 2006, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer
I don't think there is a reason to panic and fear that Japanese IDN.coms will be worthless or have less value. .coms will always be .coms and ICANN/Verisign will try to map it the way to preserve its superiority.
It is not about panic but facts. If the documents -that i think and i hope are rumors- saying .com as 。会社 thats very bad news for me. Do you have any information about this mapping you are talking? or you are just hoping .com will become a nice.idn because of Icann?

I mean i dont want to keep just guessing what Icann will try to do because we are registering now. we all need hints on the .com .idn discussions. Im not saying .日本 is much better but if all we know is .jp will be .日本 it seems safer haven to register .jp as i dont have to guess what it will occur to my .com if they truly become something terrible as .会社
Old 13th March 2006, 12:34 AM

I'm waiting for solid information too. Meanwhile I just tried to balance my porfolio,
and keep my fingers crossed hoping that the ICANN people do the right thing.
Old 13th March 2006, 12:44 AM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point

Nobody knows how exactly ICANN will map .com and what it will use in case of Japan, China, Russia or other countries. So, .日本 or 会社 or ネット are all rumors at this point. I am sure that ICANN will ask for a feedback from local businessmen, who are heavily invested in .com and will not let it diminish.
Old 13th March 2006, 12:45 AM
Veteran

I believe i'm ok with .会社 since most of my japanese domains are business categories taken from Yahoo like, ウイルス対策.com, 廃車.com, ファイアウォール.com?

Some of my adult domains may look strange with .会社 though.
Old 13th March 2006, 02:31 AM

hanidn is on a distinguished roadhanidn is on a distinguished roadhanidn is on a distinguished roadhanidn is on a distinguished roadhanidn is on a distinguished roadhanidn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If JPNIC decides to follow China's step, and hijack .会社, then the remaining alternative is .コム.
Japan and Korea can not follow China's intranet step near future because they can not ignore the political influence of U.S. government.

And it is almost impossible to find IDN extensions better than .com...

Only negative point of .com is toggle key to change a character set..

However, we should find out the best IDNs to gain extra positive option and to restraint creating local .IDNs.

Other words, selection of good .IDN is very important to keep moving their current positions into the future.

Not an easy job to find out a good .IDN tho……….

Last edited by hanidn; 13th March 2006 at 02:43 AM..
Old 13th March 2006, 03:31 AM

The most I think about it, the more I agree with hanidn.

".com" should not, and will not be translated into ". 会社", unless Japanese really want to confront and
spite the international internet community for no reason. ".co.jp" is the one that should be translated into ". 会社.日本"
and appropriately so.

Not sure about China though. ".com.cn" will likely become ".公司.中国";so
China might insist on ".com" become ".公司" if only to make it consistent.

But all this is just conjecture.
Old 13th March 2006, 03:39 AM
Veteran

Quote:
The most I think about it, the more I agree with hanidn.

".com" should not, and will not be translated into ". 会社", unless Japanese really want to confront and
spite the international internet community for no reason. ".co.jp" is the one that should be translated into ". 会社.日本"
and appropriately so.

Not sure about China though. ".com.cn" will likely become ".公司.中国";so
China might insist on ".com" become ".公司" if only to make it consistent.

But all this is just conjecture.

.com.cn does not support idn.