IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th November 2007, 12:21 AM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy
Domain King - Accused of defaulting on a .mobi

Is this true? http://blog.domaintools.com/
"Mobi Moniker Auction looks like a deep rabbit hole"

Update: Retraction from Jay
Sri Lanka investment group buyers of shopping.mobi

Last edited by IDNCowboy; 11th November 2007 at 09:42 PM..
Old 11th November 2007, 12:55 AM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1
Re: Domain King - defaults on a .mobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomainTools.com
So I am left scratching my head and wondering what is going on! I went back through my notes and video of the auction. If I was Ari Goldberg, I would be more then pissed. Ari purchased poker.mobi for $150,000 after a lot of these unpaid for names sold right in front of him. To think there might have been shilling bidding to drive up perception of DotMobi value.

After reviewing the video, I see that ZipCodes.mobi sold to phone bidder #161. The shocking thing is that phone bidder #161 also bought computer.com for $2,200,000. Did Tiger Direct, Inc. ever get paid for that sale, it appears they still own the domain?
When I look at the bidding on Shopping.mobi I see that the winner was bidder #338 Rick Schwartz. Rick bought Flowers.mobi for $200,000 earlier this year and set the high water mark for a DotMobi name. Surely Shopping is better then Flowers, so what “other financial obligations” would allow Rick to back out of the successful winning and binding bid?
looks like somebody has some explaining to do.

I started 2 threads this week about this matter in the NP Dot Mobi section and they keep closing them for no reason.

http://www.namepros.com/dot-mobi/394...like-deep.html

Last edited by thegenius1; 11th November 2007 at 02:56 AM..
Old 11th November 2007, 06:39 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

They were buyers from a consortium in Sri Lanka who apparently could not get their funds out of the country subsequently the names were re-offered, most were sold I believe.

These were still unsold :

Shopping.mobi Live $55,000.00 AVAIL
ZIPCodes.mobi Live $8,000.00 AVAIL
jewelry.mobi Silent $15,730.00 AVAIL

I love the obsession on this forum with an ascii extension that is continually derided.- despite the continuing sales.

Already a couple of threads at NP relating so maybe that's why yours was not in?
Old 11th November 2007, 06:41 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

I am saying nothing regarding the TRAFFICS Auctions.

It is time to step back and let the ASCII crowd work out where this is all going, and who has been behind events up until now.

The limited rationale for dot mobi is now rapidly melting away. Those that are too dumb to see the risks frankly deserve to get burnt.

I think it has to be observed, however, that all this seems to have come to a head due to Google's Android announcement, which could be the final nail in the coffin.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 11th November 2007 at 06:52 AM..
Old 11th November 2007, 07:02 AM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wot
They were buyers from a consortium in Sri Lanka who apparently could not get their funds out of the country subsequently the names were re-offered, most were sold I believe.
I got a bridge... Would you like to buy it?

Read domaintools... Jay knows what he's talking about
Old 11th November 2007, 07:04 AM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wot
T

These were still unsold :

Shopping.mobi Live $55,000.00 AVAIL

Already a couple of threads at NP relating so maybe that's why yours was not in?
Kudos to those that made money off of it , thats what its about at the end of the day if it was fair.

But regarding shopping.mobi , Jay claims after viewing the video rick was the winner ?

If you read the np section you will see my threads were closed for no reason.
Old 11th November 2007, 07:05 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

I agree that increased transparency is required, and no doubt some further explanations are called for, but this is not the time for us to get embroiled in this argument. This will run for a while and perhaps get very messy, but for us to get deeply involved will only serve to be counter productive to the positive things that are finally happening for IDNs.
Old 11th November 2007, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
I agree that increased transparency is required, and no doubt some further explanations are called for, but this is not the time for us to get embroiled in this argument. This will run for a while and perhaps get very messy, but for us to get deeply involved will only serve to be counter productive to the positive things that are finally happening for IDNs.
I think if this really happened like Jay says it did , it puts a black eye on the industry as a whole regardless of niche or extensions. Pretty sad stuff
Old 11th November 2007, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegenius1
I think if this really happened like Jay says it did , it puts a black eye on the industry as a whole regardless of niche or extensions. Pretty sad stuff
kinda ironic for domain king to talk about the cowboys.com downfall when he is just as guilty.
Old 11th November 2007, 07:22 AM
Veteran

Maybe, but for us the focus must be on getting accepted into the market place not setting out an agenda to reform it. You have to be a member of group before you can attempt to steer its direction. Let them all get on with it. Our influence will ultimately be minimal but the damage we might do to our own cause will undoubtedly be disproportionately greater. I guess nobody here was actually bidding on dot mobis at TRAFFICs, therefore it really isn't our fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDNCowboy
kinda ironic for domain king to talk about the cowboys.com downfall when he is just as guilty.
Yes, I am sure we will learn about that in due course as well, but again it is not our problem.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 11th November 2007 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11th November 2007, 07:35 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDNCowboy
I got a bridge... Would you like to buy it?
If I thought I could turn a profit of course.

Anyway, I hope the whole thing gets resolved satisfactorily and that there are no lingering smells.
Old 11th November 2007, 07:45 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wot

Can anyone believe this? This is incredible.
Old 11th November 2007, 07:54 AM
Veteran

A crisis in confidence in the markets will make people analyse why domains are valuable. That can only be a good thing for us because our underlying fundamentals are as solid as the Rock of Gibraltar. It is the delivery mechanisms that have let us down until now.

This signals the end of inanedrivel.wtf, and the start of treating the domain business as a serious global market.

We do, however, need to work with the "industry institutions" that are already in place, however, imperfect they might be. This row is a symptom of the growing competition in the domain aftermarket. If only one of the main players starts providing a serious outlet for IDN, that competition will force the others to follow, they will collapse before us like dominoes. If we can make it work in the Moniker Auctions then we will have Round Table, Sedo and Domain Fest beating a path to our doors. To make this work, we need to be seen to be impartial. Don't screw it.
Old 11th November 2007, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Can anyone believe this? This is incredible.

Apparently- According to Monte Cahn.

Not so incredible, if I wanted to move Thai baht out of Thailand over 50K I would have severe problems.
Old 11th November 2007, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wot
Monte Cahn also told us there was a Hebrew IDN sale for $xxx,xxx

If this was the case since Monte would be promoting Hebrew IDNs everywhere. I believe he does know how to speak hebrew.
Old 11th November 2007, 08:02 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wot

Not so incredible, if I wanted to move Thai baht out of Thailand over 50K I would have severe problems.
I have to say, I don't really buy that argument. If you are bidding overseas, surely you would look carefully at the mechanics of moving money around in advance.

Much of Asia works on paperless word of mouth transactions. As many of the countries have lot of expatriate workers using these systems, then cash flowing in the opposite direction would be in demand.
Old 11th November 2007, 08:05 AM

So are we now trying to figure out why rick couldn't get his money out of Sri Lanka to buy shopping.mobi ?

Is that what it has boiled down to ? lol

Last edited by thegenius1; 11th November 2007 at 08:15 AM..
Old 11th November 2007, 08:23 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegenius1
So are we now trying to figure out why rick couldn't get his money out of Sri Lanka to buy shopping.mobi ?

Is that what it has boiled down to ? lol
Yeah, poor guy got muddled between Columbia and Colombo!
Old 11th November 2007, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
I have to say, I don't really buy that argument. If you are bidding overseas, surely you would look carefully at the mechanics of moving money around in advance.

Much of Asia works on paperless word of mouth transactions. As many of the countries have lot of expatriate workers using these systems, then cash flowing in the opposite direction would be in demand.
Agreed, I for one cetainly don't make bids unless I am secure in the knowledge that I can front up the money- no matter where it is.
Old 11th November 2007, 10:10 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wot
Agreed, I for one cetainly don't make bids unless I am secure in the knowledge that I can front up the money- no matter where it is.
I can get your money out of Thailand for you - give me a call any time you want millions of baht taken anywhere abroad

I haven't ever commented on .mobi before - but it doesn't take a genius to work out the whole thing is very dodgy. When Frank Schilling and Sal both post regularly about not getting involved in the extension, and that Rick was just "taking a punt", its pretty clear the whole .mobi over-inflated sale price thing is a bubble that will inevitably burst. Expect some panic selling of "prime" .mobis in future auctions.