IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > النطاقات العربي

النطاقات العربي Discussion on Arabic Domains

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th November 2007, 12:47 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm
Question Unusual traffic to المعرفة.com

This domain has had a 1 page minisite for several months, and traffic has been growing slowly but steadily. Currently receiving about 15 visits per day according to analytics.

It has traffic from all of the Arabic speaking countries, but 35% of the total site traffic is from Algeria - mostly from Algiers, but also from a few other Algerian cities. I find this rather odd. Can anybody tell me why this site is so popular with Algierians?

BTW, the domain keyword is the main searched keyword according to analytics. There are no French keywords in the search list.

Any ideas appreciated.

Old 13th November 2007, 12:00 AM

g is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished road
Re: Unusual traffic to المعرفة.com

there are many websites named with the same keyword but they are using english transliteration of it.... it seems very popular term ....

for examples:

Almarefah.com has a traffic alexa rank of: 128,965

Almarefa.net has a traffic alexa rank of: 46,700

Almarefh.com has a traffic alexa rank of: 404,117

Marefah.com has a traffic alexa rank of: 994,203

Alm3refh.com has a traffic alexa rank of: 64,111

Almarfah.com has a traffic rank of: 1,826,039

Almaarifah.com has a traffic rank of: 503,084

Almaarefa.org has a traffic rank of: 10,194,721

..........etc

this name is valuable .... I won't let it go below 5000$ if not more

have you hand registered or you have bought it?.

Last edited by g; 13th November 2007 at 12:12 AM..
Old 13th November 2007, 12:17 AM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by g
there are many websites named with the same keyword but they are using english transliteration of it.... it seems very popular term ....

this name is valuable .... I won't let it go below 5000$ if not more

have you hand registered or you have bought it?.

I bought it in an auction thread here from a Saudi. He posted it at $10 bin and I immediately claimed it. Then he said he made a typo and bin was $100. We compromised and I took it for $50.

Old 13th November 2007, 12:25 AM

g is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
I bought it in an auction thread here from a Saudi. He posted it at $10 bin and I immediately claimed it. Then he said he made a typo and bin was $100. We compromised and I took it for $50.

nice

I love those 10$ BINs .... haha.... but 50$ is still a bargain!

I couldn't know about its hidden value until I searched today

good luck
Old 13th November 2007, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g
I couldn't know about its hidden value until I searched today

good luck
Thanks.

That still doesn't answer the question why 35% of the traffic comes from Algeria...

Old 13th November 2007, 12:42 AM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough

Could be a newpaper/etc. in Algeria. I tried searching, but couldn't figure it out. Lots of generic terms used for newspapers/magazines/tv stations.
Old 13th November 2007, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fka200
Could be a newpaper/etc. in Algeria. I tried searching, but couldn't figure it out. Lots of generic terms used for newspapers/magazines/tv stations.
I understand that while Arabic is the official language, most folks in Algeria use French.

I get the second highest amount of visits coming from Morocco.

A partner of mine from Saudi Arabia also examined this situation for a while and he could not determine why Algeria and Morocco were the top visitors. The thing is that we are trying to offer content which is relative to the visitors, instead of this minisite, so we would really like to know if it is worth trying to localize toward Algeria and Morocco or not.

I would be highly appreciative to anyone who could sort this out.

Old 13th November 2007, 08:52 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Having worked in Algeria, I would question that assertion.

In 1985, they already had computers with Arabic Operating systems and keyboards.

Amongst, themselves outside the work place NOBODY speaks French.

The government at that time was trying to replace French with English as the main language of study. Not sure how much progress they made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
I understand that while Arabic is the official language, most folks in Algeria use French.

I get the second highest amount of visits coming from Morocco.

A partner of mine from Saudi Arabia also examined this situation for a while and he could not determine why Algeria and Morocco were the top visitors. The thing is that we are trying to offer content which is relative to the visitors, instead of this minisite, so we would really like to know if it is worth trying to localize toward Algeria and Morocco or not.

I would be highly appreciative to anyone who could sort this out.

Old 13th November 2007, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Having worked in Algeria, I would question that assertion.

In 1985, they already had computers with Arabic Operating systems and keyboards.

Amongst, themselves outside the work place NOBODY speaks French.

OK, let me rephrase that with facts:

French is the main language used in Algerian websites.

To test this, just go to google and do a search for nothing more than:

site:.dz

You need to go to page 6 before you see the first Arabic result. Flipping through the first 30 or so pages reveals perhaps less than 10% Arabic results. The English results are few and far between. French is indeed Algeria's main online language.