IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th November 2007, 03:13 PM

alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough
Local Google searches ...

I was just checking the stats of one of my Greek IDN sites ( Πόκερ.com ), and was checking the Google page from where the visitors come from.

On Google.gr when you do a search, you have three option of how you want to search.

1) - παγκόσμιος ιστός ( Search all the web )
2) - σελίδες στα Ελληνικά ( Pages in Greek )
3) - σελίδες από Ελλάδα ( Pages from Greece )

Now, my Πόκερ.com is hosted on a server in the US. The site is a single page site in Greek.

OK, now when searching for πόκερ and selecting Pages from Greece, my site is showing up on the first page.

What is weird, is that I thought this option would limit the search results to sites that are physically hosted in Greece. It appears that this is not the case. The number of results from Pages in Greek and Pages from Greece has a difference of about 100,000 which is quite a number.

So my question is .... What exactly is the 3rd search option supposed to do ??? I have always been curious about how sites are displayed in localised Googles depending on the physical location of the server. I had always believed that Local Googles would favour sites that were actually hosted in the same country, but with me and my example, if this were the case, then my site should'nt even be in the results listings.

Sorry if this didn't make sense, but I was wondering if any others have had any experiences with their results being listed in localised versions of Google.

Alex