IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th March 2006, 12:22 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice
Job Collect

Whois this *$#&% dude anyway? He did it again on 日记!

He's now getting everything. It's obvious this is the first IDN hit script!
His script must check OT and G values and choose based on them.

He has to be connected with some registrar. It's the only way to have the bandwidht needed for the "legal" DoS hit bombing on Verisign.
Old 13th March 2006, 12:26 PM

Edwin is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Job Collect

It's not exactly difficult, if you think about it. In the non-IDN world, there are dozens of players with private registrar connections, many of whom own one or more registrars for the express purpose of drop catching. Any one of them could have set up shop to catch IDNs for themselves, or on behalf of a partner.
Old 13th March 2006, 12:35 PM
Administrator

bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bramiozo Send a message via Skype™ to bramiozo

Exactly, you would have to registrar with ICANN as a registrar, how much was that $500 a year or so ?
Old 13th March 2006, 12:44 PM

Edwin is an unknown quantity at this point

No, it's $2,500 application fee plus $4,000 a year, plus you have to show evidence of $70,000 in working capital. All very minor hurdles to committed players...
http://www.icann.org/registrars/accr...financials.htm

Of course, on top of that you need the actual mechanisms for the drop itself i.e. the server infrastructure, monitoring software etc. but again it's doable for a committed player. And it's not as if they have much competition at drop time (yet) since a program scanning the drops every fraction of a second will pretty much always beat out any manual attempt to secure domains.
Old 13th March 2006, 12:52 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Yes, I've heard many of the dozens of new registrars are only ghost registrars in order to get bandwidht to do the hits. As you know, Verisign assigns a certain bandwidht limit per registrar. Pool has 65 registrars!!!

I wonder... does it pays?

Idea: Let's create our own IDNForums registrar!

Last edited by jose; 13th March 2006 at 12:56 PM..
Old 13th March 2006, 01:02 PM
Administrator

bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bramiozo Send a message via Skype™ to bramiozo

"All very minor hurdles to committed players..."

I dont think commitment is decisive here .
Old 13th March 2006, 02:02 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

One of the registrars needs to step up and catch these drops and put them up for auction to interested parties...similar to what pool.com does. Still might be some good buys and values, but better than one guy snatching all for reg fee. Any ideas?
Old 13th March 2006, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

He's beatable.

Those of you wishing for the drop catchers to pick up the IDN ball are wishing for the death of IDN's at reg fee.

Those of you that are resellers will be shooting yourselves in the foot. The potential profits you have now will go to Snap/Pool/eNom instead.

Don't wish for what you won't be able to afford.

Next minute the effing "domain guru" will show up.
Old 13th March 2006, 06:12 PM

huronargentino is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, if all of you are intrested i will comment this:

At idnpros we are working to create a tool like the one you are thinking here
The ideas is to check every minute (or less) if the TODAYS drops are available or not, and with some parameter (that are a mix of overture, dictionary words, and much more, defined by us) to try registering automaticaly so then can be pushed by different intrested people...

Its an idea we had and the developement its frozen, but, if its intresting for you guys we can return to work on it.
Old 13th March 2006, 06:31 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Let's put it this way, without drop catchers, there are only about 10-20 people actively looking for drops, and most people will end up with some goodies during big drops - many good domains dropping at the same time and everyone gets something.

With drop catchers, and the publicity it brings, hundreds of people at DNF will join the game and when that happens we would be better off digging dictionaries and word list then to look for drops - in fact this is still the best method as Edwin has shown.

Last edited by touchring; 13th March 2006 at 06:33 PM..
Old 13th March 2006, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

>(or less)

Understatement of the decade.

He's beatable. Ask fabfive if he's seen any French TV recently.
Old 13th March 2006, 06:40 PM
Veteran

Furthermore, a few of my best drops are those that are not in jobcollect's list - i've just found out that i've one generic term that earns a dollar a day with about 50 views and 50% clickthru. It's one of those i posted for appraisal here, and it didn't even attract much interest even with public scrutiny.

Last edited by touchring; 13th March 2006 at 06:43 PM..
Old 13th March 2006, 06:42 PM

huronargentino is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Furthermore, a few of my best drops are those that are not in jobcollect's list - i've just found out that i've one generic term that earns a dollar a day with about 50 views and 50% clickthru.
thats intresting, i dont know why, but namedrive its giving me les than 4 cents per click, thats crap
Old 13th March 2006, 06:46 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by huronargentino
thats intresting, i dont know why, but namedrive its giving me les than 4 cents per click, thats crap

Yes, a dollar for 25 clicks, that's only 4 cents a click. At first almost no one clicked! I couldn't stand 40-60 views wasted everyday, so i adjusted the keyword, and presto! Many people start clicking!

I think i'm going to start "reviewing" all high view terms and optimize the keyword. I would ignore those with only a few views a mth. I would strongly suggest everyone to do this.

Last edited by touchring; 13th March 2006 at 06:49 PM..
Old 13th March 2006, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Those of you rooting for the registrars to get involved in the IDN drops need to have a good hard look at the money Snapnames gets for mediocre .com's listed in dnjounal each week.

If you want to bid each other up to crazy prices just tell me - I'll put some crap IDN's up for auction and you can have at them. Better I get your nmoney rather than those registrars :^)

And if you think registrars making more money from delting domains than keepiung them safe is good for the stability of the Internet and your domain portfolio, then , well, now you've gone and got me started.
Old 13th March 2006, 07:04 PM
Veteran

I think the best argument for not going for drop catching companies is one of those mass drops (like the 50-100+ japanese/russian domain that dropped the other time) - where everyone has a chance to get a few good ones - some good ones were available for as long as 10 minutes - i took icecream.com, wheel.com, and cigar.com wide open.
Old 13th March 2006, 07:38 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

I agree. Let's enjoy the great drops at reg fee for as long as we can. When the drop catchers start muscling in I think we're all out of the game.

Quote:
He's beatable. Ask fabfive if he's seen any French TV recently.
Don't know if JobCollect targeted this one or not, but I was pleasently surprised when it went through. I was surprised to get this one also: 城市.net (city).
Old 13th March 2006, 07:47 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive
I agree. Let's enjoy the great drops at reg fee for as long as we can. When the drop catchers start muscling in I think we're all out of the game.

Don't know if JobCollect targeted this one or not, but I was pleasently surprised when it went through. I was surprised to get this one also: 城市.net (city).

No, jobcollect didn't target that. If he did, it'll be gone in 1 sec.

As i always said, there's always something for everyone that tries.

Last edited by touchring; 13th March 2006 at 07:50 PM..
Old 14th March 2006, 12:48 AM
Administrator

Actually, he may have targeted it, but I detected a hiccup at a certain registrar that may have prevented the transaction going through.

That's part of the fun of the drops - when the ones with their own registry connections aren't involved - every once in a while you get one you expected to miss. I pine for the old days of scoring 4 3 letter .com's and a 2 letter .com on the same day. :^)
Old 14th March 2006, 05:29 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
He's beatable.

Those of you wishing for the drop catchers to pick up the IDN ball are wishing for the death of IDN's at reg fee.

Those of you that are resellers will be shooting yourselves in the foot. The potential profits you have now will go to Snap/Pool/eNom instead.

Don't wish for what you won't be able to afford.

Next minute the effing "domain guru" will show up.
lol - I'm already here