IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th November 2007, 12:46 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
Rick Schwartz on IDNs"when the market says so"

RS on "follow the money" musings on his blog:

"IDN won't be big because somebody says so. It will be big when/if the market says so. When the numbers say so."

"In 2007 so far of the top 100 reported sales 91 are .com. So dotcom is KING, not because I say so but because the market says so."

http://www.ricksblog.com/my_weblog/2...eal-story.html
Old 17th November 2007, 01:00 AM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy
Re: Rick Schwartz on IDNs"when the market says so"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
RS on "follow the money" musings on his blog:

"IDN won't be big because somebody says so. It will be big when/if the market says so. When the numbers say so."

"In 2007 so far of the top 100 reported sales 91 are .com. So dotcom is KING, not because I say so but because the market says so."

http://www.ricksblog.com/my_weblog/2...eal-story.html
Jay's translations were wrong....
The domain king only parks domains.....Hell, with his names I'd be a millionaire too.
Shows you the fearless leaders lack knowledge in the field...
German IDN .de's have been doing pretty well..... Most people just don't "get" there are other languages in the world that are widely used.
Old 17th November 2007, 01:02 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

He's correct to a certain extent but the problem is
IDNs bought & sold in the local countries won't be reported to DNJournal.
Most of us didn't even know about Eachnic.com etc.
Asian countries tend to keep that stuff to themselves, I've heard of domain sales already here but even the people telling me won't mention what exact domains were sold but I've heard the prices.
Our local markets won't really get into reporting to the US market because they just won't want to.
You don't hear that Yahoo! Japan has more money in the bank than all the other Yahoo combined but it's true.
So he's right the individual local markets will determine when IDNs are big.
Germany has SEDO & that market IDNs are already doing well it seems.
Old 17th November 2007, 01:22 AM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough

He groups IDNs separately from dot coms...

case closed
Old 17th November 2007, 01:41 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDNCowboy
He groups IDNs separately from dot coms...

case closed

And
Old 17th November 2007, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wot
And
If he wants to do that approach then it would be something like:

LLL.com vs LLLL.com vs Geo.com's vs generic.com's vs idn .com

not grouping all of .com vs IDN
Old 17th November 2007, 01:51 AM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough

I realized that to. Kind of weird since a lot of my IDNs have ".com" at the end.
Old 17th November 2007, 01:57 AM

idnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enough

I think the "real" IDN market will take off as soon as we know the official implementation of IDN.IDN and how it will be associated with IDN.com and IDN.net, in addition to significant increases in traffic. From recent ICANN info, we may have a good idea in 6 to 8 months.
Old 17th November 2007, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnowner
I think the "real" IDN market will take off as soon as we know the official implementation of IDN.IDN and how it will be associated with IDN.com and IDN.net, in addition to significant increases in traffic. From recent ICANN info, we may have a good idea in 6 to 8 months.
6 to 8 months or 6 to 8 years? ;-)

If the next ICANN meeting is anything like the last two then you can count on 6 to 8 YEARS.....
Old 17th November 2007, 02:10 AM

idnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enough

Quote:
6 to 8 months or 6 to 8 years? ;-)

I know what you mean. I've been waiting for 7 years already, with many ups and downs in between. But, from what they claim, the "real" IDN.IDN could be implemented, or at least officially sanctioned and announced by the middle of next year, which would give many buyers the confidence in knowing that the domains are good as gold. However, if they don't associate IDN.com with IDN.IDN, then I see potential problems with massive confusion and further delays in moving the market into the fast lane.
Old 17th November 2007, 02:20 AM

Quote:
I know what you mean. I've been waiting for 7 years already, with many ups and downs in between. But, from what they claim, the "real" IDN.IDN could be implemented, or at least officially sanctioned and announced by the middle of next year, which would give many buyers the confidence in knowing that the domains are good as gold. However, if they don't associate IDN.com with IDN.IDN, then I see potential problems with massive confusion and further delays in moving the market into the fast lane.
If they make idn.idn separate are you going to buy tons of those too?
Keep in mind it will take years for people to remember the new extensions as they are used to typing .com or .cn ...
Old 17th November 2007, 02:25 AM

Quote:
If they make idn.idn separate are you going to buy tons of those too?
Keep in mind it will take years for people to remember the new extensions as they are used to typing .com or .cn ...
It depends on how hard they would make the process - applications, sunrise periods, pre-registration fees, residency rules, etc. The competition was bad enough in November 2000. Unless you've got some kind of inside help or secrets, I'd image getting to some of the top-tier names would be futile.
Old 17th November 2007, 02:26 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
It depends on how hard they would make the process - applications, sunrise periods, pre-registration fees, residency rules, etc. The competition was bad enough in November 2000. Unless you've got some kind of inside help or secrets, I'd image getting to some of the top-tier names would be futile.
Curious, how did they award names that had multiple applications in 2000?
Old 17th November 2007, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Curious, how did they award names that had multiple applications in 2000?
There were a number of pre-registration queues. At the time, I believe I mainly used Dotster.com and Alldomains.com. I also picked up my best names in a drop in 2001 at Register.com.
Old 17th November 2007, 02:36 AM

Quote:
not too worried - when new stuff comes out you'll always see sales of top tier names for $xxx- $xxxx until people know they are worthwhile.... could be another fluke..
Old 17th November 2007, 02:46 AM

Quote:
not too worried - when new stuff comes out you'll always see sales of top tier names for $xxx- $xxxx until people know they are worthwhile.... could be another fluke..
Talking about names like Real Estate, Loans, Money, Cars, Health, Weather, News, Stock, Credit, Movies, Music, etc.

I don't think you'll see names like these going for prices below $10K from the start, because this time, the domains will be the real deal, and I think most of the new owners will know what they've got, not to say you can't snag a few good deals. We've already seen speculator prices in the $X,XXX to $XX,XXX range for IDN.com and IDN.net, in the past two years, even with all of the uncertainty and confusion. I've even purchased some Japanese IDN.coms at $1,000 each.
Old 17th November 2007, 02:51 AM

Quote:

I don't think you'll see names like these going for prices below $10K from the start, because this time, the domains will be the real deal .
Hate to bust your bubble but natives aren't gonna automatically type .idn - They are more likely to type IDN .com as they know .com but they aren't used to typing the .idn. It will take years before natives get used to that...
Old 17th November 2007, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Hate to bust your bubble but natives aren't gonna automatically type .idn - They are more likely to type IDN .com as they know .com but they aren't used to typing the .idn. It will take years before natives get used to that...
I don't mind you bursting my bubble with this one! I hope and pray that IDN.com will be the best and most valuable ones. Ideally, IDN.com will be DNAME'd or aliased with IDN.IDN. But even if there are two versions, I can't predict which will be preferred in the long run. But no matter which may be preferred, if IDN.com gets traffic, it will be worth something, based on PPC revenue or any other way you can convert traffic to cash.
Old 17th November 2007, 05:56 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The competition was bad enough in November 2000. Unless you've got some kind of inside help or secrets, I'd image getting to some of the top-tier names would be futile.

That being the case, how did TDC end up with so many of them?

Quote:
"IDN won't be big because somebody says so. It will be big when/if the market says so. When the numbers say so."[/url]

This is a smirk. The market referring to himself and his gang. Got it? And that somebody might refer to a bird. :p

Last edited by touchring; 17th November 2007 at 05:58 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 17th November 2007, 06:10 AM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

Quote:

LMAO , Dot Mobi

Frank LHAO , Dot Mobi

Sahar LHAO , Dot Mobi

We all know somebody " said so about .mobi"

IDN is common sense , Duh !

Even R.S said " Hell NO " ABOUT BELIEVING IN dOT MOBI HIMSELF

Last edited by thegenius1; 17th November 2007 at 06:17 AM..