IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Name News

Internationalized Domain Name News Recent IDN related News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th November 2007, 01:24 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
FOX NEWS- Group on Non-English Domains formed

"The introduction of the IDNs is absolutely one of the most important changes to the domain name space since its inception," Vint Cerf said during his final meeting as ICANN chairman. "It's taken many years to get to the point where there is confidence that we understand how to do this."

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2007Nov...tNames,00.html
Old 18th November 2007, 01:31 AM

tee1 is on a distinguished roadtee1 is on a distinguished roadtee1 is on a distinguished roadtee1 is on a distinguished roadtee1 is on a distinguished roadtee1 is on a distinguished road
Re: FOX NEWS- Group on Non-English Domains formed

thanks for posting,

what is their mandate? cctlds and thats it.
I like the last paragraph below, addresses partly in foreign languages are sometimes possible :o shouldn't it read usually possible, almost always possible, the only exceptions I can think of are mixed scripts/variants/maybe some that are blocked by the registrar.

"Later, ICANN will have to figure out how to permit generic monikers such as ".com" in Chinese or Arabic. Those broader policy questions are not part of the working group's mandate.

Individuals and companies outside the United States long have clamored for non-English scripts, finding restrictive the current limitation of domain names to 37 characters: a-z, 0-9 and the hyphen.

Addresses partly in foreign languages are sometimes possible, but the suffix _ the ".com" part of an address _ for now requires non-English speakers to type English characters."

tee1
Old 18th November 2007, 02:18 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

"Later, ICANN will have to figure out how to permit generic monikers such as ".com" in Chinese or Arabic"

LATER in ICANN speak can be a long time.
I am starting to feel that .com staying as .com is gonna be just fine
Old 18th November 2007, 07:14 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enough

It is going to be Game Over, long before ICANN get anything agreed let alone implemented!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
"Later, ICANN will have to figure out how to permit generic monikers such as ".com" in Chinese or Arabic"

LATER in ICANN speak can be a long time.
I am starting to feel that .com staying as .com is gonna be just fine
Old 18th November 2007, 08:06 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
"The introduction of the IDNs is absolutely one of the most important changes to the domain name space since its inception," Vint Cerf said during his final meeting as ICANN chairman. "It's taken many years to get to the point where there is confidence that we understand how to do this."

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2007Nov...tNames,00.html

Is vint cerf more credible than DK? DK says that IDNs are useless.
Old 18th November 2007, 08:12 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enough

DK has yet to grasp the concept that people will only type in terms that are meaningful to them. As far as the Chinese are concerned ASCII domains are little more than random character strings much of the time. Is that what he thinks domaining is about?
Old 18th November 2007, 08:15 AM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
DK has yet to grasp the concept that people will only type in terms that are meaningful to them. As far as the Chinese are concerned ASCII domains are little more than random character strings much of the time. Is that what he thinks domaining is about?
well it looks like there were a few serious bidders at the geo auction... every geo they bid on practically got turned down - even the idns ;-)

3 million dollars - wowzers
Old 18th November 2007, 08:35 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDNCowboy
well it looks like there were a few serious bidders at the geo auction... every geo they bid on practically got turned down - even the idns ;-)

Due to the weather? The fall in sentiments had been drastic the past 3 weeks. Not just domaining, but also the stock market.

There was a auction for the piece of office building land in singapore, the price was $700million. Just 2 months earlier, the adjacent piece of land of about the same size was sold for $1.4billion. 50% loss in 2 months.
Old 18th November 2007, 09:15 AM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Due to the weather? The fall in sentiments had been drastic the past 3 weeks. Not just domaining, but also the stock market.

Excluding the IDNs, there were very few good .coms in this auction. Even some of the IDNs were crap (italian or whatever they were). I have my own theory about how and why those IDNs were entered into this auction, although I have not checked yet who owns them.

Also, you can't reasonably expect people to pay big money for 4-word combos. As well, taking a state or country name onto a city is only valuable if it's required for disambiguation.

I think the geo domain auction business is a limited time business. Good geo domains might get flipped once only, and ascii is largely finished. AC might need to find a way to interest and bring the market to geo IDNs if they want to continue this auction with any success.

I was extremely disappointed that none of the IDNF IDNs got sold, but I guess I wasn't surprised.

Who made the $20 comment anyway, was it Dan Guyes or one of his worshippers?

Old 18th November 2007, 10:07 AM
Veteran

Quote:

It is difficult to know how many of these were actual bids. The auctioneer appeared to be bidding against himself most of the time. Monte really ought to put this guy out to grass, it was clear he had not familiarised himself with the list.
Old 18th November 2007, 02:05 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:
well it looks like there were a few serious bidders at the geo auction...

Well, at least FS and I have the same opinion about this one:

"This isn’t so much an indictment of the geo domain market as it is non .com extensions, geo-domains and compound phrases without big Overture value apart."

Old 18th November 2007, 08:08 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
"The introduction of the IDNs is absolutely one of the most important changes to the domain name space since its inception," Vint Cerf said during his final meeting as ICANN chairman.
The most amazing part about this quote is this is the first time I've EVER read Vint Cerf admit that IDN's actually exist.

Quote:
"It's taken many years to get to the point where there is confidence that we understand how to do this."
Wow Vint, great conclusion to 8 years of testing. You are finally confident this can be done.

Sorry to be a little cynical but Jesus H. Christ. How many times have we read him blow smoke up our asses?
Old 18th November 2007, 08:10 PM
Veteran

Adam. Your Alive!
Old 18th November 2007, 09:43 PM

idnowner is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcle
Jesus H. Christ.
Quit using my domain name in vain.
Old 18th November 2007, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Adam. Your Alive!
Yeah, story of our IDN life...they make an insane amount of money and you hardly ever hear from them again. :p
Old 19th November 2007, 02:04 AM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Adam. Your Alive!
Yeah Dave, I've been around just lurking from a distance.

Quote:
Quit using my domain name in vain.
You never cease to amaze me with your domains Gregg. Oh and sorry the blasphemous use of your domain.

Quote:
Yeah, story of our IDN life...they make an insane amount of money and you hardly ever hear from them again.
Hey ya Bill how's it hanging? That's still in the making. There's more coming for all of us; that I'm positive on. So how come you missed out on Vegas?