IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > 日本語ドメイン

日本語ドメイン Discussion for Japan IDN Domain names. Japanese IDNs are available in .com .net & .jp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd November 2007, 09:25 AM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point
75% of Japanese domain owners buy .jp

I like this recent article about a survey that a company conducted among 300 people (breakdowns given in the article). Article is here

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...0033-inet-inet

Most interesting tidbits are that 25% of those 300 people surveyed had registered domain names. About 78.5% of them owned them for email and the rest for their own websites or blogs. And of those who owned one or more domain names, 73.6% owned .JP and 25.3% owned .COM with 8.8% owning .NET. The .JP owners reported that they trusted that in times of technical or administrative trouble relating to the domain they had confidence that those issues could be resolved in Japanese and not another language.
Old 22nd November 2007, 09:35 AM

seamo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 75% of Japanese domain owners buy .jp

Great report Rhys.

Wish I'd invested more heavily in them while I had the chance, and there were more cherries available to pick!
Old 22nd November 2007, 09:55 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I see it more & more, with simple jps being available it's only natural that new business owners & younger people are choosing dot jp.
I remember when dot jp was originally launched & business owners thought it was a sort of threat because the co.jp had to have the company status.
Younger generation will always use what fits them best, you have to keep up with what they think.
Old 22nd November 2007, 02:54 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

Thanks for the link rhys
Old 24th November 2007, 03:48 AM

Ryu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished road

this survey is ridiculous as hell.

the article is talking about "ordinary Internet users". 300 people that rhys described about are said to be representing Japanese "ordinary Internet users".

if one fourth of Japanese ordinary Internet users has registered domain names and 75% of which is .jp, why is the number of .jp registration as low as approx. 1 million in total (including ASCII.jp, IDN.jp, co.jp, ne.jp, and everything else)?

it simply does not make any sense.

i also find the statement "75% of Japanese domain owners buy .jp" highly suspicious.

ASCII.jp is much more expensive than ASCII.com. (IDN.jp is negligible at the moment)

why would 75% of japanese "ordinary Internet users" pay so much more to have .jp domains (that they mainly use for emails only, according to the survey)?

Last edited by Ryu; 24th November 2007 at 10:12 AM..
Old 24th November 2007, 08:19 AM

burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point

Self-report data does have its problems. If you want, you could check what people actually 'do' rather than what they claim.

One way to check would be to take a large, random sample of domain names in various extensions and check WHOIS. This would have its own problems with sampling.

In the mean time, I suppose we have to rely on hunches and secondary sources.
Old 24th November 2007, 08:46 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsinternet
Self-report data does have its problems. If you want, you could check what people actually 'do' rather than what they claim.

One way to check would be to take a large, random sample of domain names in various extensions and check WHOIS. This would have its own problems with sampling.

In the mean time, I suppose we have to rely on hunches and secondary sources.

Any promoting of IDNs, .jp or .cn, is good for idn.com. Promotion is better than no promotion??

Look at dot mobi, how much marketing can just the registrar alone do? Dot mobi speculators are left in the lurch. http://domainstate.com/showthread.ph...threadid=84423
Old 24th November 2007, 08:51 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Any promoting of IDNs, .jp or .cn, is good for idn.com. Promotion is better than no promotion??

Look at dot mobi, how much marketing can just the registrar do?
But Pinky Brand will get lynched from the nearest tree when they see what Opera Mini is doing!
Old 24th November 2007, 09:22 AM

Ryu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished road

deleted on 2nd thought
Old 24th November 2007, 09:50 AM
A.W.O.L

Ryu I don't think it's a matter of price, it's a matter right now that the domain companies might actually want in dot com is gone.
It isn't so easy to get a good simple dot com anymore.
Old 24th November 2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
[/url]
unfortunately, the survey is about domains in general. idn is mentioned nowhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
Ryu I don't think it's a matter of price, it's a matter right now that the domain companies might actually want in dot com is gone.
of course, companies don't care about price difference. however, the article is reporting (or bullshitting) about "ordinary Internet users", most of whom use domains for emailing only (according to them)...

Last edited by Ryu; 24th November 2007 at 11:24 AM..
Old 24th November 2007, 11:37 AM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

dup

Last edited by jacksonm; 24th November 2007 at 12:00 PM..
Old 24th November 2007, 11:58 AM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu
unfortunately, the survey is about domains in general. idn is mentioned nowhere.

of course, companies don't care about price difference. however, the article is reporting (or bullshitting) about "ordinary Internet users", most of whom use domains for emailing only (according to them)...

Ryu, as you will come to discover, people around here will twist and amplify any gleam of light and will also downplay any hint of darkness. You can call it optimism, wishful thinking, or many other terms :-)

I used to believe that only statistics and simple proofs were the truth. Today, I believe that truth is defined by the belief of the majority, right or wrong. And you simply can not argue with "the truth".

Old 24th November 2007, 12:09 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
Well that is an admission if ever there was one that dot com is the first choice amongst those that matter!
Old 24th November 2007, 12:35 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Summary: In the end both .com and .jp will ALL be winners.
Old 24th November 2007, 12:43 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
Summary: In the end both .com and .jp will ALL be winners.
No real arguments there. It is really a no brainer that both dot JP and dot CN will be used along side dot com. They may even eventually be worth more. Frankly who cares?
Old 24th November 2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
Today, I believe that truth is defined by the belief of the majority, right or wrong.
according to "your definition", "the truth" was that Iraqis had WMD prior to American invasion. perhaps it was also "the truth" among american policy makers that political reform of Iraq was going to be as easy as it was with Japanese after WWII.

adventures that are not supported by logics and evidences are nothing but gambles. you might win a gamble or two by luck, but chances are that such gambles result in disaster (following a minute of "victory" sometimes).

p/s my apologies to american members for bringing up an iraqi case here. it's just that it is easy to pick up ur country because everyone knows a lot about you. i am not anti-american. i am very well aware that so many others, including japanese, are at least as bad as americans.
Old 24th November 2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu
adventures that are not supported by logics and evidences are nothing but gambles. you might win a gamble or two by luck, but chances are that such gambles result in disaster (following a minute of "victory" sometimes).
Oh, I certainly agree with you. My point was that if a belief is not widely held, then it's not true - if it is widely held, then it is true. And it's as futile as pissing in the wind to argue against this type of truth with logic and evidence. Simply look at the constant riducling and smear campaigns against scientists who have brought evidence of the global warming caused by greenhouse emissions.

Old 24th November 2007, 01:55 PM
Veteran

I certainly agree that trying to persuade domainers with rational arguments will generally get you nowhere. Nearly all of them have their own ideas and agendas to which they remain totally loyal, however perverse the underlying rationale.
Old 24th November 2007, 02:31 PM
A.W.O.L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Well that is an admission if ever there was one that dot com is the first choice amongst those that matter!
Actually to me those that matter are the corporate guys & they would probably prefer co.jp still.

Domains & extensions have different purposes

com - International
jp - Japan
co.jp - Established Japanese Company

IDNs don't have a first choice yet because the general public doesn't really know they exist yet. I went to the Softbank Shop to ask about a new phone & is it IDN compatible & the guy was asking me do I want my email address in Japanese?