IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th November 2007, 11:39 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
An Important Step toward the Implementation of IDN Top-Level Domains: New Versions of

Revised papers of the technical standards that define the implementation of IDNs — the standards are called IDNA — were recently released via the IETF editors. These revisions are an important step toward the delegation of IDN top-level domains....

http://www.icann.org/announcements/a...nt-26nov07.htm
Old 27th November 2007, 12:10 PM

domain_trader is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: An Important Step toward the Implementation of IDN Top-Level Domains: New Versions of

The big question for me skimming through the documents is whether any revisions would involve changes to the existing IDN structure, which could potentially stuff up us existing registrants if there were major rule changes. I think the answer, if I read correctly, is no:

"IDNA does not depend on any changes to DNS servers,
resolvers, or protocol elements, because the ASCII name service
provided by the existing DNS is entirely sufficient for IDNA.

IDNA is applied only to DNS labels."

[sigh of relief]

DT
Old 27th November 2007, 12:20 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: An Important Step toward the Implementation of IDN Top-Level Domains: New Version

elimination of confusing and non-reversible character mappings;

>>> What does non-reversible mappings mean?
Old 27th November 2007, 12:23 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: An Important Step toward the Implementation of IDN Top-Level Domains: New Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
elimination of confusing and non-reversible character mappings;

>>> What does non-reversible mappings mean?
I think, but I am not sure there are odd case when you can generate punycode from the Unicode but cannot get back to exactly the same Unicode from that punycode.
Old 27th November 2007, 12:57 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

I think it involves the german character ß being represented as ss - almost a lone case as far as I know - another anomoly to be coped with.
Old 27th November 2007, 02:22 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru
I think it involves the german character ß being represented as ss - almost a lone case as far as I know - another anomoly to be coped with.

Yes, but this is already eliminated. No registry permits registration of names containing the scharfes s - nameprep automatically converts it to ss. Oh what a bunch of good names would open up of they would only allow the scharfes s in IDNs :-)

Old 27th November 2007, 02:36 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
Yes, but this is already eliminated. No registry permits registration of names containing the scharfes s - nameprep automatically converts it to ss. Oh what a bunch of good names would open up of they would only allow the scharfes s in IDNs :-)

That's the most recent discussion on the IDNA mailing list - and that's from the people that are preparing the standard, so I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.
Old 27th November 2007, 02:51 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm

Land rush for the SSes?
Old 27th November 2007, 02:54 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:
Land rush for the SSes?
I could imagine a period where they let the ss holders get at them first, but perhaps not. German courts have already ruled that asci typo holders are not automatically entitled to the proper spelling unless it's a TM of course.

Old 27th November 2007, 04:08 PM

burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Land rush for the SSes?
That would be a wicked good time! I doubt I would get anything, though. My luck on those is bad. But, I can dream!