IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th March 2006, 05:08 PM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road
Re: Future scenarios

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
How much did it earn on parking service?
It's parked at Namedrive (I meant their Google feed's smartpricing).

CPC started at around $0.11 and has been smartpriced down to $0.06.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer
My Japanese IDNs are earning 80 cents per month total on NameDrive. That makes me wonder...
Yep, the other 99% of my Japanese domains have made $5 total this month.

Last edited by gammascalper; 15th March 2006 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 15th March 2006, 05:17 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammascalper

So you are getting an average of 22 clicks a day for this name? It's quite reasonable for other kind of names like Arabic or European, but surprisingly high for Japanese.

Last edited by touchring; 15th March 2006 at 05:20 PM..
Old 15th March 2006, 05:21 PM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So you are getting an average of 22 clicks a day for this name? It's quite reasonable for other kind of names like Arabic, but surprisingly high for Japanese.
Yes, roughly -- CTR is 70.49%

People are looking for music and they click.

It's a total fluke. Like I said, hundreds of other Japanese IDN together have made $5 this month.

But it goes to show that Japanese users type-in Kanji.
Old 15th March 2006, 05:25 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Yes, roughly -- CTR is 70.49%

People are looking for music and they click.

It's a total fluke. Like I said, hundreds of other Japanese IDN together have made $5 this month.

But it goes to show that Japanese users type-in Kanji.

Ic, perhaps your ads are in japanese? This will significantly affect CTR. Did you use kanji for the keyword?
Old 15th March 2006, 05:30 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Ic, perhaps your ads are in japanese? This will significantly affect CTR. Did you use kanji for the keyword?
My keywords are "japanese music" in English. ND didn't accept unicode keywords last I checked.

In my limited experience with IDN, when users are looking for something to see or something to listen to, they tend to click if they see the slightest hint of keywords they recognize.
Old 15th March 2006, 05:53 PM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Yep, the other 99% of my Japanese domains have made $5 total this month.
So, I am not the only one who's looking at his 300K OVT Japanese top generic IDN.com, which is getting 3 hits per month thinking "this is messed up" :-)
Old 15th March 2006, 05:56 PM
Veteran

Quote:
So, I am not the only one who's looking at his 300K OVT Japanese top generic IDN.com, which is getting 3 hits per month thinking "this is messed up" :-)
Yeah! That's a disappointment isn't it?

For me so far, it's the most unlikely domains that are getting the most traffic. I suspect it has to do with serendipitous offline advertising.
Old 15th March 2006, 06:05 PM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point

They way I think about it (and I might be wrong) is when everything is done and that IDN is recording several thousand hits per month, the overall portofio will expand by the same multiple. It's like holding refinance.com in early 1994 and wondering why it's not earning any money.
Old 15th March 2006, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

>Did someone say that IE7 will automatically put the .com, if that's true, that alone will increase type-in by a few folds.

I'm hoping that will be the default setting.

It would certainly promote IDN's as the users who typed a script keyword into their address bar would hopefully see a website appear. Hopefully IE7 will handle spaces in a technically correct way, unlike Safari.
Old 15th March 2006, 06:11 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

What is the default behavior in the IE7 beta?
Old 15th March 2006, 06:22 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
>Did someone say that IE7 will automatically put the .com, if that's true, that alone will increase type-in by a few folds.

It would certainly promote IDN's as the users who typed a script keyword into their address bar would hopefully see a website appear. Hopefully IE7 will handle spaces in a technically correct way, unlike Safari.

That will really help IE gain market share. The money they earn from the ads is really peanuts as compared to the firefox threat.
Old 15th March 2006, 06:34 PM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

You can stop dreaming of a default setting. MSFT makes too much money by routing such type-ins to MSN search. However, as I pointed out before, IE7 allows for a quickkey (CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER) to append a single default extention of your choice. Go to "Tools"/"Internet Options"/"General" tab at the bottom "Languages" and see the bottom of the screen "Locale specific suffix"

But 95% of users will never find this functionality. MSFT will never let IE default to a .com or any extention without the user typing it expressly. 1. They receive too much traffic from defaulting such type-ins to their MSN search engine. 2. Liability issues.

Additional consideration - IE market share is impressive and a strategic asset but it doesn't earn MSFT anything. So which should they worry about really Google or Firefox. Google of course. Firefox is only an enabler for Google.

Last edited by rhys; 15th March 2006 at 06:38 PM..
Old 15th March 2006, 06:41 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Hopefully IE7 will handle spaces in a technically correct way, unlike Safari.
I wonder if a large % of type-ins are lost from multiple term non-IDN due to the rerouting to the SE?

If it's a big number, multiple term CKJ equivalents ought to perform that much better, since they're typed without spaces.
Old 15th March 2006, 10:32 PM

hanidn is on a distinguished roadhanidn is on a distinguished roadhanidn is on a distinguished roadhanidn is on a distinguished roadhanidn is on a distinguished roadhanidn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
However, as I pointed out before, IE7 allows for a quickkey (CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER) to append a single default extention of your choice. Go to "Tools"/"Internet Options"/"General" tab at the .
Try CTRL+ENTER only without any setting, you will see...it works same for .com ....

Quote:
I think you are off with "0.015 = keyword type_in at the address box / overture uses – switch key to insert .com" statement.

Some of the IDNs are earning 1.88$ TODAY.

I believe you think the 0.015 is too small?

This multiplier means almost 2 persons type in among the 100 overture users (not exactly but easy to understand here).

Try your IDNs…
1) Add all your domains’ (regardless its extensions: given extra) OVT scores.
2) Divide it by 100,000
3) Multiply it by 2 dollars
4) Multiply it by 30 days will be monthly income.

Do you make money more than that now by all your IDNs?

I am sure that your IDNs earning is way lower than that…

I know 0.015 is too small after many years… but not now and next year..

Last edited by hanidn; 15th March 2006 at 11:49 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 15th March 2006, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanidn
Try CTRL+ENTER only without any setting, you will see...it works same for .com ....
Yes, that's right, it does. Users will be able to toggle between .com and another extention like .jp if they set IE to do so. But there is a huge gap between making something dependent on user typing CTRL+ENTER and making it simply a default when user hits ENTER. I think this functionality is of no meaningful consequence for the value of our domains. 98% of users probably will never discover this, I hope I'm wrong.
Old 15th March 2006, 11:34 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Apple's Safari defaults to .com when you press return.
Old 15th March 2006, 11:44 PM

hanidn is on a distinguished roadhanidn is on a distinguished roadhanidn is on a distinguished roadhanidn is on a distinguished roadhanidn is on a distinguished roadhanidn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yes, that's right, it does. Users will be able to toggle between .com and another extention like .jp if they set IE to do so. But there is a huge gap between making something dependent on user typing CTRL+ENTER and making it simply a default when user hits ENTER. I think this functionality is of no meaningful consequence for the value of our domains. 98% of users probably will never discover this, I hope I'm wrong.
Yes, they never know....

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
Apple's Safari defaults to .com when you press return.
Opera browser does too....

Last edited by hanidn; 15th March 2006 at 11:45 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 16th March 2006, 12:13 AM

Clotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enough

Quote:
We could educate them. We have control of an immense advertising source. Just place one line at the bottom of your pages that says "Press Control + Enter to set your default extension" or better yet maybe someone can write a javascript to do the same like the "press here to make this your homepage" ones. If we all did something like this on just our custom parking pages the populace of any language would become aware of it rather quickly. We are in the advertising business after all.
Old 16th March 2006, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clotho
We could educate them. We have control of an immense advertising source. Just place one line at the bottom of your pages that says "Press Control + Enter to set your default extension" or better yet maybe someone can write a javascript to do the same like the "press here to make this your homepage" ones. If we all did something like this on just our custom parking pages the populace of any language would become aware of it rather quickly. We are in the advertising business after all.
I think that THIS is a GOOD IDEA. Can anyone comment as to feasibility? As long as users get to choose the extention it defaults to whether it be .com or a ccTLD, I would promise to put this on all my pages.