IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st December 2007, 12:58 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
FS: If .asia is a winner ‘in asia’, then IDN’s are doomed...

From Frank Schoolers blog. I get the feeling he is starting to like IDNs.

ASIA/ IP Issues

1. CNN: “The .Asia rollout shows in many ways how the Wild
West days are dwindling for cyber-squatters — known as
“domainers” — to mine high-value names.”

***FS*** Yawn.. Buy .asia to flip and make money .. don’t build your house there.
If .asia is a winner ‘in asia’, then IDN’s are doomed.. if IDN’s win then ascii.asia is doomed.

http://www.sevenmile.com/

Last edited by bwhhisc; 1st December 2007 at 01:16 PM..
Old 1st December 2007, 01:01 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about
Re: FS: If .asia is a winner ‘in asia’, then IDN’s are doomed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
From Frank Schoolers blog. I get the feeling he is starting to like IDNs.

ASIA/ IP Issues

1. CNN: “The .Asia rollout shows in many ways how the Wild
West days are dwindling for cyber-squatters — known as
“domainers” — to mine high-value names.”

***FS*** Yawn.. Buy .asisa to flip and make money .. don’t build your house there. If .asia is a winner ‘in asia’, then IDN’s are doomed.. if IDN’s win then ascii asia is doomed.

http://www.sevenmile.com/
i've got a lot of respect for frank, and he generally knows his stuff, but he clearly isn't in the "asian loop" if he thinks .asia has any chance of dooming IDNs. The lesson is as always: talk about what you know about
Old 1st December 2007, 01:15 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru
i've got a lot of respect for frank, and he generally knows his stuff, but he clearly isn't in the "asian loop" if he thinks .asia has any chance of dooming IDNs. The lesson is as always: talk about what you know about
I don't think Frank thinks .asia has much of a long term chance.
From reading his blog and others most feel that these "new" extensions are just trolling on existing tld holders
to purchase them to protect their brand.
Old 1st December 2007, 01:18 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

Many people just don't seem to understand that IDNs are not extenstions onto themselves. They say "Dot com is king" and that .asia is competing with IDNs. Apples and oranges. IDNs, as we discuss them currently are before the dot. Dot com or dot asia - after the dot.

I can see how .asia may be useful for some businesses. However, I don't think .asia will have much appeal to the general population of Asian countries. I would think the respective ccTLD would be preferable for most people from Asia.

Dot asia is just another domainer extension with no real utility or need.
Old 1st December 2007, 01:21 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I don't think Frank thinks .asia has much of a long term chance.
From reading his blog and others most feel that these "new" extensions are just trolling on existing tld holders
to purchase them to protect their brand.
you are obviously more tuned into frank's nuances than I am. I just read it as meaning a straight fight between IDN and .asia in his opinion.
Old 1st December 2007, 01:29 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation

The way i am reading it... FS does not compare idns to .Asia...and very well understands the fundamental difference between the 2.
I also if reading this right see FS has no expectation to see .Asia succedd anymore then .Tel or any other junk ext in the making...
i think he feels neutral to idns @ the moment based on the uncertainties that still exist.

IMO .Asia is 1000% BS...i don't know why would people want to create they're i.e Japanese brand identity under .Asia...i don't see what considered to be natural success parameters apply
to Tokyo.asia or to TelAviv.MiddleEast for that matter.

And the bottom line is...with all due respect to FS and anyone else in the domain industry...they dont make a billion chinese go for chinese domains with or without an english .com after it
so sure for the flippers it would be much better to have FS and dominent personalities investing into idns...but in reality it makes no diffrence...only time will tell.
Old 1st December 2007, 01:31 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Well, if that is all we have to worry about! :p
Old 1st December 2007, 01:32 PM

even if some people in asia identified themselves strongly as asians (doubtful hyphothesis imo), chances are they wouldn't want to write .asia in english script.

So .... likely to be the biggest TLD turkey of the decade, till the next one comes along, perhaps .letstryandripofftrademarkholdersformoredosh
Old 1st December 2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive
I don't think .asia will have much appeal to the general population of Asian countries. I would think the respective ccTLD would be preferable for most people from Asia. Dot asia is just another domainer extension with no real utility or need.
Very much agree. I think .com and ccTLD's are going to be top of food chain, hopefully at least ccTLDs becoming idn.idn.
On another note, Tina Dam popped onto forum last night, I pm'd her to see if she would answer questions (no response)
and popped up the "most current" Tina thread with questions on to the top of home page but again no response.
Old 1st December 2007, 01:36 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

I would think dot Asia's best hope is that they are rescued by the guys at .Museum!:p
Old 1st December 2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
I would think dot Asia's best hope is that they are rescued by the guys at .Museum!
LOL. Hey, my few dozen idn.ws ("WorldSite" so the sales pitch went) ... probably has a better chance :p
Old 1st December 2007, 01:43 PM
Veteran

Actually dot Asia was hotly tipped by Rick at one point, but my hunch is he will not be straying far from dot com in future.
Old 1st December 2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
LOL. Hey, my few dozen idn.ws ("WorldSite" so the sales pitch went) ... probably has a better chance :p
a few dozen? that's a few dozen more than i've got i always thought it stood for "Waste of Space" but I might have been mis-sold.
Old 1st December 2007, 01:48 PM

Quote:
a few dozen? that's a few dozen more than i've got i always thought it stood for "Waste of Space" but I might have been mis-sold.
I have a few I am going to hold onto with good keywords like computer.ws, golf.ws etc in a few languages etc.
Most I have are Japanese prefectures I reg'd during the .ws "frenzy" lol
Old 1st December 2007, 01:49 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Blimey, what a coincidence! We seem to have exactly the same number. :p
Old 1st December 2007, 02:09 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The lesson is as always: talk about what you know about

LOL, i vote this, best quote of the day. The guru trumphs the king and the emperor.
Old 1st December 2007, 02:22 PM

Asiaplay is an unknown quantity at this point

.asia most likely will take off once it offers / goes IDN.... as far as for use in Asia is concerned.

Until then it is just another .com / .net option to a large degree (good where ascii keywords have gone for other TLD and one has a strong Asian presence which they are not trying to hide... at last a chance to get a domain which makes more sense than Nuie or Cocos Keeling Islands!!!.

In my mind .asia IDN will be a secondary option to the .ccTLD option for IDNs (but .asia will definitely go IDN in the next couple of years) - so remark is misinformed and based on .asia being only ever ascii.
If it goes IDN.IDN fast, then it might be a better option than .com - wink (got to add something to stir up those .com lovers here - lol)

Perhaps Frank is correct in keeping to the playground he understands

Cheers - Asiaplay
Old 1st December 2007, 02:35 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation

Good luck with .Asia!

How much does .ASIA cost?
During the sunrise periods, DotAsia charges an non-refundable application fee to cover the verification expenses.

Application Fee: $100.00 (NON-REFUNDABLE)

http://www.moniker.com/dotasia/registration.jsp
Old 1st December 2007, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 261275
How much does .ASIA cost?
During the sunrise periods, DotAsia charges an non-refundable application fee to cover the verification expenses.
Application Fee: $100.00 (NON-REFUNDABLE)
http://www.moniker.com/dotasia/registration.jsp
I'd rather put my $100 on the spin of a roulette wheel.
Old 1st December 2007, 04:04 PM
Veteran

If it takes them two years to launch IDN.Asia, the domain will have gained a reputation as a non-starter and will never recover. You clearly know nothing about how this game works! If it was to have a chance in hell, which I don't think it had anyway, it needed to be launched into the IDN space. As it is, its launch is time to underline it irrelevance. They could not have cocked things up worse even if they had planned for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaplay
.asia most likely will take off once it offers / goes IDN.... as far as for use in Asia is concerned.

Until then it is just another .com / .net option to a large degree (good where ascii keywords have gone for other TLD and one has a strong Asian presence which they are not trying to hide... at last a chance to get a domain which makes more sense than Nuie or Cocos Keeling Islands!!!.

In my mind .asia IDN will be a secondary option to the .ccTLD option for IDNs (but .asia will definitely go IDN in the next couple of years) - so remark is misinformed and based on .asia being only ever ascii.
If it goes IDN.IDN fast, then it might be a better option than .com - wink (got to add something to stir up those .com lovers here - lol)

Perhaps Frank is correct in keeping to the playground he understands

Cheers - Asiaplay

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 1st December 2007 at 04:14 PM..