IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd December 2007, 04:05 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
IDNs "ain’t gonna happen on a large scale in our lifetimes"

Another persons perspective (by a reader of Frank Schoolers blog) under the thread "Why do Good Domains Cost so Much?"
I like the part where he says "IDNs are Doomed"

RESPONDING TO DAVE (Rubber Duck):
QUOTE:
What Dave Wrixon continually forgets is that the Unites States is the country that is the easiest to monetize. 10,000 United States eyeballs monetize better than 100 eyeballs in the places most IDN speculators play. IDN is all speculation, whereas much of dotcom is investment. If you don’t know the difference then your bankroll will eventually let you know.

How many IDN’s have ever been sold to an end-user who put up a functioning site? That is what eventually has to happen….ain’t gonna happen on a large scale in our lifetimes. How many American Schools require students to learn obscure languages from other countries? Not many, yet most other countries teach their children english. That is because it is the most powerful economic language in the world.

People in the United States spend money, and the Internet and dotcom are associated with this country more than any other.

Your IDN’s are a pipe dream, and if you live to be 1,000 yourself you will have to pump them every day. Very few people even understand domain names. There is a reason that most of the successfull people in the game have no interest in IDN’s.

Half the time you guys can’t even agree on what the name means…..and 99 percent of you have zero cultural experience in the countries you choose to invest in……typing names and trying to figure out what they mean in other languages is a laughable joke.

IDN’s are doomed. If they weren’t then you wouldn’t want anybody to know…you would just accumulate and be quiet. END QUOTE

http://www.sevenmile.com/2007-11/why.../#comment-5338
Old 3rd December 2007, 04:10 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm
Re: IDNs "ain’t gonna happen on a large scale in our lifetimes"

Screw the constant pumping, I'm still in acquisition mode.

Old 3rd December 2007, 04:39 PM

khurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to khurtsiya

He speaks something like "all people in the world should know English! ". lol
Old 3rd December 2007, 04:42 PM

zenmarketing is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the lesson can be summed up in his last four words: accumulate and be quiet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajiotaj
Yes, it's very sad.

Last edited by zenmarketing; 3rd December 2007 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 3rd December 2007, 04:54 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Does he sound like acro? Ehh, no...acro doesn't write that well does he? :o
Old 3rd December 2007, 04:56 PM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough

I love people like him. They sit and act like know-it-alls. You know, my opinion on life is if you don't know what the f*ck you're talking about, SHUT UP. This means if you have no experience with IDNS, you have no right to talk about it. After talking negatively about .mobi/ccTLDs in ASCII, I feel like I can. Why? Because I own some! These people sit and talk about IDNs like they know what the hell is going on. LMAO.

It's amazing how people go nuts over IDNs. He acts like there aren't fully functioning IDNs online right now. Eeck, end of rant. Gotta get to class.
Old 3rd December 2007, 05:20 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajiotaj
The reality is that 80% of the world does not speak English.
IDNs are not "required" for anyone to use...they just make the internet a more functional and easy to use resource for people that want to use them. Given the populations of places like Japan, China, Russia that is a huge audience.

I don't mind the naysayers, there will always be people that will be of that mindset. Same type of Luddite mentality as those that think the world is still flat. These kind of comments provide a reality check and validify the research many of us have put into understanding what has transpired over the past decade with IDN development and steps underway for implementation.
Old 3rd December 2007, 05:23 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

I agree with him. This constant pumping of IDNs is very annoying.
Old 3rd December 2007, 05:29 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

That would be OK coming from the ASCII mob if they actually practice what they preach.

Basically, it means shut up because you clashing with our sales pitch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmarketing
I think the lesson can be summed up in his last four words: accumulate and be quiet.

Yes, it's very sad.
Basically, Morons that cannot grasp why IDN are essential haven't fully understood what a domain name is or why it is valuable PERIOD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
The reality is that 80% of the world does not speak English.
IDNs are not "required" for anyone to use...they just make the internet a more functional and easy to use resource for people that want to use them. Given the populations of places like Japan, China, Russia that is a huge audience.

I don't mind the naysayers, there will always be people that will be of that mindset. Same type of Luddite mentality as those that think the world is still flat. These kind of comments provide a reality check and validify the research many of us have put into understanding what has transpired over the past decade with IDN development and steps underway for implementation.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 3rd December 2007 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 3rd December 2007, 05:40 PM

npcomplete is an unknown quantity at this point

While I am new to IDN, I am not new to markets and market psychology. I am the lone science geek in a business family, but one of the things I always heard was that you go to the market, you don't wait for the market to come to you... and second point is that if there is no market then build one. Assuming of course that the product or service you are offering is worthy of a market and has a future. Now it looks like there is an entire world full of buyers and users of IDN that *may* find the internet experience more enjoyable in their own natural language. I heard somewhere (feel free to correct me) that China has more graduating honors students than America has students. My guess is that these graduating honors students in China will have a computer in their future. So yeah, buy and hold.

Just more comments from the new guy,
Marc
Old 3rd December 2007, 05:48 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by npcomplete
My guess is that these graduating honors students in China will have a computer in their future.

I like this statement. :-)
Old 3rd December 2007, 05:48 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Last I heard was that they were producing 5 times as many IT graduates as the US. And I would guess that most of them are of a higher calibre. Chinese has some serious mathematical ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by npcomplete
While I am new to IDN, I am not new to markets and market psychology. I am the lone science geek in a business family, but one of the things I always heard was that you go to the market, you don't wait for the market to come to you... and second point is that if there is no market then build one. Assuming of course that the product or service you are offering is worthy of a market and has a future. Now it looks like there is an entire world full of buyers and users of IDN that *may* find the internet experience more enjoyable in their own natural language. I heard somewhere (feel free to correct me) that China has more graduating honors students than America has students. My guess is that these graduating honors students in China will have a computer in their future. So yeah, buy and hold.

Just more comments from the new guy,
Marc
Old 3rd December 2007, 06:00 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road

So, Dave, could you *please* quit pumping IDNs on Frank's blog? I'm finding it increasingly difficult to do fresh regs... Just leave those guys alone; they are not gonna buy your domains. Hell, they wouldn't buy china.com IDN for $1000 if you offered it to them.

Old 3rd December 2007, 06:02 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Old 3rd December 2007, 06:17 PM
Veteran

The Catholic Church banned the discussion of Heliocentrism for 141 years. Don't be so impatient!

and just to show I am not anti-papal:

There was an early suggestion among Dominicans that the teaching should be banned, but nothing came of it at the time. Some Protestants, however, voiced strong opinions during the 16th century. Martin Luther once said:

"There is talk of a new astrologer who wants to prove that the earth moves and goes around instead of the sky, the sun, the moon, just as if somebody were moving in a carriage or ship might hold that he was sitting still and at rest while the earth and the trees walked and moved. But that is how things are nowadays: when a man wishes to be clever he must . . . invent something special, and the way he does it must needs be the best! The fool wants to turn the whole art of astronomy upside-down. However, as Holy Scripture tells us, so did Joshua bid the sun to stand still and not the earth."

This was reported in the context of dinner-table conversation and not a formal statement of faith. Melanchthon, however, opposed the doctrine over a period of years.

A famous quotation, often mis-attributed to John Calvin, reads:

"Who will venture to place the authority of Copernicus above that of the Holy Spirit?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
So, Dave, could you *please* quit pumping IDNs on Frank's blog? I'm finding it increasingly difficult to do fresh regs... Just leave those guys alone; they are not gonna buy your domains. Hell, they wouldn't buy china.com IDN for $1000 if you offered it to them.

Old 3rd December 2007, 06:28 PM

We would best serve ourselves by working on Firefox and ICANN, not Frank's wannabes.

Waste not, want not.

Old 3rd December 2007, 06:32 PM

alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough

Does that Pete actually have his head up his a** 24 hours aday ?? I am just asking as he was talking complete sh*t in that post.

I made a reply there myself - hope it passes the moderation phase.

ALex

Old 3rd December 2007, 06:34 PM
Veteran

Mozilla is not going to respond to us, and frankly ICANN will do what it does regardless. Why get excited.

If I want to entertain myself by getting abused on there rather than just here then that is my affair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
We would best serve ourselves by working on Firefox and ICANN, not Frank's wannabes.

Waste not, want not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexd
Does that Pete actually have his head up his a** 24 hours aday ?? I am just asking as he was talking complete sh*t in that post.

I made a reply there myself - hope it passes the moderation phase.

ALex
I think he probably likes the taste!

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 3rd December 2007 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 3rd December 2007, 07:02 PM

zenmarketing is an unknown quantity at this point

I think a lot of people outside America have a belief that the average American (like the one being referenced in this thread) is stupid.

It's not exactly the case.

It's more like a child who has never been let out of the house.

They don't know what's out there.

American media is *extremely* closed off to the rest of the world. To many Americans, America *is* the world.
Old 3rd December 2007, 07:34 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmarketing
American media is *extremely* closed off to the rest of the world. To many Americans, America *is* the world.

I think that's also the case with a lot of countries where media is influenced, not just America. But in this internet age, a simple research will reveal a lot more about other countries and cultures.

if anyone is keen to see the world, you can take a look at this forum - skyscrapercity.com. You can find photos, comments and opinion of people frmo dozens of countries.