IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Name News

Internationalized Domain Name News Recent IDN related News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th March 2006, 10:53 PM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: ICANN Announces Timeline for Development of a Project for the Technical Test of I

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammascalper
So, implementation is easy, but roll-out and general acceptance may be a steeper slope to climb.

I *think* I can sleep a little better.
What makes me sleep better is knowledge that with all different outcomes and possibilities, Verisign is in my corner. As sleezy and greedy as they are, it's great to be on the same side with them for a change. Maybe I could relax and wait for them to fight for my .coms..:-)
Old 16th March 2006, 11:27 PM

Clotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enough
Re: ICANN Announces Timeline for Development of a Project for the Technical Test of I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer
What makes me sleep better is knowledge that with all different outcomes and possibilities, Verisign is in my corner. As sleezy and greedy as they are, it's great to be on the same side with them for a change. Maybe I could relax and wait for them to fight for my .coms..:-)
I won't know for certain that Verisign is in my corner until an IDN.IDN solution is established and I am happy with the outcome. The only people with something to gain from the NS proposal are the registrars that would be able to charge people yet again for more names. The fact that Verisign is a registrar and was also the ones to propose DNAME is a positive thing. It tells me that they understand the absolute necessity of keeping their brand consistent. Being able to charge money for more extensions may appear desirable from the registrars’ point of view in the short term, but it would prove disastrous if people lost faith in the brand and stopped using it due to confusion in the long run.
Old 16th March 2006, 11:37 PM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clotho
I won't know for certain that Verisign is in my corner until an IDN.IDN solution is established and I am happy with the outcome. The only people with something to gain from the NS proposal are the registrars that would be able to charge people yet again for more names. The fact that Verisign is a registrar and was also the ones to propose DNAME is a positive thing. It tells me that they understand the absolute necessity of keeping their brand consistent. Being able to charge money for more extensions may appear desirable from the registrars’ point of view in the short term, but it would prove disastrous if people lost faith in the brand and stopped using it due to confusion in the long run.
Trust me, Verisign is in your corner. They will be jumping up and down like the rest of us when DNAME will get implemented and will be pushing and lobbying for it.

DNAME gets implemented - IDN.IDN will become IDN.com. IDN.com will be paying a $6 or so to Verisign per year.

Another words - for every IDN.IDN registered anywhere, Verisign will get $6 or so a year.

This, of course, applies only to .coms and .nets.

Who do you think came up with the DNAME solution in the first place and why? :-)
Old 16th March 2006, 11:40 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer
Trust me, Verisign is in your corner. They will be jumping up and down like the rest of us when DNAME will get implemented and will be pushing and lobbying for it.

DNAME gets implemented - IDN.IDN will become IDN.com. IDN.com will be paying a $6 or so to Verisign per year.

Another words - for every IDN.IDN registered anywhere, Verisign will get $6 or so a year.

This, of course, applies only to .coms and .nets.

Who do you think came up with the DNAME solution in the first place and why? :-)
This is correct! No matter what, Verisign is not going to screw themselves.

Maybe I'll just go join the group that is crying over the possibility of $12 .com in the next few years. Oh wait a second no I won't. I'm going to be flippin' rich!
Old 16th March 2006, 11:58 PM

Clotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcle
This is correct! No matter what, Verisign is not going to screw themselves.

Maybe I'll just go join the group that is crying over the possibility of $12 .com in the next few years. Oh wait a second no I won't. I'm going to be flippin' rich!
If I understand everything correctly DNAME does seem to be the best solution for the Internet as a whole.

It doesn't change anything in the root servers. (Desirable from a technical point of view.) I hope I understand this correctly or at least it isn't as invasive as NS.

It preserves the integrity of existing .TLD brands. (Desirable from an end users point of view and by the owners of said brands.)

I do think that it is good that ICANN are looking at more than one solution. It is their mandate to be objective and determine what is best for the Internet as a whole. If they just implemented DNAME without any other consideration certain interests would be obliged to call foul and rightly so. This would only impede any solutions implementation.
Old 17th March 2006, 12:04 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy
Re: ICANN Announces Timeline for Development of a Project for the Technical Test of Inter

Quote:
> Incorrect!* Verisign may OPERATE the root servers, but they cannot just go bunging in DNAME mappings in there. ICANN/DOC have management rights. Verisign might want to suggest the mappings that it wants to provide for com/net/bz/tv etc, but ultimately ICANN/DOC gets to say which ones go in.

I wasn't suggesting that Verisign would apply their own DNAME mapping overtop of any NS solution if implemented.
You implied that if DNAME was implemented Verisign could choose whatever mappings they wanted. Patently incorrect.

Quote:
What I was suggesting is that they would be in a position to provide the owners of existing IDN.com names with names in the .IDN equivalent of .com
IF they get awarded an IDN .gTLD.

Quote:
Say for example that the NS proposal is adopted and a new domain extension .コム is created in the root. (a form of .com in Japanese). Do you think with all the talk about trademarks at ICANN that anyone but Verisign would be allowed to operate such an extension? It would be Verisign's extension and under the NS proposal it would operate separately from IDN.com.
Rubbish. .com extension is the property of the USG via Doc. Verisign MANAGES .com by contract. They have ZERO TM rights.

I say again if DNAME is approved, ICANN/DOC decide the mappings, not Verisign.

If a seperate IDN gTLD is approved and Verisign gets management rights, I don't think EVEN THEN they can do mapping to .com from it without approval from ICANN.

Quote:
Since Verisign operates this extension it would be within their power to provide all the existing owners of Japanese IDN.com with the same domains in IDN.コム.
Well they could psuedo map it by assigning registrations of the .IDNgTLD names to the owner of the corresponding .com, but where's the beef for them if they do that? Running 2 TLD registries and making the same amount as they were with 1? Yeah, THAT's going to go down well with the stockholders.

If Verisign won management rights to a new IDNgTLD and wanted to map it to .com, I think they'd offer .com and .net holders the first come first served rights to the same 2LD in that gTLD but it wouldn't be for free!

Quote:
Why would they do this? To avoid confusion on a number of levels. If Japanese IDN.com doesn't resolve to the same site as IDN.コム the .com brand is diluted and users will lose faith in it. There is nothing that says that they have to do it but I believe it would be in their own best interests to do so.
Still too messy. Verisign will lobby for DNAME for com/net because it's simply a small technical upgrade to the root servers and it's done and their potential customer base explodes overnight.

New IDNgTLD's will probably be like .mobi, .pro. etc - boutique with little demand. The big deals will be DNAMED com/net and DNAMED ccTLD's.

>I do think that it is good that ICANN are looking at more than one solution. It is their
>mandate to be objective and determine what is best for the Internet as a whole

They are solutions to 2 different problems.

1. The ability to access existing interent content without having to use latin characters to get to it. - DNAME cures this problem.

2. The ability to define new TLD's without having to use latin characters to do so - punycode in the root zone cures this problem.

One isn't better than the other overall. Both have their uses. I can see no technical reason why both can't be chosen, either at the same time, or on different time scales.

Last edited by Drewbert; 17th March 2006 at 12:12 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 17th March 2006, 12:18 AM

OldIDNer is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: ICANN Announces Timeline for Development of a Project for the Technical Test of Inter

well, will be interesting to watch

Last edited by OldIDNer; 17th March 2006 at 12:52 AM..
Old 17th March 2006, 02:09 AM

hanidn is on a distinguished roadhanidn is on a distinguished roadhanidn is on a distinguished roadhanidn is on a distinguished roadhanidn is on a distinguished roadhanidn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldIDNer
well, will be interesting to watch

In April, ICANN will release a project description for the technical test. For the month of April, the test plan will be open for public consultation.
In May, the committee will amend the plan in response to relevant replies from the public and submit the project to the ICANN board for approval.
The board is expected to give its approval for the project no later than the ICANN meeting in Marrakesh in late June.
The IDN implementation test is expected to launch in July 2006.