View Single Post
Old 3rd February 2010, 09:57 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough
Re: .cn vs .com (changes in China)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phio View Post
Looks like a shift is now taking place, perhaps spurring the need for verisign to alias .com's for China.

"China's tighter regulation of internet domain names is driving website owners to register overseas, according to industry sources and internet activists.

"We are seeing people starting to bypass domestic domain names," said Song Yingqiao, vice-president at HiChina, a leading web registrar. "Twenty to 30 per cent of new customers are now going for .com instead of .cn domain names."

Industry experts said the trend was triggered by swift implementation of a stricter website registration regime.

The ministry of industry and information technology reiterated in December that domain names must be registered with the government, and those that were not would "not be resolved or transferred". Regulators also put up bureaucratic hurdles before individuals setting up websites.

Chinese telecom operators and web-hosting companies said they were scanning internet traffic on request of the government and that large numbers of domain names that had not registered with the ministry had in effect been switched off.

Angry responses manifested themselves last week when a government website in the southern province of Hunan was hacked into. It displayed a message saying: "I've had enough - I've tried to register my website for several months.""

Full Article from FT, source: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/4b7d649c-0...nclick_check=1

Does that mean that 60/70% still go for .cn?