IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 16th March 2006, 05:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,320
iTrader: (2)
Rep Power: 1437
IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy
Who here are getting .jp domains?

Anyone?
__________________
$995/mo drop lists available.. will be hand delivered by a playboy bunny
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 16th March 2006, 05:18 PM
rhys's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,043
iTrader: (25)
Rep Power: 705
rhys is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Who here are getting .jp domains?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
Anyone?
Why do you ask? Not that I'm regging any
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 16th March 2006, 05:25 PM
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: On the Road
Posts: 2,276
iTrader: (50)
Rep Power: 1221
thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive
Re: Who here are getting .jp domains?

I'm not. Partially because most of the good .jp are gone and partially because they don't sell them at Domainsite. I'd have to do specific searches for only Japanese names. I usually go for multi-lingual searches.

I have been getting a few .cn though. Just a few.
__________________
IDN? What's an IDN?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 16th March 2006, 05:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,320
iTrader: (2)
Rep Power: 1437
IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy
Re: Who here are getting .jp domains?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive
I'm not. Partially because most of the good .jp are gone and partially because they don't sell them at Domainsite. I'd have to do specific searches for only Japanese names. I usually go for multi-lingual searches.

I have been getting a few .cn though. Just a few.
all the good .com's are gone as they are cheaper
lots of nice .jp jems around
__________________
$995/mo drop lists available.. will be hand delivered by a playboy bunny
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 16th March 2006, 05:32 PM
rhys's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,043
iTrader: (25)
Rep Power: 705
rhys is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Who here are getting .jp domains?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive
I'm not. Partially because most of the good .jp are gone and partially because they don't sell them at Domainsite. I'd have to do specific searches for only Japanese names. I usually go for multi-lingual searches.

I have been getting a few .cn though. Just a few.
There is definitely better pickings on .jp than .com if you are into Japanese IDN. Your criteria have to be adjusted for the increased annual cost but as I have mentioned before, I think that .jp will be the primary extension for Japan followed by .com and .net so every collector ought to have some .jp in their portfolio. It's like only buying stocks listed on the NYSE shunning the Nasdaq.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 16th March 2006, 05:35 PM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 7,495
iTrader: (65)
Rep Power: 2679
blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
Re: Who here are getting .jp domains?

Yes. Lots.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 16th March 2006, 05:35 PM
rhys's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,043
iTrader: (25)
Rep Power: 705
rhys is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Who here are getting .jp domains?

The thing I don't understand is why so many Japanese .cn are taken! Obviously I get it when they are regging a Chinese keyword. But who in their right mind regs a katakana or hiragana .cn domain? .cn will never catch on in Japan.

Can anyone offer some insight here?
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 16th March 2006, 05:38 PM
thegenius1's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: IDNaffiliates.com - IDNebook.com
Posts: 3,928
iTrader: (38)
Rep Power: 979
thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1
Re: Who here are getting .jp domains?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
The thing I don't understand is why so many Japanese .cn are taken! Obviously I get it when they are regging a Chinese keyword. But who in their right mind regs a katakana or hiragana .cn domain? .cn will never catch on in Japan.

Can anyone offer some insight here?
If im not mistaken ryhs that is just a mistake @ domainsite, i dont believe they have it setup correct, throw a different language in there and you will most likley see it taken in .cn as well
__________________
ウェブサイト.com
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 16th March 2006, 05:39 PM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,699
iTrader: (50)
Rep Power: 1248
gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road
Re: Who here are getting .jp domains?

It's not possible to register Hiragana and Katakana .cn. It seems to be blocked at the registrar level.

I've got .com to .jp in about a 9:1 ratio -- I can already feel the heat from upcoming renewals and will let the less-than-stellar drop.
__________________
-----
Offers by e-mail, PM or forum post valid for 5 days
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 16th March 2006, 06:31 PM
Clotho's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 765
iTrader: (20)
Rep Power: 1458
Clotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enough
Re: Who here are getting .jp domains?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
There is definitely better pickings on .jp than .com if you are into Japanese IDN. Your criteria have to be adjusted for the increased annual cost but as I have mentioned before, I think that .jp will be the primary extension for Japan followed by .com and .net so every collector ought to have some .jp in their portfolio. It's like only buying stocks listed on the NYSE shunning the Nasdaq.
I really like .jp and your enthusiasm for it as a native speaker gives me much hope for it as well. Unfortunately in my own portfolio and in others they just don't seem to generate the traffic that .com does. Consistently they have been getting less traffic even when filtered for Asian traffic etc. While I like your argument as to why .jp will be the dominant extension the empirical data is arguing against it. Therefore I find myself undecided.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 16th March 2006, 06:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,320
iTrader: (2)
Rep Power: 1437
IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy
Re: Who here are getting .jp domains?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clotho
I really like .jp and your enthusiasm for it as a native speaker gives me much hope for it as well. Unfortunately in my own portfolio and in others they just don't seem to generate the traffic that .com does. Consistently they have been getting less traffic even when filtered for Asian traffic etc. While I like your argument as to why .jp will be the dominant extension the empirical data is arguing against it. Therefore I find myself undecided.
you think .jp is worthless then?
__________________
$995/mo drop lists available.. will be hand delivered by a playboy bunny
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 16th March 2006, 07:15 PM
Clotho's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 765
iTrader: (20)
Rep Power: 1458
Clotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enough
Re: Who here are getting .jp domains?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
you think .jp is worthless then?
If you read my post it says I really like .jp in the first line. I like the arguments presented for it being the dominant extension. I like the fact that those arguments are presented by native speakers of Japanese. I own some terms with all the extensions. .jp .net and .com. The .com versions have been outperforming the other two in terms of traffic, significantly. I didn't say that .jp wasn't getting any traffic. It is just is alot less than the .com. I have seen others report similar findings.

So this leaves me wondering. Is it the terms I have chosen? Is it the way I am measuring traffic? Is it something else? Or is .com simply the more popular brand in Japan? I don't think .jp is worthless. I just don't know how popular it will be.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 16th March 2006, 07:29 PM
rhys's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,043
iTrader: (25)
Rep Power: 705
rhys is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Who here are getting .jp domains?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clotho
If you read my post it says I really like .jp in the first line. I like the arguments presented for it being the dominant extension. I like the fact that those arguments are presented by native speakers of Japanese. I own some terms with all the extensions. .jp .net and .com. The .com versions have been outperforming the other two in terms of traffic, significantly. I didn't say that .jp wasn't getting any traffic. It is just is alot less than the .com. I have seen others report similar findings.

So this leaves me wondering. Is it the terms I have chosen? Is it the way I am measuring traffic? Is it something else? Or is .com simply the more popular brand in Japan? I don't think .jp is worthless. I just don't know how popular it will be.
I know what you mean about traffic. It's almost like religion isn't it. You have to take a leap of faith. Ironically, I'm an atheist, but I believe in .jp

Maybe that should be my tag line: "Buy .JP, a better bet than God". No offense to the religious among us, it's just me.

Basically, I look at it this way - the traffic that my .com IDNs generate today is all from North America, every now and then I get one from Asia and I assume its just Olney following the whois trail. No way is this traffic related to the actual keyword, it's speculators and so in that sense IT'S BULLSHIT TRAFFIC. I have CTR of between 10-13% on this traffic because the keywords I put in are all relevant to domain name buyers. If there wasn't the speculator traffic, both .com and .jp would be silent right now. In that sense, I feel that current traffic tells us almost nothing about the future superiority of domain extensions.

When real traffic starts to happen, it will start suddenly and amaze us all. Keep the faith!
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 16th March 2006, 07:36 PM
Clotho's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 765
iTrader: (20)
Rep Power: 1458
Clotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enough
Re: Who here are getting .jp domains?

Naw, I wish it was that simple. I tried filtering out the traffic that I think is just speculator traffic etc. The problem is with the people clicking and typing in search terms in the search bar on the parking page. Even if I eliminate all the rest and just keep the traffic from Asia that I think is real. .com still outperforms. It is still pretty early in the game however. I have enough traffic to play with some decent numbers but we really won't know the truth until everyone has real access via IE 7.

In short. If you find what you think is a good term in .jp you should go for it! All extensions .jp .com and .net have value. We just don't know how that will be in relation to each other yet.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 16th March 2006, 07:43 PM
rhys's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,043
iTrader: (25)
Rep Power: 705
rhys is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Who here are getting .jp domains?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clotho
Naw, I wish it was that simple. I tried filtering out the traffic that I think is just speculator traffic etc. The problem is with the people clicking and typing in search terms in the search bar on the parking page. Even if I eliminate all the rest and just keep the traffic from Asia that I think is real. .com still outperforms. It is still pretty early in the game however. I have enough traffic to play with some decent numbers but we really won't know the truth until everyone has real access via IE 7.

In short. If you find what you think is a good term in .jp you should go for it! All extensions .jp .com and .net have value. We just don't know how that will be in relation to each other yet.
How do you filter out speculator traffic from non Clotho? Lots of speculators in Asia too. None of my sites with actual keywords related to the domain perform except the adult ones. While most of my sites with domaining related keywords register a couple of click-throughs a month. The only exception are the sex deprived freaks who continue to hit my escort directory service from their cellphone (judging by the browser), but I'm not trying to monetize that yet, it's free while I tinker around with the UI.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 16th March 2006, 09:41 PM
Olney's Avatar
A.W.O.L
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 2,747
iTrader: (13)
Rep Power: 0
Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Re: Who here are getting .jp domains?

I haven't read you everything written but half my portfolio is dot jp & half dot com
__________________
テスト中: ベリーダンス : Japan SEM : カードローン
LosAngeles.jp (Not an IDN, yeah I do those too)
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 16th March 2006, 09:48 PM
Clotho's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 765
iTrader: (20)
Rep Power: 1458
Clotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enough
Re: Who here are getting .jp domains?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
How do you filter out speculator traffic from non Clotho? Lots of speculators in Asia too. None of my sites with actual keywords related to the domain perform except the adult ones. While most of my sites with domaining related keywords register a couple of click-throughs a month. The only exception are the sex deprived freaks who continue to hit my escort directory service from their cellphone (judging by the browser), but I'm not trying to monetize that yet, it's free while I tinker around with the UI.
It's pretty easy actually. Namedrive provides you with information at the bottom of the settings screen that tells you what terms people have typed into the search box on the parking page. This coupled with the fact that speculators don't click on ads gives me a pretty good idea as to what is legitimate traffic and what is from the speculators.

The escort site you mentioned sounds pretty interesting. I would consider hits from a mobile phone browser legitimate. Is it a .jp domain?
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 29th June 2006, 10:42 AM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 7,495
iTrader: (65)
Rep Power: 2679
blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
Re: Who here are getting .jp domains?

I think the reason for the current supremacy of .com is that it is the default in the Opera and other non-IE browsers when you press return after typing in.

Since very few IE users are visiting sites, we get mostly traffic from Opera and Safari, and KDE to a lesser extent.

That means that a lot of the traffic is due to people entering a keyword and pressing return.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 29th June 2006, 11:14 AM
seamo's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: SA, Australia
Posts: 1,216
iTrader: (24)
Rep Power: 619
seamo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Who here are getting .jp domains?

Well, I blew a lot of money on .jp's before I knew what a decent domain registration is - and I mean a lot of money (ouch!) :o

The only .jp I have that cosistently gets hits is not even an IDN.jp - it's tvip.jp

This month, according to Namedrive stats, I have had 97 hits, with 85 of them from Asia, and only one single click.

It's got me beat...but I'll probably hold onto this one if nothing else.

If only I could convert those visits to clicks...
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 29th June 2006, 11:19 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 183
iTrader: (0)
Rep Power: 0
idn1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Who here are getting .jp domains?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
I haven't read you everything written but half my portfolio is dot jp & half dot com
I think if you are not totally against '.com' (for IDN)
then Olney's strategy of half-and-half is a good one
to adopt.

I have some idn.jp's and feel they will 'make good'
within the next year. Yes, '.jp' are more expensive
than '.com' but I don't think that is a real consideration
if you are of the opinion that '.jp' will eventually be
worth more...

Regards
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 12:56 AM.

Site Sponsors
Your ad here
buy t-shirt
מחיר הזהב

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0
Copyright idnforums.com 2005

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54