IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th December 2007, 07:10 PM

DomainDialect is an unknown quantity at this point
What may have been- One idea

So let's say the internet domain names started out as xxx.1, xxx.2 and so on. xxx.1 could be the now xxx.com, xxx.2 the now xxx.net, etc. IDNs could have popped in anytime with ддд.1 (Russian) for example. The extension could have been the same all over the world. All keyboards would be required to have the numerals 0-9. Countries/languages that already used the 0-9 numeral set would have an advantage but others would learn quickly. That would eliminate the .es, .jp, .cn and so on. I know it's too late but could this have worked? Am I talking nonsense? Comments, please.
Old 16th December 2007, 07:16 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation
Re: What may have been- One idea

What was Brasil again? 153? or 29?
People need identity...that's a basic
Old 16th December 2007, 07:22 PM

tee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enough

keep in mind each extension was suppose to convey/show what type of organization was using the website, I believe initially the thought was .net would be preferred and carried a higher regged fee, developers and companies swarmed to .com, for one it was cheaper, they built websites on .com, branded .com. Users looking for content found it on .com, browsers defaulted to .com, hence .com rules today, .com is recognized worldwide.

anything is possible but what would .1 convey as meaning to the user, I realize the extension may not convey much meaning today to some since anyone can register a .com/.org/.net , but I think to some users it conveys quite alot, even trust in some cases, such as .co.uk or .co.jp. In those cases .uk, cn. .jp users also know they are getting content and apps developed for them. I think IDN.IDN will convey meaning to endusers in their language, but I believe (IMO) .com already conveys meaning. If .biz, .info, ect are ever mapped to IDN.IDN then they may convey meaning as well.

Just my opinion, but what we have today is due to folks developing and branding their websites, whether .com, .jp, .cn, .ru ect. JMO

tee1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomainDialect
So let's say the internet domain names started out as xxx.1, xxx.2 and so on. xxx.1 could be the now xxx.com, xxx.2 the now xxx.net, etc. IDNs could have popped in anytime with ддд.1 (Russian) for example. The extension could have been the same all over the world. All keyboards would be required to have the numerals 0-9. Countries/languages that already used the 0-9 numeral set would have an advantage but others would learn quickly. That would eliminate the .es, .jp, .cn and so on. I know it's too late but could this have worked? Am I talking nonsense? Comments, please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 261275
oh ya I want to be #1. you can be #2, but think what you could do with .69

tee1

Last edited by tee1; 16th December 2007 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 16th December 2007, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 261275
What I meant was each language could have a .1, .2, etc. Whether it is Russian, Japanese, Chinese...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee1
keep in mind each extension was suppose to convey/show what type of organization was using the website, I believe initially the thought was .net would be preferred and carried a higher regged fee, developers and companies swarmed to .com, for one it was cheaper, they built websites on .com, branded .com. Users looking for content found it on .com, browsers defaulted to .com, hence .com rules today, .com is recognized worldwide.

anything is possible but what would .1 convey as meaning to the user, I realize the extension may not convey much meaning today to some since anyone can register a .com/.org/.net , but I think to some users it conveys quite alot, even trust in some cases, such as .co.uk or .co.jp. In those cases .uk, cn. .jp users also know they are getting content and apps developed for them. I think IDN.IDN will convey meaning to endusers in their language, but I believe (IMO) .com already conveys meaning. If .biz, .info, ect are ever mapped to IDN.IDN then they may convey meaning as well.

Just my opinion, but what we have today is due to folks developing and branding their websites, whether .com, .jp, .cn, .ru ect. JMO

tee1

oh ya I want to be #1. you can be #2, but think what you could do with .69

tee1
Actually my thought was mountain.com would have been mountain.1 in ASCII, mountain.net would have been mountain.2, etc.. núi.com (mountain in Vietnamese) would have been núi.1, núi.net would have been núi.2 and so on.

Last edited by DomainDialect; 16th December 2007 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 16th December 2007, 07:51 PM

Noemi is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks a bit spammy, but if it was always like that I mightve liked it more.

What would country codes be like?

Domain.es.1
or domain.34.1
or domain.34
Old 16th December 2007, 08:07 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Yes.
Old 16th December 2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Yes.
Yes it could have worked or yes I'm talking nonsense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noemi
Looks a bit spammy, but if it was always like that I mightve liked it more.

What would country codes be like?

Domain.es.1
or domain.34.1
or domain.34
I guess I'm thinking languages, not countries. They'd all have .1 thru .3 (let's say .com=.1, .net=.2, .org=.3, etc.) and could add more extension dots as needed such as we've done with .ws, .tv, etc.

Last edited by DomainDialect; 16th December 2007 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 16th December 2007, 08:34 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Yes it could have worked or yes I'm talking nonsense?

I guess I'm thinking languages, not countries. They'd all have .1 thru .3 (let's say .com=.1, .net=.2, .org=.3, etc.) and could add more extension dots as needed such as we've done with .ws, .tv, etc.
Yes, you are talking nonsense.