IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th March 2006, 03:27 AM

idnceo is an unknown quantity at this point
IDN.jp registered by government or X company, do u take the IDN.com?

As i do list of available domains and i check a lot the whois to see the registrant and expiration of important extensions if taken, I was seeing some IDNs that the registrant in .jp is the japanese government or a japanese company but they leave the .com available, do u register it? My guess is that if they registered the .jp 3, 2 years ago -or even this year as some cases-, and they didnt register the .com it means they didnt care for the .com, so can i take it? any problem?

Honestly i ve been doing it, but i still wonder why with all the money some companies have or government or prefectures have promoting X thing, they just registered the IDN.jp and not the IDN.com, after all it is not that they didnt know about IDNs, because after all they registered the IDN for .jp for that domain? I understand the government reserved prefectures in .jp , etc but even some companies with or without governmental support they just took the .jp -in one case they registered the idn.jp just last february but they again left the .com available Why? Is this a trap?
Im not taking specific names like keio, sony, etc but general terms but that they still tend to refer to a X company or governmental body, they are generic, so why why they didnt register the .com?

Last edited by idnceo; 17th March 2006 at 03:35 AM..
Old 17th March 2006, 03:34 AM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy
Re: IDN.jp registered by government or X company, do u take the IDN.com?

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnceo
As i do list of available domains and i check a lot the whois to see the registrant and expiration of important extensions if taken, I was seeing some IDNs that the registrant in .jp is the japanese government or a japanese company but they leave the .com available, do u register it? My guess is that if they registered the .jp 3, 2 years ago -or even this year as some cases-, and they didnt register the .com it means they didnt care for the .com, so can i take it? any problem?

Honestly i ve been doing it, but i still wonder why with all the money some companies have or government or prefectures have promoting X thing, they just registered the IDN.jp and not the IDN.com, after all it is not that they didnt know about IDNs, because after all they registered the IDN for .jp for that domain? I understand the government reserved prefectures in .jp , etc but even some companies with or without governmental support they just took the .jp -in one case they registered the idn.jp just last february but they again left the .com available Why?
When I asked someone else before this was the response:

Some companies believe in the rule that if you're going to market just to japanese customers get the .jp

To some companies a .com seems foreign

Some customers have trust in the company if they use a .jp (local) over a .com (foreign) (whether this is true who knows)
Old 17th March 2006, 03:34 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

It's just a matter of what it is.
I realize I was lucky to find a drop like 派遣.com (Job Placement) which is reserved by the government for the jp
There's also a few little places that might be available too.
I would not recommend just registering everything but do check to see what it is.
Old 17th March 2006, 03:40 AM

i have seen many, well i have already a list of over 10.000 domains -taken or available in X extensions- that i add to my list for reason or another. But if you see some domains for tourism, travel, work, etc. some companies or the government only registered the .jp . And i m not saying 5 years ago, some cases as i said even this year, they registered the IDN.jp but they left the .com available. My worry if it is a trap, like saying why to register it after all people know is mine. Check tourism, travel, etc, etc. if you know good japanese, you will many cases like this. jp taken but .com was left available by the company that uses a generic name or the government.
Old 17th March 2006, 03:43 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
When I asked someone else before this was the response:

Some companies believe in the rule that if you're going to market just to japanese customers get the .jp

To some companies a .com seems foreign

Some customers have trust in the company if they use a .jp (local) over a .com (foreign) (whether this is true who knows)
I would be one to disagree. There number one reason why jp is popular is because all the dot coms that were short were registered already. Plenty of companies use dot coms if available. With IDNs until we came it was still a wide open market but companies can & will use both.

The Japan Registry will only promote dot jp IDNs because they make a profit from it. The independent domain sites promote all.

We can't make a judgment until they are in full use.
Old 17th March 2006, 03:57 AM

okay, being more specific, imagine this you see "visit hokkaido" and u know this is the slogan for Hokkaido prefecture government to promote tourism to Sapporo, etc. It is generic but they still only took the IDN.jp and not the .com why? Same cases imagine there is a company called "visit hokkaido" but again they only registered the .jp and not the .com even with such generic name, why i still dont get it. Even if everyone know "visit hokkaido" refers to a company, it is still so generic. why did they only worry to register the IDN.jp this year and not the IDN.com ?
Old 17th March 2006, 03:59 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

If they're truly generic, what are you worried about?
Old 17th March 2006, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
If they're truly generic, what are you worried about?
because i found it so strange, they only registered the .jp , cmon money they have. the question is why many people do so? a trap? for instance, google doenst have to register google.de to know they can claim is their name. So thats why im saying if this .jp takers will come for the .com Anyway im doing it, but i was wondering if you guys do it too, and it seems so.