IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th December 2007, 01:49 AM

Steve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enough
Good Russian Click

Had a good click the other day on a Russian entertainment related domain $3.05

A few more like this, and were in business.

US$ 3.05 1 1 % 100.00
Old 18th December 2007, 01:56 AM

tee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enough
Re: Good Russian Click

congrats, maybe theres more where that came from.

tee1
Old 18th December 2007, 02:17 AM

DomainDialect is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clarke

US$ 3.05 1 1 % 100.00
Nice! Congratulations.
Old 18th December 2007, 02:22 AM

burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been getting some good RPC on Russian in the last few months, too.

Thanks for letting the cat out of the bag, Steve!

Old 18th December 2007, 02:42 AM

Location: Global Headquarters of the Dot Net Skepticism Alliance
idn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clarke

US$ 3.05 1 1 % 100.00

ND?
Old 18th December 2007, 02:45 AM

tee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsinternet
I have been getting some good RPC on Russian in the last few months, too.
Thanks for letting the cat out of the bag, Steve!

Russian has been good to me as well, but not that good:o . I only get .10 clicks.

tee1
Old 18th December 2007, 02:49 AM

Steve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enough

Yes, At Namedrive......of course I've had plenty of 4 cent clicks to go with it.

2nd best this month...a Greek name $1.65 Click
Old 18th December 2007, 02:55 AM

I was just messin' with you Steve. You have too many good IDNs! I am jealous.

However, I do get some decent clicks at ND on Russian & Ukraine IDNs. Many are in the mid to high .xx and some at x.xx. Japanese and Swedish, on average, are much, much higher. Japanese is too rare, though. I can count on Swedish for good, regular CTR. Russian has such high traffic that the clicks higher than .05 is just icing on the cake.
Old 18th December 2007, 03:09 AM

Location: Global Headquarters of the Dot Net Skepticism Alliance
idn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished road

I think you guys must know Ed REALLY well to be getting such clicks. My Russians hang out with the Romanians at Name Drive.
Old 18th December 2007, 03:26 AM

I wish I had a few more decent Japanese domains, Gerald...but I started too late too grab the real good ones...plus I had trouble with translating them.
I've seen your name on a number of names as well, that I was going to click the Paypal button on.

I think the only reason I feel I have some pretty good domains now...is I haven't stopped regging for over 1 1/2 years now.
I've dropped more than my share of mistakes, along the way, but through it all I have started to understand the different languages...at least a little bit.

I don't know how many times I was going to stop regging and sit on what I had...but a couple days later there I was, regging more names again!

Funny thing is, I've regged some better names just recently.

I used to go to Namepros, Domainstate, DNForum every day...but now I rarely ever check them out.
Unless of course I want to sell an ascii domain to help fund IDN renewals.

I remember seeing a real funny thread last year on here entitled "You know your an IDNer when..." posted.
I remember saying to myself...YEP, Thats me!
Old 18th December 2007, 03:50 AM

OMG! You had no idea, but you just described me, Steve! I have told many a friend that I was going to stop regging. Then I find a big bunch of IDNs (old drops, fresh regs) and go regging again.

I have some excellent (lucky) domains that are, say 2 years old, but I think that I am much better at picking them out now. Too bad most good ones are already regged. If I knew then what I know now.... You'd be in big trouble, fellow IDNers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idn
I think you guys must know Ed REALLY well to be getting such clicks. My Russians hang out with the Romanians at Name Drive.
I think I went after Russian earlier than you did. Maybe that's it? You were IDNing seriously before I got into the game. My oldest IDN is circa 2004, but I didn't get serious until Jan 2006.

I started going after Russian in late 2005 and early 2006 while the rest of this forum was abuzz about Japanese. Very little else was discussed back then. Top Latin dot coms were pretty much mined. Japanese was getting stripmined. At least Russian was a legitimate place to target.

Anyway, I KNOW what your portfolio looks like and I am certainly not crying for you, Mark!

Jerry

Last edited by burnsinternet; 18th December 2007 at 04:00 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 18th December 2007, 04:24 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I think I went after Russian earlier than you did. Maybe that's it? You were IDNing seriously before I got into the game. My oldest IDN is circa 2004, but I didn't get serious until Jan 2006.

Wow, 2004!
Old 18th December 2007, 04:31 AM

I would trade that for some of your 2005 regs! :p

If I knew then what I know now...
Old 18th December 2007, 04:37 AM
Veteran

Quote:
I would trade that for some of your 2005 regs! :p

If I knew then what I know now...

I started in 2005, but mostly after dec 2005, and by then most of the easy picks were taken by forumers that started in sept and oct 2005.

I believe one could register more good names in 15 minutes in sept 2005 than the whole year in 2007!
Old 18th December 2007, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
I started in 2005, but dec 2005, and by then most of the easy picks were taken by forumers that started in sept and oct 2005.

I believe one could register more good names in 15 minutes in sept 2005 than the whole year in 2007!
Agreed.

I remember seeing some that 'looked' good, but didn't make sense at the time that they would be unregistered. Coming from ascii-land, I was suspicious and assumed that they were incorrect or TMs. I still kick myself (mentally) for passing those by. I can still see them when I close my eyes! Never again! Reg first and verify later!

I was going after the wrong things in 2005. Spanish & French. Lots of late nights and fruitless searches. I was too late at the time and should have jumped to Russian much earlier. Or, Swedish, Polish, Arabic, etc. If it weren't for the early drops, I would be in much worse shape.

If I knew then what I know now....

Old 18th December 2007, 07:49 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I started in 2005, but mostly after dec 2005, and by then most of the easy picks were taken by forumers that started in sept and oct 2005.

Yep, 2008 is the year the FS of IDN will emerge. The guy that is prepared to follow his dream and leverage his resources to the limit. Yep, guys that is how FS did it. He maxed out his credit card in the secondary market to get the best names. Of course he got most of his at Snapnames, but the drops game is not what it was. Most domain owners are now too savy to let good stuff drop on a regular basis. OK, he didn't plunge into a market with no traffic, but we are no longer talking about markets with no traffic!
Old 18th December 2007, 07:54 AM

zenmarketing is an unknown quantity at this point

I think there's room for an FS in every major language and economy.

Quote:
I started in very late December, 2006. Basically my entire portfolio to date was built in 2007.

I barely bothered hand regging anything. Pretty fruitless in Chinese, from what I found.

I think you could register more good names in 15 seconds in May, 2004 than in the whole year of 2007.

There are many, many single domains registered May, 2004 that eclipse my entire porfolio in terms of value. A portfolio that took me a year and significant amounts of money to build.

In many cases, individual domainers hold dozens or hundreds of these names.

I can't imagine the wealth that is in store for them.

Last edited by zenmarketing; 18th December 2007 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 18th December 2007, 08:11 AM

Can you imagine jumping in now? Unless you are a native speaker.....

Native speakers can pick out what non-native speakers left over and can develop sites faster. They can also sell development skills to the non-native speakers.

I still find some pretty cool unregistered IDNs from time to time. Nothing like the old days....

Funny that what I used to pass up, I now sometimes register.
Old 18th December 2007, 10:09 AM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:
Can you imagine jumping in now? Unless you are a native speaker.....
A competent speaker is good enough, no need to be a native speaker.

Old 18th December 2007, 10:14 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmarketing
In many cases, individual domainers hold dozens or hundreds of these names.

I can't imagine the wealth that is in store for them.

There will be more opportunities coming ahead, but one needs to be extremely liquid and attentive.