IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th March 2006, 11:16 AM

NameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enough
Whats the value of 1 char Chinese-Simp .COM name?

Just curious, but what is the going value for a single character .COM in Chinese simplified.

For instance, I have:

享.com (ENJOY) (38,300,000 google cn results)

I am looking for an overall discussion on the value of a single character like this considering it's not a product or something with bid values, and I also have another part to this question:

享 - translates to "ENJOY"
享用 - also translates to "ENJOY"

I see this a lot in Simplified Chinese. How do I know which version is right? Is it really just one character or does it need the 用 in addition to it to really mean enjoy? 用 translates to "use, apply". When I do a lot of reverse meanings I usually get two characters for the word, even though just the one character really means that word. Someone with expertise in this area, please clarify.
Old 17th March 2006, 11:31 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
Re: Whats the value of 1 char Chinese-Simp .COM name?

Classical Chinese or Literary Chinese, ie. that language which from the times of Confucius until the early 20th Century was used as the official written language, almost always used only single character words, where in many cases, modern Chinese, which is a written vernacular, will use a two character combination for the same word. So, a single character conveys meaning, in a terse and compact kind of way. A meaning that is, for the popular characters, understood in Japan and Korea as well, since they adapted Classical Chinese, unlike many vernacular and specific two character combinations that aren't the same. Therefore, it is estimated that the value of good single character domains is going to be very high.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 17th March 2006 at 11:46 AM..
Old 17th March 2006, 12:47 PM

NameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
Classical Chinese used only single character words,

modern Chinese will use a two character combination for the same word.
If modern day Chinese uses two character combos as the word instead the old way of single characters, then how does that make single, outdated characters more valuable today?
Old 17th March 2006, 01:06 PM

sakillll is an unknown quantity at this point

享受
Old 17th March 2006, 01:25 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
Classical Chinese or Literary Chinese, ie. that language which from the times of Confucius until the early 20th Century was used as the official written language, almost always used only single character words, where in many cases, modern Chinese, which is a written vernacular, will use a two character combination for the same word. So, a single character conveys meaning, in a terse and compact kind of way. A meaning that is, for the popular characters, understood in Japan and Korea as well, since they adapted Classical Chinese, unlike many vernacular and specific two character combinations that aren't the same. Therefore, it is estimated that the value of good single character domains is going to be very high.
Value of my portolio just soared. One of earliest strategies was to sift through the entire Unicode table for distinctive Chinese Characters, registering anything with good Google scores and a positive emotive feel to it!
Old 17th March 2006, 03:11 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NameYourself
If modern day Chinese uses two character combos as the word instead the old way of single characters, then how does that make single, outdated characters more valuable today?

Most Chinese treat pair and quad character names as bringing good luck.
Old 17th March 2006, 07:10 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Most Chinese treat pair and quad character names as bringing good luck.
Well that to me suggests High Brandable rather than Premium Generic.

Rubber Duck
Old 17th March 2006, 07:14 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice
Unhappy Re: Whats the value of 1 char Chinese-Simp .COM name?

http://www.idnforums.com/forums/1327...r-chinese.html

I have a list of available one char chinese char I have done two months ago.
At that time I only registerd a few. However I MUST EAT MY HAT now because I didn't notice and I missed a few very nice ones that were on my list, but I didn't check them correctly! ARGH!!!!

That one, 享, was one of them, not a top one thought, but I was going to register it next. 買.net BUY.net and 賣.net SELL.net, were also on my listm but because they were .net, I passed. IDner got them recently.

But what I most regret loosing was 社. This one I lost because it gave me lousy results on OT tw and hk, BUT I didn't check OT JAPAN!!!! It's rocks on Japan!

Tonight I going after the few good ones left. One of them is
症 [zheng4] /disease/illness/ (trad=simpl)

Here's a bonus: 診.net
Old 17th March 2006, 07:29 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose
買.net BUY.net and 賣.net SELL.net

These are exceptional, because BUY and SELL are single character words in the first place (as is the case for most VERBS), so it doesn't matter if they are .net.

Like i registered 房.NET and 食.NET (US OVT 52), Housing.net and Food.net. They are inferior as compared to twin character version counterpart though, but nevertheless worth a bet.

Last edited by touchring; 17th March 2006 at 07:49 PM..
Old 17th March 2006, 07:30 PM
Veteran

Just a small selection with higher Google Scores

xn--4kq.net 二
xn--ehq.net 三
xn--wbs.net 四
xn--dlq.net 五
xn--65q.net 六
xn--7gq.net 七
xn--45q.net 八
xn--fhq.com 上
xn--fiq.com 中
xn--ihq.net 不
xn--rcr.net 到
xn--ykq.net 了
xn--rcr.com 到
xn--hor.net 及
xn--onq.net 以
xn--gmq.net 人
xn--ujq.net 也
xn--jpr.net 可
xn--ciq.net 个
xn--9iq.net 之
xn--6kq.com 于
xn--g6q.net 其
xn--nqq.net 位
xn--1nr.net 去
xn--hxy.net 的
xn--b6q.net 共
xn--5nq.net 件
xn--vuq.net 信
xn--8mq.com 他
xn--2rq.net 使
xn--kbr.net 分
xn--tiq.net 主
xn--kpr.net 台
xn--hlr.com 卡
xn--2qq.net 作
xn--yfr.net 加
xn--zlr.net 即
xn--9kr.net 博
xn--uor.net 受
xn--94q.com 免
xn--i1x.net 版
xn--o1q.net 像
xn--3kq.net 事
xn--jny.net 用
xn--pss.net 大
xn--2ov.com 會
xn--2vq.com 個
xn--vsq.net 供
xn--5us.com 好
xn--0tr.com 和
xn--tfr.net 力
xn--css.net 多
xn--zov.net 最
xn--xcr.net 制
xn--mkr.net 千
xn--rpy.net 當
xn--8ov.net 有
xn--0iv.com 是
xn--nov.net 更
xn--kcr.com 利
xn--fjq.net 乐

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon
Old 17th March 2006, 07:30 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Well that to me suggests High Brandable rather than Premium Generic.

Rubber Duck

There's no fix rule whether 1 character or 2 character is more generic - the easiest way is to check US OVT.

If there are less than 20 searches for a keyword on Yahoo.com in a month, it will not show any US OVT, so it's not possible to know if a keyword has US OVT 19 or US OVT 0.

Last edited by touchring; 17th March 2006 at 07:43 PM..
Old 17th March 2006, 08:15 PM

59domain is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Just a small selection with higher Google Scores

xn--4kq.net 二
xn--ehq.net 三
xn--wbs.net 四
xn--dlq.net 五
xn--65q.net 六
xn--7gq.net 七
xn--45q.net 八

So that's where the number went
Old 17th March 2006, 08:18 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Any idea if 庫 warehouse/storehouse/ is used as simpl(库) on China?!
Old 17th March 2006, 08:21 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59domain
So that's where the number went

Yes, the numbers are the most interesting of Dave's collection. I only managed get 九.NET (Longevity Net) .

Quote:
Any idea if 庫 warehouse/storehouse/ is used as simpl(库) on China?!
The Chinese word for warehouse is 仓库 (US OVT 25).

Last edited by touchring; 17th March 2006 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 17th March 2006, 09:42 PM
Veteran

Exclamation Re: Whats the value of 1 char Chinese-Simp .COM name?

Hey, hey! THE RACE IS ON! Someone is registering everything, RIGHT NOW! All 1 char will be gone tomorrow! Someone just got this from my list the moment I was going to register them: (some were on my shoppingcart but I was too slow)

您 –you
探- search
修 - repair
聊 – chat
楼 – tower

Damn, a gift to the dude that registered that: 屁
Old 17th March 2006, 10:22 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Hey, hey! THE RACE IS ON! Someone is registering everything, RIGHT NOW! All 1 char will be gone tomorrow!
Damn, a gift to the dude that registered that: 屁
There's only a few thousand characters that are used most of the time. They are bound to be ALL GONE sooner rather than later.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 17th March 2006 at 10:37 PM..
Old 17th March 2006, 10:33 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

Are you sure that the traditional version was not registered (if you were trying to register Simplified)? This has happened to just about everyone here - Simplified Chinese domain appears available, but when you try to register it you get an error because the Traditional version is already registered. The Simplified version is blocked in this case but appears available from the registrar.

It sure does make cataloging the available names much harder.
Old 17th March 2006, 10:49 PM
Veteran

No, it was not a Variant issue. I am sure. I have pretty good experience with .com and .net Variants now. What I just don't get are .tv Variants... but that's another story.

Well, It's Friday night and I am going out. See you all 6 hours later
Old 17th March 2006, 10:52 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Well, It's Friday night and I am going out. See you all 6 hours later
The time to go out on Fridays is a year from now.
Old 17th March 2006, 11:09 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

Actually, a year from now we'll be going out every night.