IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th December 2007, 12:33 AM

htmlindex is on a distinguished roadhtmlindex is on a distinguished roadhtmlindex is on a distinguished roadhtmlindex is on a distinguished roadhtmlindex is on a distinguished roadhtmlindex is on a distinguished road
Cheapest place to register IDNs

I was wondering where's the cheapest place to register IDNs? I know you can get them @ Dynadot for $8.99 but is there anywhere else cheaper?

Can IDNs be registered @ Name.com? I know they sell .com & .net for $5.99 each but do they support IDNs?
Old 20th December 2007, 01:54 AM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy
Re: Cheapest place to register IDNs

Quote:
Originally Posted by htmlindex
I was wondering where's the cheapest place to register IDNs? I know you can get them @ Dynadot for $8.99 but is there anywhere else cheaper?

Can IDNs be registered @ Name.com? I know they sell .com & .net for $5.99 each but do they support IDNs?
yes
Old 20th December 2007, 09:37 AM

htmlindex is on a distinguished roadhtmlindex is on a distinguished roadhtmlindex is on a distinguished roadhtmlindex is on a distinguished roadhtmlindex is on a distinguished roadhtmlindex is on a distinguished road

That's good to hear. So, I just enter the xn--whatever.com into Name.com, correct?
Old 20th December 2007, 09:39 AM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:
That's good to hear. So, I just enter the xn--whatever.com into Name.com, correct?
Do not register a bunch of names at someplace other than domainsite or dynadot if you are just going to try to sell them. Most people here only use domainsite or dynadot, and a few enom. Dynadot is by far the best, and if you spend over $500 then the price drops to 7.50 for dot coms and 5.75 i believe it is for dot nets.

Old 20th December 2007, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
Do not register a bunch of names at someplace other than domainsite or dynadot if you are just going to try to sell them. Most people here only use domainsite or dynadot, and a few enom. Dynadot is by far the best, and if you spend over $500 then the price drops to 7.50 for dot coms and 5.75 i believe it is for dot nets.

Is there something wrong with registering IDNs with Name.com or is it just people here don't like any other companies besids Dynadot, Domainsite & Enom?
Old 20th December 2007, 11:00 AM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Is there something wrong with registering IDNs with Name.com or is it just people here don't like any other companies besids Dynadot, Domainsite & Enom?

People don't want to create accounts at 15 different registrars to hold their domains.

Old 20th December 2007, 11:11 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
Do not register a bunch of names at someplace other than domainsite or dynadot if you are just going to try to sell them. Most people here only use domainsite or dynadot, and a few enom. Dynadot is by far the best, and if you spend over $500 then the price drops to 7.50 for dot coms and 5.75 believe it is for dot nets.
Above is good advice. $7.50 and $5.75 are correct if you put the required amout of bulk money in the account.
You don't have to spend it all at once, so you have a period to use it, but it is not refundable for cash.
Also, Dynadot allows a 4 day "cancellation" period if you find a domain is incorrect.
Old 20th December 2007, 03:51 PM

domain_trader is an unknown quantity at this point

DomainSite are $7 for .com. The 50c-$1 that you save over Dynadot is only worth it if you are confident that your translation is correct and you are not into domain tasting. Personally, I am not convinced that domain tasting has much value with IDNs and I only occasionally stuff up with translations (e.g., if I'm mucking about with Russian), so I mainly go through DomainSite.
Old 20th December 2007, 04:21 PM

g is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
domainsite.com is name.com .... both are one company as far as I understand
Old 20th December 2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g
domainsite.com is name.com .... both are one company as far as I understand
Yes, but can you push from name.com to domainsite.com without adding a renewal fee and 5 day wait?

Old 20th December 2007, 04:40 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by domain_trader
Personally, I am not convinced that domain tasting has much value with IDNs
With the top names long gone, and what little traffic is showing up at this time it isn't even worth trying.
Old 20th December 2007, 05:00 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

interesting, name.com is 50 cents cheaper than domainsite.com!

Anyone moving over?
Old 20th December 2007, 07:43 PM

domain_trader is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
With the top names long gone, and what little traffic is showing up at this time it isn't even worth trying.
Yep. But even with some of the IDNs that get okay traffic (like 50-100 hits per month), I find that they take a bit of time to warm up (like a few weeks). Not sure why this is. Search engine placement doesn't seem to explain it, because it happens even for domains that are ranked very low in the search engines. Has anyone else noticed this?

Last edited by domain_trader; 20th December 2007 at 09:30 PM..
Old 20th December 2007, 09:07 PM

Noemi is an unknown quantity at this point

i have too many @ domainsite to bother moving over.
Old 20th December 2007, 10:13 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by domain_trader
Yep. But even with some of the IDNs that get okay traffic (like 50-100 hits per month), I find that they take a bit of time to warm up (like a few weeks). Not sure why this is. Search engine placement doesn't seem to explain it, because it happens even for domains that are ranked very low in the search engines. Has anyone else noticed this?

well, yes, SERP gains, but once the search engines detect parking, it will be gone soon after. same with PPC, declines after two months.