IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th December 2007, 08:04 AM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm
Last names?

Does anybody here specialize in collecting last names, I mean like owning the majority of the top 50 last names from the same language?

Are these generally considered to be worthwhile investments?

Old 20th December 2007, 09:09 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: Last names?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
Does anybody here specialize in collecting last names, I mean like owning the majority of the top 50 last names from the same language?

Are these generally considered to be worthwhile investments?

No worthless. The fact that one of my Russian ones out performs even my top generics and cities means nothing.
Old 20th December 2007, 09:23 AM

g is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished road

don't bulk register ... pick one or two and test the waters

after a while you will be bored of them and it will be easy to drop 2 names not 50!
Old 20th December 2007, 09:37 AM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
No worthless. The fact that one of my Russian ones out performs even my top generics and cities means nothing.
LOL :-)

I have a pretty good collection of the top Finnish last names which use UTF-8 characters. I thought that someday I might offer email forwarding and homepage/blog services. They do get a few visits while being parked, but no revenue so far. It's a tiny market, but you never know. On the other hand, people could just register domains with their whole name instead of wanting to participate in a shared last name domain...

Old 20th December 2007, 10:21 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
LOL :-)

I have a pretty good collection of the top Finnish last names which use UTF-8 characters. I thought that someday I might offer email forwarding and homepage/blog services. They do get a few visits while being parked, but no revenue so far. It's a tiny market, but you never know. On the other hand, people could just register domains with their whole name instead of wanting to participate in a shared last name domain...

Think about how Companies are named Worldwide. The biggest single trend that has persisted since the year dot is to name the company after the founder(s). Obviously this is a TM disaster area, as nobody really has any claim over common surnames, but most are still stuck in this hole. This has to be the biggest source of traffic leakage in the entire universe, and there is basically not a damned thing they can do about it.
Old 20th December 2007, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Think about how Companies are named Worldwide. The biggest single trend that has persisted since the year dot is to name the company after the founder(s). Obviously this is a TM disaster area, as nobody really has any claim over common surnames, but most are still stuck in this hole. This has to be the biggest source of traffic leakage in the entire universe, and there is basically not a damned thing they can do about it.

Good point. I guess I'm pretty happy with my collection, then.

Old 20th December 2007, 11:28 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by g
don't bulk register ... pick one or two and test the waters

after a while you will be bored of them and it will be easy to drop 2 names not 50!
Just to clarify my point omitting the original attempt at humour.

There is on need to test the waters. Family names are gold dust, and personal names are also pretty valuable.

Jackson obviously got the point, but I seem to have confused most of the rest of the forum.
Old 20th December 2007, 11:43 AM

Quote:
The other major leakage would be the widespread usage of generic names as business names across the arabic world. This is quite a phenomenon. For many generic arabic terms, you can search and find hundreds of major businesses using the same term as their main business name. Obviously, this will increase competition for these names.

Old 20th December 2007, 12:11 PM
Veteran

Quote:
The other major leakage would be the widespread usage of generic names as business names across the arabic world. This is quite a phenomenon. For many generic arabic terms, you can search and find hundreds of major businesses using the same term as their main business name. Obviously, this will increase competition for these names.

To put it in western terms, it is much tougher for Apple than Google to defend their TM.
Old 20th December 2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
To put it in western terms, it is much tougher for Apple than Google to defend their TM.

Complaints of infringing on abstract trademarks via parking programs will become an issue, though, I predict.

Old 20th December 2007, 01:39 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Complaints of infringing on abstract trademarks via parking programs will become an issue, though, I predict.

I am sure it will become an issue. And in the US Justice belongs to those with deep pockets. The arguments, however, are weak unless you can be shown to be deliberately targeting their business, rather than them taking advantage of yours. If you owned Apple.com and targeted with words like Apple or Fruit, there would be no case to answer. If, however, they could show that you were using Keywords like iPhone or Computer, then of course they would have a strong case as you would be infringing an abstract Trademark.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 20th December 2007 at 02:09 PM..
Old 20th December 2007, 01:52 PM

burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point

I like first names. I have gobs of them in many languages. I agree with RD, except that gold 'dust' is an understatement.
Old 20th December 2007, 09:13 PM

Noemi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsinternet
I like first names. I have gobs of them in many languages. I agree with RD, except that gold 'dust' is an understatement.
I bought a bunch after you told me you had them. (other than my name)
Old 20th December 2007, 09:32 PM

burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point

I would never give away my secrets, Noemi. You must be thinking of someone else?

:p

Old 20th December 2007, 10:01 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

This is the richest last name i own 川本.jp

Gensiro Kawamoto is a Japanese billionaire, who invested in Hawaiʻi real estate in the late 1980s, when he bought more than 170 properties, including many Oʻahu homes.

In 2006, Kawamoto announced that he would rent some of the 18 homes he owns on Kāhala Avenue, most purchased for between $2 million and $20 million, to native Hawaiian families for $150 - $200 per month.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gensiro_Kawamoto
Old 21st December 2007, 12:25 AM
мембер

glow is on a distinguished roadglow is on a distinguished roadglow is on a distinguished roadglow is on a distinguished roadglow is on a distinguished roadglow is on a distinguished road

have only one путин.com putin.com
Old 21st December 2007, 01:21 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

by the way, for chinese and korean, the first name is the last name.
Old 21st December 2007, 01:28 AM

Silhouette is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
by the way, for chinese and korean, the first name is the last name.
??
So, is it Gong Li or Li Gong? Yao Ming or Ming Yao ?
Old 21st December 2007, 01:35 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silhouette
??
So, is it Gong Li or Li Gong? Yao Ming or Ming Yao ?

Gong is the surname. Yao is the surname. don't register the worng thing! :p

So, if you call Gong Li, you are calling both name and surname. Sounds rude isn't it?
Old 21st December 2007, 01:45 AM

Silhouette is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Gong is the surname. Yao is the surname.
Thanks. This clears all doubts and let's hope no one makes the same mistake again.

Quote:
don't register the worng thing! :p
thanks, .... saves me some bucks