IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st December 2007, 06:20 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
So which ccTLDs to invest in?

Following Touchrings concept we can analyse all ccTLDs it would seem:

Dot DE
http://www.google.com/trends?q=.de%2...ate=all&sort=0
Super Star

Dot FR
http://www.google.com/trends?q=.fr%2...ate=all&sort=0
Star

Dot co.uk
http://www.google.com/trends?q=.co.u...ate=all&sort=0
Buy

Dot es
http://www.google.com/trends?q=.es%2...ate=all&sort=0
Buy

Dot se
http://www.google.com/trends?q=.se%2...ate=all&sort=0
Super Star

Dot cz
http://www.google.com/trends?q=.cz%2...ate=all&sort=0
Mega Star

Dot ru
http://www.google.com/trends?q=.ru%2...ate=all&sort=0
Mega Star

Dot in
http://www.google.com/trends?q=.in%2...ate=all&sort=0
Complete Dog

Dot cn
http://www.google.com/trends?q=.cn%2...ate=all&sort=0
Very Poor

Dot Jp
http://www.google.com/trends?q=%2Cco...ate=all&sort=0
No traffic at all to speak of from Japan.

Same with Korea, no data.
Old 21st December 2007, 06:27 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1
Re: So which ccTLDs to invest in?

In Japan Yahoo has over 90% of the search market so using trends would not reflect the amount of people searching for .jp correct ?
Old 21st December 2007, 06:37 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegenius1
In Japan Yahoo has over 90% of the search market so using trends would not reflect the amount of people searching for .jp correct ?
Sorry, see what you mean!

This could be analysed another way, if you actually got data from the registeries, like the stuff we saw for Runet on browsers.
Old 21st December 2007, 07:46 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Sorry, see what you mean!

This could be analysed another way, if you actually got data from the registeries, like the stuff we saw for Runet on browsers.
sorry but your logic is flawed.... alot of members .jp names are getting traffic
Old 21st December 2007, 08:26 PM

zenmarketing is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a possible flaw in the analysis because a user who is pre-disposed to use Google for search (which is where the data comes from) may also be more likely to use .com rather than their local ccTLD.
Old 21st December 2007, 08:48 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDNCowboy
sorry but your logic is flawed.... alot of members .jp names are getting traffic
I am not getting the impression that many including Rhys are getting natural type in as opposed to search generated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmarketing
There is a possible flaw in the analysis because a user who is pre-disposed to use Google for search (which is where the data comes from) may also be more likely to use .com rather than their local ccTLD.
Acknowledged. The model does seem to breakdown for Japanese and Korean, but there is also little firm evidence that is wrong. All opinions welcome on this.

I am very encouraged by Russian. At the moment dot com is a low percentage of total traffic. I think that will rise with IDN simply because it has taken a long time for the Russian to get their act together.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 21st December 2007 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 21st December 2007, 09:21 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Even average names in .jp do well , (not that they don't in dot com) But a google trends report would not encourage me where to invest as far as ext. . See stats below from a random name from my .jp folio for the month of December so far. Last time i checked the ovt on this term it was approx. 20k. Ofcourse most of the traffic is coming from se's but follow the money. Most of the parked money is coming from se's as well , assuming its type in's is just assuming.

Totals Impressions 1,517 Clicks 365 Earnings $31.34

Averages 89 21 24.06% $20.66 $1.84

monetized through G.A

Last edited by thegenius1; 21st December 2007 at 09:40 PM..
Old 21st December 2007, 09:36 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Even average names in .jp do well , (not that they don't in dot com) But a google trends report would not encourage me where to invest as for as ext. . See stats below from a random name from my .jp folio for the month of December so far. Last time i checked the ovt on this term in was approx. 20k. Ofcourse most of the traffic is coming from se's but follow the money. Most of the parked money is coming from se's as well , assuming its type in's is just assuming.

Totals Impressions 1,517 Clicks 365 Earnings $31.34

Averages 89 21 24.06% $20.66 $1.84

monetized through G.A
RD when you know that you failed by not doing something you love to point out the flaws showing your jealousy.....

I know you missed the .jp boat... Don't pull up irrelevant stats to bury our investments.
Old 21st December 2007, 09:38 PM
Veteran

Quote:
RD when you know that you failed by not doing something you love to point out the flaws showing your jealousy.....

I know you missed the .jp boat... Don't pull up irrelevant stats to bury our investments.
If this really is a typical performance from your .JP portfolios, why the hell would you care what I think?
Old 21st December 2007, 09:58 PM

If this really is a typical performance from your .com portfolios, why the hell would you care what Rick says...
Old 21st December 2007, 10:06 PM
Veteran

Quote:
If this really is a typical performance from your .com portfolios, why the hell would you care what Rick says...
I don't believe I made such a claim, but Genius did and you backed it up!

I have taken a line in recent months that I don't really have an issue with Rick. I have found his behaviour a little difficult to understand, but accept that the explanation is that we are both starting from different departure points. I have publicly accepted his account of the flowers.mobi episode. I don't respect it greatly as an investment decision but I accept that what he done as he described on his own blog. As far as I am concerned the issue is closed.
Old 21st December 2007, 10:09 PM

Quote:
I don't believe I made such a claim .
you are a comedian ;-)

You have made many comments when ascii ppl have denounced IDNs and have backed up your claims with names from your own portfolio.
Old 21st December 2007, 10:12 PM
Veteran

Quote:
you are a comedian ;-)

You have made many comments when ascii ppl have denounced IDNs and have backed up your claims with names from your own portfolio.
Bollocks, I have never suggested that a name taken at random from my portfolio was making over $300 per year. If that were true, I would be bringing in over a million dollars a year. If that were so do you really think I would be wasting my time here being lambasted by the likes of you?
Old 21st December 2007, 10:27 PM

Just to clarify i never said this domain was making over $300 a year. I simply stated what the stats for this month are as of the 21st. But after looking at my stats for it starting Jan. 22 2007 it has earned $234.47 so far.

Totals 14,136 2,919 $234.47
Averages 65 13 20.65% $16.59 $1.08

I say that to say names do fluctuate , just because it made a good bit this month it may only make reg fee next month ect.
Old 22nd December 2007, 05:36 AM
Veteran

I didn't have a problem with the statistics of the domain. Where I do have a problem is the taken at random bit. As a mathematician I know that at random is an almost meaningless statement, but lets just say that the result is highly convenient.

Quote:
Just to clarify i never said this domain was making over $300 a year. I simply stated what the stats for this month are as of the 21st. But after looking at my stats for it starting Jan. 22 2007 it has earned $234.47 so far.

Totals 14,136 2,919 $234.47
Averages 65 13 20.65% $16.59 $1.08

I say that to say names do fluctuate , just because it made a good bit this month it may only make reg fee next month ect.
Old 22nd December 2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I didn't have a problem with the statistics of the domain. Where I do have a problem is the taken at random bit. As a mathematician I know that at random is an almost meaningless statement, but lets just say that the result is highly convenient.
The domain was picked at random from yesterdays top 5 earners. To be more specific it was actually my #4 earner of the day yesterday. I choose to say at random because more or less it was , i felt as though i didn't pick my best performer nor my best name.
Old 22nd December 2007, 12:30 PM
Veteran

Quote:
The domain was picked at random from yesterdays top earners. To be more specific it was actually my #4 earner of the day yesterday. I choose to say at random because more or less it was , i felt as though i didn't pick my best performer nor my best name.
My point exactly! Thankyou.
Old 22nd December 2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
My point exactly! Thankyou.
NP , and my point is .jp's get just a much traffic as .com like initially said.
Old 22nd December 2007, 01:18 PM
Veteran

Quote:
NP , and my point is .jp's get just a much traffic as .com like initially said.
As these are developed site rather than parking that is something of a moot point.

We all know that traffic revenues from developed sites is often in inverse proportion to the quality of the Keyword which is why top portfolio holders have made no real progress with development, whilst those with two word combos in dodgy extension have made hay!
Old 22nd December 2007, 01:25 PM

Quote:
As these are developed site rather than parking that is something of a moot point.

We all know that traffic revenues from developed sites is often in inverse proportion to the quality of the Keyword which is why top portfolio holders have made no real progress with development, whilst those with two word combos in dodgy extension have made hay!

Are you calling .jp a dodgy ext. ?

As far a speaking for portfolio holders its usually better to speak for oneself.