IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 17th March 2006, 11:50 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,864
iTrader: (60)
Rep Power: 2203
bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
IDN Website Catagories- Help Appreciated

Olney gave his permission to get input from forum members on our organization of IDN World Languages and catagories from forum members. We have been working for the last month on a website we have under design- idnbrokers.com where you can bulk list IDNs for sale and we are finally on the last leg.

We are hoping to be up and running this coming Monday or Tuesday and sincerely appreciate any input on the following Catagories or Subcatagories (where we need the most help). I would like to again thank Olney for letting us get input here, and thank you guys in advance for your help.

IDN Domains:
Arabic
Chinese
French
German
Greek
Hebrew
Indian
Japanese
Korean
Portuguese
Russian/Cryllic
Spanish
Thai
Vietnamese
Miscellaneous s-
Any other popular languages being registered now?

SUBCATAGORIES:
Adult
Advertising
Auto
Business
Cities
Education
Employment/Jobs
Entertainment
Events- Holidays
Games
Health
Horoscope
Internet
Marketing
Names
Numbers
People
Places
Real Estate
Science
Sports
Technology
Travel
Weather
Single Letter/Symbol
Two Letter/Symbol
Three Letter/Symbol

Thank you for your input. Bill

Last edited by bwhhisc; 18th March 2006 at 10:35 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 18th March 2006, 01:50 AM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 7,495
iTrader: (65)
Rep Power: 2679
blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
Re: IDN Website Catagories- Help Appreciated

Indic Scripts probably is better.
Russian/Cyrillic covers things like Bulgarian, Ukrainian.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 18th March 2006, 02:27 AM
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: On the Road
Posts: 2,276
iTrader: (50)
Rep Power: 1221
thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive
Re: IDN Website Catagories- Help Appreciated

Maybe add an 'Other' category for those less common languages - like Czech, Swedish, etc. There probably are not enough of these IDNs among use to really fill an entire section, but an 'Other' category would be appropriate.
__________________
IDN? What's an IDN?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 18th March 2006, 02:45 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,864
iTrader: (60)
Rep Power: 2203
bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
Re: IDN Website Catagories- Help Appreciated

Thanks for the input guys...all is appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 18th March 2006, 04:23 AM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,699
iTrader: (50)
Rep Power: 1248
gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road
Re: IDN Website Catagories- Help Appreciated

Bill, how about a category for employment/jobs?
__________________
-----
Offers by e-mail, PM or forum post valid for 5 days
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 18th March 2006, 05:34 AM
yanni's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,220
iTrader: (34)
Rep Power: 1152
yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni
Re: IDN Website Catagories- Help Appreciated

Don't forget Korean.

For sub cats add games unless it falls under entertainment, and shopping.

Good Luck with your project!

Last edited by yanni; 18th March 2006 at 05:37 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 18th March 2006, 08:21 AM
Clotho's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 765
iTrader: (20)
Rep Power: 1458
Clotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enough
Re: IDN Website Catagories- Help Appreciated

I think that the categories of employment and education are prudent as well.

Kudos to your efforts. I look forward to seeing the results!

Last edited by Clotho; 18th March 2006 at 08:24 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 18th March 2006, 10:36 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,864
iTrader: (60)
Rep Power: 2203
bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
Re: IDN Website Catagories- Help Appreciated

All added to list...thank you again for your suggestions. We should be up and running sometime Monday. All ideas welcome. Bill
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 18th March 2006, 10:53 AM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,699
iTrader: (50)
Rep Power: 1248
gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road
Re: IDN Website Catagories- Help Appreciated

Another category: pets/animals
__________________
-----
Offers by e-mail, PM or forum post valid for 5 days
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 18th March 2006, 08:33 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,864
iTrader: (60)
Rep Power: 2203
bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
Re: IDN Website Catagories- Help Appreciated

Any more ideas welcome, were adding them to site...THANK YOU ALL!! And again, thanks Olney.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 18th March 2006, 08:36 PM
sarcle's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 3,717
iTrader: (22)
Rep Power: 1729
sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough
Re: IDN Website Catagories- Help Appreciated

Holy cow Bill. Looks like you got the majority covered. Nice work.

You've been busy!
__________________
I can hear the death rattle of fiat from here...
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 18th March 2006, 08:56 PM
mulligan's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,253
iTrader: (78)
Rep Power: 2029
mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough
Re: IDN Website Catagories- Help Appreciated

Casino/Gambling
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 18th March 2006, 09:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,806
iTrader: (19)
Rep Power: 685
Giant is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: IDN Website Catagories- Help Appreciated

What do you mean Japanese? Does it also include Kanji?

When the Japanese say Kanji, they really mean Chinese Hanzi.

When the Chinese say Chinese, they mean Chinese Hanzi.

So, it does not matter whether you call them Kanji or Chinese, they are actually Hanzi.
__________________
@

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 18th March 2006, 09:17 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,864
iTrader: (60)
Rep Power: 2203
bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
Re: IDN Website Catagories- Help Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
What do you mean Japanese? Does it also include Kanji?
When the Japanese say Kanji, they really mean Chinese Hanzi.
When the Chinese say Chinese, they mean Chinese Hanzi.
So, it does not matter whether you call them Kanji or Chinese, they are actually Hanzi.
Thanks Giant. I believe that a catagory (like Japanese) would include all scripts and IDNs registered to that country or languages. We are trying to get overall language headers so if someone is interested in Japanese domains they can find them all in one section. From there you can sort by catagory, price etc. Tell me the best way to list these and we will try to incorporate. Bill
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 18th March 2006, 11:28 PM
vgemito's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 123
iTrader: (15)
Rep Power: 512
vgemito is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: IDN Website Catagories- Help Appreciated

Subcategories:

Computer
Food / Dining
Products & Services
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 19th March 2006, 01:05 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,806
iTrader: (19)
Rep Power: 685
Giant is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: IDN Website Catagories- Help Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
Thanks Giant. I believe that a catagory (like Japanese) would include all scripts and IDNs registered to that country or languages. We are trying to get overall language headers so if someone is interested in Japanese domains they can find them all in one section. From there you can sort by catagory, price etc. Tell me the best way to list these and we will try to incorporate. Bill
Bill, you are probably the first one to categarize IDN domains on the web, so you are lucky enough to have a chance to discuss the Hanzi domains categorization and set the standard for other domain companies to follow.

Ex: 小說.com (novel in both Chinese and Japanese), registered by a Japanese.

Now, try this. Do you think it's funny if I list "novel.com" as an Australian domain but not an American domain? Well, you probably would say I wouldn't do that because it's so obvious that "novel" is an ENGLISH word.

In the same manner, if you categorize 小說.com as a Japanese domain name but not Chinese, you would make 1.4 billion Chinese laugh.

The technical papers do not call 中国.com (China.com) as a Chinese domain, they call it a Hanzi domain. So, the better technically correct way to categorize 小說.com is:

-Chinese Hanzi + Japanese Kanji

As for other Japanese, can all be put in Japanese Kana.

This is just my opinion, for fun :-).
__________________
@

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 19th March 2006, 01:33 AM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 7,495
iTrader: (65)
Rep Power: 2679
blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
Post Re: IDN Website Catagories- Help Appreciated

Kanji (漢字), literally "Han characters"), is the Japanese term for Chinese characters (Hanzi), the Chinese logographic writing system that is used, along with Hiragana (平仮名), Katakana (片仮名) and the Roman alphabet, to write modern Japanese.

Kokuji
Kokuji (国字; literally "national characters") are characters peculiar to Japan. Kokuji are also known as wasei kanji (和製漢字; lit. "Chinese characters made in Japan"). There are hundreds of kokuji (see the sci.lang.japan AFAQ list). Many are rarely used, but a number have become important additions to the written Japanese language. These include:
峠 tōge (mountain pass)
榊 sakaki (sakaki tree, genus Camellia)
畑 hatake (field of crops)
辻 tsuji (crossroads, street)
働 dō, hatara(ku) (work)

Kokkun
In addition to kokuji, there are kanji that have been given meanings in Japanese different from their original Chinese meanings. These kanji are not considered kokuji but are instead called kokkun (国訓) and include characters such as:
沖 oki (offing, offshore; Ch. chōng rinse)
森 mori (forest; Ch. sēn gloomy, majestic, luxuriant growth)
椿 tsubaki (Camellia japonicus; Ch. chūn Ailantus)

Old characters and New Characters
The same kanji character can sometimes be written in two different ways, 旧字体 (Kyūjitai; lit. "old character") (舊字體 in Kyūjitai) and 新字体 (Shinjitai; "new character"). The following are some examples of Kyūjitai followed by the corresponding Shinjitai:
國 国 kuni (country)
號 号 gō (number)
變 変 hen, ka(waru) (change)
Kyūjitai were used before the end of World War II, and are mostly, if not completely, the same as the Traditional Chinese characters. After the war the government introduced the simplified Shinjitai in the "Tōyō Kanji Character Form List" (Tōyō Kanji Jitai Hyō, 当用漢字字体表). Some of the new characters are similar to simplified characters used in the People's Republic of China. Also, like the simplification process in China, some of the shinjitai were once abbreviated forms (略字, Ryakuji) used in handwriting, but in contrast with the "proper" unsimplified characters (正字 seiji) were only acceptable in colloquial contexts.

Many Chinese characters are not used in Japanese at all. Theoretically, however, any Chinese character can also be a Japanese character—the Daikanwa Jiten, one of the largest dictionaries of kanji ever compiled, has about 50,000 entries, even though most of the entries have never been used in Japanese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanji

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 19th March 2006 at 01:35 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 19th March 2006, 01:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,806
iTrader: (19)
Rep Power: 685
Giant is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: IDN Website Catagories- Help Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
Kanji (漢字), literally "Han characters"), is the Japanese term for Chinese characters (Hanzi), the Chinese logographic writing system that is used, along with Hiragana (平仮名), Katakana (片仮名) and the Roman alphabet, to write modern Japanese.

Kokuji
Kokuji (国字; literally "national characters") are characters peculiar to Japan. Kokuji are also known as wasei kanji (和製漢字; lit. "Chinese characters made in Japan"). There are hundreds of kokuji (see the sci.lang.japan AFAQ list). Many are rarely used, but a number have become important additions to the written Japanese language. These include:
峠 tōge (mountain pass)
榊 sakaki (sakaki tree, genus Camellia)
畑 hatake (field of crops)
辻 tsuji (crossroads, street)
働 dō, hatara(ku) (work)

Kokkun
In addition to kokuji, there are kanji that have been given meanings in Japanese different from their original Chinese meanings. These kanji are not considered kokuji but are instead called kokkun (国訓) and include characters such as:
沖 oki (offing, offshore; Ch. chōng rinse)
森 mori (forest; Ch. sēn gloomy, majestic, luxuriant growth)
椿 tsubaki (Camellia japonicus; Ch. chūn Ailantus)

Old characters and New Characters
The same kanji character can sometimes be written in two different ways, 旧字体 (Kyūjitai; lit. "old character") (舊字體 in Kyūjitai) and 新字体 (Shinjitai; "new character"). The following are some examples of Kyūjitai followed by the corresponding Shinjitai:
國 国 kuni (country)
號 号 gō (number)
變 変 hen, ka(waru) (change)
Kyūjitai were used before the end of World War II, and are mostly, if not completely, the same as the Traditional Chinese characters. After the war the government introduced the simplified Shinjitai in the "Tōyō Kanji Character Form List" (Tōyō Kanji Jitai Hyō, 当用漢字字体表). Some of the new characters are similar to simplified characters used in the People's Republic of China. Also, like the simplification process in China, some of the shinjitai were once abbreviated forms (略字, Ryakuji) used in handwriting, but in contrast with the "proper" unsimplified characters (正字 seiji) were only acceptable in colloquial contexts.

Many Chinese characters are not used in Japanese at all. Theoretically, however, any Chinese character can also be a Japanese character—the Daikanwa Jiten, one of the largest dictionaries of kanji ever compiled, has about 50,000 entries, even though most of the entries have never been used in Japanese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanji
Good job! Yes, that's what I meant. Japanese characters that are also used by the Chinese should be grouped together as Hanzi + Kanji, the rest be in another group.

I own 柔道.com (Judo). If I list this domain in "Chinese", then I will lose the potential Japanese customers, but if I list it in "Hanzi + Kanji" I will have more chance to sell it.
__________________
@

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 19th March 2006, 01:59 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,864
iTrader: (60)
Rep Power: 2203
bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
Re: IDN Website Catagories- Help Appreciated

We are fortunate to have you guys to provide this information. The guys doing most of the coding on the the site are Chinese...living in Canada. I will pass all this along and will see how we can get it incorporated. Thanks again for all your input.
Now starting to think how this impacts the future values of the different idns scripts. Can you give us some ideas here.

Last edited by bwhhisc; 19th March 2006 at 02:02 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 19th March 2006, 02:16 AM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 7,495
iTrader: (65)
Rep Power: 2679
blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
Re: IDN Website Catagories- Help Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
Now starting to think how this impacts the future values of the different idns scripts. Can you give us some ideas here.
The way I see it is this: The highest value domains are going to be Single Character domains, that are from the set of characters that is used in modern Chinese, Korean, and Japanese as single character words, and share the same meaning.

Examples:

一.com one
美.com beautiful (Seen even in Korea, where fewer Chinese characters are used, on store signs.)

Next, two character combinations that mean the same thing accross these languages.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 19th March 2006 at 02:19 AM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 07:59 PM.

Site Sponsors
Your ad here
buy t-shirt
מחיר הזהב

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0
Copyright idnforums.com 2005

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54