IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th March 2006, 05:17 AM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy
anyone here registering .公司

over the .com china IDNs or .cn IDNS?

.公司 = the one in mainland china right now that needs a plugin if viewed outside of china

where is the cheapest place to reg these?
Old 18th March 2006, 06:09 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: anyone here registering .公司

You can use i-dns, it provides credit card payment facility and you can easily push the domain to another person.

I registered about 15 name, the best i could find after digging for a week, when they announced support for .公司 on the ISP level. Apparently, a few guys got the info before that and most top names were taken between Nov 05 to Feb 06.

A warning however, .公司 is not .COM. It is .company, so do not waste your money by registering things like cannot.gongsi or impossible.gongsi or can.gongsi, and other chinese words with million of google results. Go for commercial names like carrental.gongsi, aircon.gongsi. :-)

Last edited by touchring; 18th March 2006 at 06:11 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 18th March 2006, 06:13 AM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
You can use i-dns, it provides credit card payment facility and you can easily push the domain to another person.

I registered about 15 name, the best i could find after digging for a week, when they announced support for .公司 on the ISP level. Apparently, a few guys got the info before that and most top names were taken between Nov 05 to Feb 06.

A warning however, .公司 is not .COM. It is .company, so do not waste your money by registering things like cannot.gongsi or impossible.gongsi or can.gongsi, and other chinese words with million of google results. Go for commercial names like carrental.gongsi, aircon.gongsi. :-)
so you think these will be hotter than .com in china? since you bought 15? aren't these like $150/year
Old 18th March 2006, 06:18 AM

59domain is an unknown quantity at this point

You can register from one of these guys

http://cnnic.net.cn/html/Dir/2005/10/11/3217.htm

About $35 the market price.
Some has promotion that gives you .cn free for .中国 (注“.中国”送“.CN”)
Old 18th March 2006, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59domain
You can register from one of these guys

http://cnnic.net.cn/html/Dir/2005/10/11/3217.htm

About $35 the market price.
Some has promotion that gives you .cn free for .中国 (注“.中国”送“.CN”)
anything good left in this extension? :P

i wonder what will be worth more... that or .cn

i'm just staying in the JP market for now heh
Old 18th March 2006, 06:25 AM

No idea. Never checked
Old 18th March 2006, 06:29 AM

Quote:
No idea. Never checked
so CNNIC backs .cn and .IDN?
Old 18th March 2006, 06:34 AM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

From that list you pointed, what registrar are you using? Which is cheaper? Don't you need to be Chinese/have residence/have trademark registered there?

.Network will map to .net?!
.Company won't map to anything, right?

Do you think they are worth the money?
Old 18th March 2006, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose
From that list you pointed, what registrar are you using? Which is cheaper? Don't you need to be Chinese/have residence/have trademark registered there?

.Network will map to .net?!
.Company won't map to anything, right?

Do you think they are worth the money?
ICANN will have to pick a different .idn extension as it will be a big mess on who owns what....
Old 18th March 2006, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
so CNNIC backs .cn and .IDN?
You can say that. CNNIC is the national authority for the .cn country level ccTLD.

They basically manage all domain matters for China.
.IDN (ie .中国 .公司 .网络) is a local inititive not supported internationally so you will need pluging to visit the address.

.中国 is mapped to .cn so technically if you have example.cn, you have example.中国
Old 18th March 2006, 06:48 AM
Veteran

Quote:
ICANN will have to pick a different .idn extension as it will be a big mess on who owns what....
I registered with a Chinese company for 280 yuan a name - it doesn't accept credit card though so payment has to be made by bank transfer.

I think this "Some has promotion that gives you .cn free for .中国 (注“.中国”送“.CN”)" just means if you register a name like 汽车.公司, you get 汽车.公司.cn for free.

The Chinese are really going after .公司, 90% of these are registered by them, unlike .com, which the Chinese initially ignored and most landed in the hands of foreign speculators.

Quote:
so you think these will be hotter than .com in china? since you bought 15? aren't these like $150/year
I do not know if they are going to be more popular (there's also a .cn that is completing with it), but i think some are brandable, for example, i took CarInsurance.Co, CarRental.Co, WeightLoss.Co, Construction.Co to name a few. Some names just go well with the .Co extension. I also lost a few like Jewelry.Co, HouseMoving.Co by mere hours when i hesitated - that was during the first few days of March when there was a mad rush for these names.

Needless to say, those who had the info last year took names like creditcard.co, insurance.co, etc, sure winners. I blamed myself for not thinking about the .gongsi extension then.

Last edited by touchring; 18th March 2006 at 06:58 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 18th March 2006, 07:12 AM

Quote:
I registered with a Chinese company for 280 yuan a name - it doesn't accept credit card though so payment has to be made by bank transfer.

I think this "Some has promotion that gives you .cn free for .中国 (注“.中国”送“.CN”)" just means if you register a name like 汽车.公司, you get 汽车.公司.cn for free.

The Chinese are really going after .公司, 90% of these are registered by them, unlike .com, which the Chinese initially ignored and most landed in the hands of foreign speculators.

I do not know if they are going to be more popular (there's also a .cn that is completing with it), but i think some are brandable, for example, i took CarInsurance.Co, CarRental.Co, WeightLoss.Co, Construction.Co to name a few. Some names just go well with the .Co extension. I also lost a few like Jewelry.Co, HouseMoving.Co by mere hours when i hesitated - that was during the first few days of March when there was a mad rush for these names.

Needless to say, those who had the info last year took names like creditcard.co, insurance.co, etc, sure winners. I blamed myself for not thinking about the .gongsi extension then.
any good names left? How much is that in USD?
Old 18th March 2006, 07:19 AM
Veteran

Quote:
any good names left? How much is that in USD?
How good a name is is really subjective. A lot of names i won't register - like the drugs.gongsi on sale at DNF for $12,000 (and that sell.gongsi that is already sold), i won't even register them in the first place as they are not popular terms.

Of cos, for quick resale, there are plenty of dictionary words which you can still register and hope that a non-chinese speaking person that doesn't do his homework will buy them. From what we have seen so far - there are many such people around.

280 Yuan is about 35$.

Last edited by touchring; 18th March 2006 at 07:22 AM..
Old 18th March 2006, 07:21 AM

I believe the mapping is as follows
.中国 -> .cn
.公司 -> .公司.cn
.网络 -> .网络.cn
Old 18th March 2006, 07:27 AM

Quote:
I believe the mapping is as follows
.中国 -> .cn
.公司 -> .公司.cn
.网络 -> .网络.cn
not right now as these .idns aren't ICANN certified right now
and once ICANN doe make a solution those that have a word in .cn will have to spar with the owner who has hte same word in .中国
Old 18th March 2006, 07:38 AM
Veteran

Quote:
not right now as these .idns aren't ICANN certified right now
and once ICANN doe make a solution those that have a word in .cn will have to spar with the owner who has hte same word in .中国
It's currently mapped that way in China and since 99.999% of people accessing those names are in China (excluding domain speculators), it doesn't matter what ICANN decides in the end. I blame myself for not seeing this scenario much earlier, and for the possibility of resolving at the ISP level. All of us were simply put off by the plugin thing.

Last edited by touchring; 18th March 2006 at 07:41 AM..
Old 18th March 2006, 07:43 AM

Quote:
It's currently mapped that way in China and since 99.999% of people accessing those names are in China (excluding domain speculators), it doesn't matter what ICANN decides in the end. I blame myself for not seeing this scenario much earlier, and for the possibility of resolving at the ISP level. All of us were simply put off by the plugin thing.
yea but China still wants to work with ICANN and vice versa.... so now what?

Luckily i only registered 2 names

Most of my portfolio is Japanese/Russian and some Arabic.

How does an American register at that place? I can't use paypal i assume for the cheapest domain regs
Old 18th March 2006, 07:51 AM
Veteran

Quote:
yea but China still wants to work with ICANN and vice versa.... so now what?

Luckily i only registered 2 names

Most of my portfolio is Japanese/Russian and some Arabic.

How does an American register at that place? I can't use paypal i assume for the cheapest domain regs

You mean chinese.com? There's no changes to chinese.com, especially for city.com, since city names in all forms are banned for cnnic domains.

.gongsi and .zhongguo is now "booked" by China, so ICANN has to either accept it or use something else.

You have to use i-dns if you want to use credit card to pay - that's what the seller of sell.com and drugs.com did. But a warning, if you use i-dns, you have to pay their rates forever (that includes if they increase their prices) because their policy disallows domains from being transferred out of their system. This is the reason why i decided not to use them, despite the difficulty of "pushing" names. In future, if i sell any name, i can arrange extending payment for another 2-3 years or

Last edited by touchring; 18th March 2006 at 08:33 AM..
Old 18th March 2006, 07:55 AM

.中国 -> .cn
is from http://cnnic.net.cn/html/Dir/2003/11/06/1216.htm
Its says once you register .cn you automatically gets .中国

Certainly within CNNIC juristiction to do that. But in order to use world wide it must get into the root name server.

But right now these works because CNNIC do not permit registration of
.中国.cn .公司.cn .网络.cn so they can map them repectively

.中国 -> .中国.cn
.公司 -> .公司.cn
.网络 -> .网络.cn

Try

http://中软股份.公司.cn/
http://世纪互联.网络.cn/
Old 18th March 2006, 08:02 AM

Quote:
You mean chinese.com? There's no changes to chinese.com, especially for city.com, since city names in all forms are banned for cnnic domains.

.gongsi and .zhongguo is now "booked" by China, so ICANN has to either accept it or use something else.

You have to use i-dns if you want to use credit card to pay - that's what the seller of sell.com and drugs.com did. But a warning, if you use i-dns, you have to pay their rates forever (that includes if they increase their prices) because their policy disallows domains from being transferred out of their system. This is the reason why i decided not to use them, despite the difficulty of "pushing" names.
i mean if someone owns the .cn or .cn or .company they'll never own the .idn form as it looks like CNNIC is selling them separately

so the .cn .com.cn will probably be secondary extensions in China with those main .idn's being the king.

Quote:
.中国 -> .cn
is from http://cnnic.net.cn/html/Dir/2003/11/06/1216.htm
Its says once you register .cn you automatically gets .中国

Certainly within CNNIC juristiction to do that. But in order to use world wide it must get into the root name server.

But right now these works because CNNIC do not permit registration of
.中国.cn .公司.cn .网络.cn so they can map them repectively

.中国 -> .中国.cn
.公司 -> .公司.cn
.网络 -> .网络.cn

Try

http://中软股份.公司.cn/
http://世纪互联.网络.cn/
how?
PPL registering .中国 right now are not getting the .cn too

Many words are available in .中国 but not available in .cn as they had been registered months before....

when it comes time that ICANN does agree it will be the owner of the .中国 vs .cn

Last edited by IDNCowboy; 18th March 2006 at 08:04 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost