IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th December 2007, 08:15 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Am I missing something?

Online spending from Nov. 1 through Dec. 21 increased 19 percent from a year earlier to $26.3 billion, Reston, Virginia- based ComScore Inc. said yesterday in a statement.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...kHy7Q&refer=us

The UK's 27 million online shoppers are expected to have spent £15bn online in the run-up to Christmas Day - up 60% on last year, according to Interactive Media and Retail Group (IMRG), the industry body for the electronic retail community.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7158751.stm

I thought the American's spent a lot of money online. If these figures are accurate then the US market is actually smaller than the UK!
Old 25th December 2007, 09:12 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
Re: Am I missing something?

http://www.nomensa.com/news/industry...-spending.html

Looks like the Brits are online shop-o-holics!
Even trouncing Germany and all other European countries.
Old 25th December 2007, 11:03 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
http://www.nomensa.com/news/industry...-spending.html

Looks like the Brits are online shop-o-holics!
Even trouncing Germany and all other European countries.
Well if all this is accurate then .co.uk ought to be fetching as much as Dot DE and even dot Com!
Old 25th December 2007, 11:16 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Well if all this is accurate then .co.uk ought to be fetching as much as Dot DE and even dot Com!
Says to me that British internet marketing may be the frontrunner in development and penetration.
Be interesting to see a study of trends by country comparing online internet usage, to online spending.
Old 25th December 2007, 11:19 PM
Veteran

Well it certainly makes the bombastic comments of the ASCII fraternity ring a little hollow. If the UK can surpass the US, then god only knows what the Far East is capable of. Is it something to do with population density?
Old 26th December 2007, 12:08 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Not surprising that brits spend much more than americans on a per person basis, probably due to the high costs of goods at local shops.
Old 26th December 2007, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Not surprising that brits spend much more than americans on a per person basis, probably due to the high costs of goods at local shops.
Quite a disparity considering the US has 5x the internet users.

UK - 60,363,602 population -
38,512,837 Internet users in Aug./07, 63.8 % penetration, per Nielsen Net//.
13,957,111 broadband subscribers as of March/07, per ECTA

US - Population: 301,967,681 -
212,708,864 Internet users as Aug./07, 70.4% penetration, Nielsen//NetRatings.
64,614,000 Internet broadband connections as of Dec./06, per FCC-CTIA.
Old 26th December 2007, 01:06 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Well it certainly makes the bombastic comments of the ASCII fraternity ring a little hollow. If the UK can surpass the US, then god only knows what the Far East is capable of. Is it something to do with population density?

Not so sure if ecommerce in asia can take off as much as the west, for one thing, asian cities are highly compact and shopping is usually readily available within walking distance from the home.

Take for example, within 10-15 minutes walking distance from my home, i got 1 cinema, 3 supermarkets, 4 barbershops, 2 movie rental shops, 3 pharmacies, 2 seven-elevens, hundreds of eateries (there's a pizza outlet just 2 minutes walk), 3 laundry shops (one within 2 minutes walking), 2 bookshops, 1 DIY shop, a post office, a dozen bank branches, a few dozen ATM machines, a dozen specialty clinics. There must be five hundred retail shops within 15 minutes walk.

Last edited by touchring; 26th December 2007 at 01:15 AM..
Old 26th December 2007, 04:22 AM

kenne is an unknown quantity at this point

You are very lucky Touchring,
After our baby, we moved to be the same block as my work, grocery shopping. But you set an entirely new and impossible standard for a non-major-US-city downtown.

RD's stat surprises me too. Do Brits shop at Amazon.co.uk? What're their favorite haunts?US-
Old 26th December 2007, 04:53 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenne
You are very lucky Touchring,
After our baby, we moved to be the same block as my work, grocery shopping. But you set an entirely new and impossible standard for a non-major-US-city downtown.

RD's stat surprises me too. Do Brits shop at Amazon.co.uk? What're their favorite haunts?US-

I don't live downtown, but at my downtown company apartment in China, Xiamen, a small chinese city, there are thousands of shops within 15 minutes walking distance, Walmart is one direction, and Carrefour the other direction, plus another local hypermart just across the road. Many shops open till 2am in the morning.

And guess what? The wet market with slithering eels is at the basement. :o 2 years ago, there was even a row of barbershops at the next block.

Of cos, this maybe unique to southern china, and doesn't apply to many other chinese cities that i've visited.

Last edited by touchring; 26th December 2007 at 05:09 AM..
Old 26th December 2007, 09:08 AM
Veteran

Touch, you ask the pertinent questions always! How come you always screw the answers?

Internet shopping requires fast, and cheap delivery systems. If you are at a remote location in the America's Mid-West are you really going to order Pizza from a Parlour 100miles way, or would you drive into the restaurant? How much are you going to get charged for delivery?

In the UK delivery is often included in the price, which is still much cheaper than in store. This is made possible by making a lot of drops at the same time. The deliveries you have in a concentrated area, the most cost effective Internet shopping is.

Even if you live close to 20 large stores, it is going to be easier to do price comparison on line than on foot.

Large Cities are ideal for Internet commerce, not an impediment.

Kenne, Brits buy nearly everything on line. Cars, Houses, Weekly Groceries, Insurance, Take Away. You name it they buy it online.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 26th December 2007 at 09:23 AM..
Old 26th December 2007, 09:22 AM

burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point

US companies are pushing this more and more.

They realize that it saves time and money to have consumers order takeout food, for example, over the internet. That frees up employees to deliver and make food rather than answering the phone.

Many companies have 'web-only' specials. This is becoming more popular, but will take a few years to become commonplace.

B2B ordering online frees up customer service reps and salespeople, too. In fact, I daresay that this is actually much more common than B2C ordering. If we order $$ millions in goods over a year and get a discount by ordering online, everyone wins. Customer service reps get to solve problems and salespeople get to sell to new customers.

Everyone I know LOVED webvan (an online system to order groceries that were delivered to your home). I was very sad to see that company go under. It will take time for US consumers to get comfortable with ordering everything online.

Old 26th December 2007, 09:27 AM
Veteran

In the UK the options are to phone up and go through a keypad menu system often to talk to tape or someone from Bangalore or use the website. It is very difficult to speak to anyone at all about anything these days. I have never met my bank manager, although I do get to speak on the phone a couple of times of year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsinternet
US companies are pushing this more and more.

They realize that it saves time and money to have consumers order takeout food, for example, over the internet. That frees up employees to deliver and make food rather than answering the phone.

Many companies have 'web-only' specials. This is becoming more popular, but will take a few years to become commonplace.

B2B ordering online frees up customer service reps and salespeople, too. In fact, I daresay that this is actually much more common than B2C ordering. If we order $$ millions in goods over a year and get a discount by ordering online, everyone wins. Customer service reps get to solve problems and salespeople get to sell to new customers.

Everyone I know LOVED webvan (an online system to order groceries that were delivered to your home). I was very sad to see that company go under. It will take time for US consumers to get comfortable with ordering everything online.