IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th March 2006, 08:48 AM

dabsi is a tad dodgydabsi is a tad dodgydabsi is a tad dodgy
The future of IDNs: my perception

I have started with IDNs some 3 years ago, just accidently. At that time it was easy to pick some good names.

Traffic has started to explose with latin IDNs, especially with the french domains.
French always use accents intuitively. It is natural to write intérim.com with an accent aigu.

I got alos also a couple of 'golden' arabic IDNs.

Recently, i have gained the impression, that non latin IDN s will get the appropriate IDN extension, it means that latin-IDN.com will remain latin-IDN.com but
for instance arabic-IDN.com will desapear and be replaced by arabic-IDN.arabic.com

This apply for chinese, japanese etc..

and this is justified:

It is really difficult to convince in the future arabs to write in the same adress line from the right to the left and after from the left to the right.

Conclusion: concentrate on the latin IDNs

I wish, I'm wrong because of my عربي.com (arab.com)

DABSI
Old 18th March 2006, 08:59 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: The future of IDNs: my perception

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabsi
I have started with IDNs some 3 years ago, just accidently. At that time it was easy to pick some good names.

Traffic has started to explose with latin IDNs, especially with the french domains.
French always use accents intuitively. It is natural to write intérim.com with an accent aigu.

I got alos also a couple of 'golden' arabic IDNs.

Recently, i have gained the impression, that non latin IDN s will get the appropriate IDN extension, it means that latin-IDN.com will remain latin-IDN.com but
for instance arabic-IDN.com will desapear and be replaced by arabic-IDN.arabic.com

This apply for chinese, japanese etc..

and this is justified:

It is really difficult to convince in the future arabs to write in the same adress line from the right to the left and after from the left to the right.

Conclusion: concentrate on the latin IDNs

I wish, I'm wrong because of my عربي.com (arab.com)

DABSI

Chinese and Japanese write from the left to the right, so there isn't this problem. As for the right to the left, i'm pretty puzzled why my Arabic idns are doing well, if this were a problem?
Old 18th March 2006, 09:06 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Chinese and Japanese write from the left to the right, so there isn't this problem. As for the right to the left, i'm pretty puzzled why my Arabic idns are doing well, if this were a problem?
I have several Arabic, Farsi and Urdu domains with natural type in. I don't think this is much of a problem but it will all be irrelevant after DName has been tested and implemented. IDN.com will be an historical abberation for most by then, but those that bought them will control IDN.IDN.

Rubber Duck
Old 18th March 2006, 09:10 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
IDN.com will be an historical abberation for most by then, but those that bought them will control IDN.IDN.

Rubber Duck

Is that a foregone conclusion? I thought i saw another discussion thread on whether idn.idn will be altogether an independent extension? What does the official announcement from ICANN say about this?
Old 18th March 2006, 09:14 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Is that a foregone conclusion? I thought i saw another discussion thread on whether idn.idn will be altogether an independent extension? What does the official announcement from ICANN say about this?
Even if they create independent Name Space in the Root, I don't believe anyone is talking new registiies here in the short term. It will just be a different and probably much less effective way of mapping IDN.cn to IDN.IDN.
Old 18th March 2006, 09:44 AM

Clotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enough

The other discussion was primarily about the potential application of NS as one of the two possibilities offered in the test. DNAME being the other or even the coexistance of the two. I think most of us still feel that DNAME is the best and primary candidate despite the fact that we were mostly discussing the NS solution.
Old 18th March 2006, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

>for instance arabic-IDN.com will desapear and be replaced by arabic-IDN.arabic.com

But shouldn't it be arabic-com.arabic-IDN ?

I wonder how they will handle that? :^)

You guys are still arguing about DNAME over NS. I tell you, they're solutions to 2 different problems. BOTH are required. DNAME is inherently easier to implement and should be able to be switched on as soon as the tests are over and the ICANN board approves (let's hope the IP constituency are happy - they wield a lot of power). NS will be exactly the same as all new TLD's - years of arsing around before one or two get added.
Old 18th March 2006, 03:28 PM

dabsi is a tad dodgydabsi is a tad dodgydabsi is a tad dodgy

Check this link

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:...r&ct=clnk&cd=2

DABSI
Old 18th March 2006, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Holy crap Batman!

They're running their own root servers with IDN TLD's!

IDN TLD is xn--mgberp4a5d4ar

You can see it in the drop-down box here http://www.arabic-domains.org.sa/too...ns-checker.php

I wonder whois owns xn--mgberp4a5d4ar.net? :^)

Last edited by Drewbert; 18th March 2006 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 18th March 2006, 06:23 PM

Clotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
Holy crap Batman!

They're running their own root servers with IDN TLD's!

IDN TLD is xn--mgberp4a5d4ar

You can see it in the drop-down box here http://www.arabic-domains.org.sa/too...ns-checker.php

I wonder whois owns xn--mgberp4a5d4ar.net? :^)
I-Dns.net has been doing this since 1999.

http://www.i-dns.net/

It isn't difficult to set up your own root server. The hard part is getting anyone to use it.
Old 18th March 2006, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Oh yeah, alternative roots have been around for donkeys years!

But when one of them is being run by GAC members and ccTLD operators, that's another kettle of fish.

No wonder ICANN is on fasttrack.